It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more compasses.. almost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
A article on newscientist that caught my eye...
www.newscientist.com...

Sunstones huh, souds interesting.

So I am sure someone has some info on the stories mentioned in the article,
about how the vikings used sunstones to navigate.

Well if we could rediscover this technology I think it would be useful.
Say if we had a magnetic disturbance in our atmosphere, causing compasses to direct falsly,
a sunstone would be quite useful.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
is there a working model you know of?

nice though...technology back then was mechanically fascinating especially when the machines incorporated the natural world

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

S&F for you! great post because it makes a lot of sense. I wondered if they knew about rubbing a needle with felt to magetize it so it'll point north? I am very intrigued by ancient mariners and their methods to navigate. I've always wanted an astalab but doubt i could ever figure out how to use it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Here's one. If you are looking for something magical then this is not it. It is however what they could have used to help navigate on cloudy or foggy days. Nights I'm not so sure about though. This particular crystal is the largest one ever found in America.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the pic.

Yes it was mostly for foggy or cloudy conditions, and theoretically could only be used in certain areas.

I will try to find more info and post.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
You can find north with a wristwatch and the sun or moon. In the case of the moon it must be clear. The sun you can still surmise with even decent cloud cover. Its gotta be a watch with hands that keeps accurate time though. Google wristwatch as a compass.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dfens

You are right about using a wrist watch to determine North but I don't think the Vikings had watches.

new topics

top topics

join