It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots in the classrooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well to bad they didn't have these when I went to school....
Robots for sick kids (popsci)

I wonder how they will incorperate this technology next, perhaps in the workplace, call in sick..okay use your robot...d'oh

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

Thats pretty cool, especially for the kids, such as the one mentioned in the article with leukemia, who really wants to participate and learn. Now he can and does. He is able to interact with teachers and other kids.

But I cant help but wonder where this technology will eventually go. If it could eventually, of course after they're made commercially and much cheaper, become a mandatory thing. I think of myself in school, several years back. 80s- early 90s. I remember when I was sick, the ONLY positive about it, was not having to deal with school. Get to relax, watch TV, and worry about making yourself better. Of course after a few days, you would have to get caught up on all your homework, but that was worth it. I'm just imagining in the future how bad this could suck for some kids, not only are they sick and stuck in bed, but still have to listen to each of the teachers all day long.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

FAIL!

They are missing the point, if someone is sick they need time to rest! And a person goes to a classroom environment to interact, a robot can not supplement true interaction.
And how do these things communicate - internet, next thing to attend school you will have to have the internet connected at home, and soon after that there will be no point going to school because you will simply do it via the internet, which is completely possible at the moment with current technology.

This is all hype if you ask me and going in the wrong direction. Kids need more world/work experience in school presented in interesting ways so they can actually appreciate the learning environment and develope a thirst for knowledge.
edit on 3-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am not sure. It is debatable whether or not it is good for the children to learn via user interface.

My personal opinion is that you could use these in countries where people don't have access to schools.
I imagine it would be alot cheaper to go to university via interface robot,
then to have commute or move to a new location.

top topics

join