It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mind Boggling Power Of The New Madrid Fault - Just So People Can Truly Understand The Danger

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Studies have been done on the effects of a modern New Madrid quake by the University of Illinois.

While a 7.7 would be devastating, it would not be "The End".

Projections are possibly over 80,000 killed and injured, $300 billion in damages and millions homeless.

Even when the New Madrid went off back in 1812, it didn't severely damage areas not directly around the epicenter. Had it done so, Abe Lincoln would have never been president.

I personally think the death toll could be higher, but I am not a geologist or pretending to be one.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by elegant-gypsy

They have been around a while, called Scalar Weapons, The US claims we don't have any, but that Israel does. Here is a video

Electromagnetic scalar weapons that can artificially manipulate the environment could be responsible for the mass die offs. We know for a fact that over a decade ago the U.S. Military Industrial Complex was aware of and involved in the testing of such technology.

lets play mr wizard again." scalar" weapons are another internet psuedo technical term...( it sounds really technical).
whats a"scalar"? from what I know and (I could be wrong)

Start with Whats a "vector"?
a "vector" is a graphical representation of two quantities :a force and a direction.
each of those values is a "scalar". so is a scalar weapon a force without a direction? or A DIRECTION WITHOUT A FORCE?

Just ASKING???

?

edit on 4-2-2011 by 46ACE because: schpelling

edit on 4-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I live 5 miles from the Mississppi, as the crow flies. I'm not too worried of the river levels aren't a flood stage, because we may be able to survive. But if the Old Man River is at flood stage, we are screwed. At least a third of the state of Arkansas will be flooded, and if there are any survivors, we well be without helf for six months, if we're lucky. In case, you're wondering, I live just below the Missouri bootheel, and we have a lake that was made by the 1811-1812 quake.
There's no damned telling what will happen the next time, but in my estimation, the death toll will be devastating, and if you think I'm waiting for FEMA,, think again/.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

No no , im not insultin you im just saying that ats is only good for talking .
we cannot use ats as a platform to take action . its AGAINST t & c .

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
reply to post by Unit541

The New Madrid is not a natural fault and started in 2350 BC from an asteroid impact. That is why it is so unusual to be in the middle of a contient when others are on the edge. All of the quakes are shallow, deep quakes do not cause as much damage as shallow ones.

Just wondering where you are getting the idea that it is not a natural fault. This is a scar left over from a failed rift.

Active faults are not common in the interior of a plate, but faults are everywhere. Look at a geologic map of Arkansas, many faults.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Can someone summarize the OP's novel?

Wow really?

Why bother even replying to a thread you're not going to read?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I live maybe 2 miles from the Mississippi by road less if you were to do as the crow flys lol.

I am not in any sort of flood area simply because of the height above it. It would take some flood stages of unbelievable proportions to reach my home. That is not to say I would not be isolated though. It seems if a flood were to come I would not get out unless I had a boat.

If a huge quake hits though it could alter the terrain enough to change all of that.

I do not live in fear or worry though. Nothing will prevent it and if the big one does come I figure most of us are screwed regardless. I do not believe it will happen anytime soon. Though I think it might be seen within my life time, I pray I am wrong as that is about all one can do. I have said on here more than a few times we are only seeing birthpangs in the odd stuff going on. More stuff is coming.

You are right the death toll from a major release will be like nothing the U.S. has seen from a natural disaster. I am talking hundreds of thousands of deaths, just from the first quake alone. After that aftershocks, lack of food/water, and the elements will take many more hundreds. There is no preparing for what is to come it will hurt the economy worse than anything else because the central U.S. is a hub for transportation. It will shut down a great deal of transport across the U.S. for a few weeks minimum. Railways, roadways, and even river transport will either be halted or severely delayed.

A major release will affect the entire U.S. as everyone will feel the results of it in some way.

Raist

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
One of the things to keep in mind is that it has always been the standard operating procedure of the USGS to downgrade the size of the New Madrid quakes in order to prevent panic from the public.

The February 7, 1812 quake is usually said to have been around 8.0 and even many sources claim as low as 7.4. 7.7 is a typical average of the published estimates. What you have to understand is that most of that is done on purpose as to not to greatly alarm the public of the threat.

Any seismologist that has studied the New Madrid system and that previous quake knows that the actual magnitude is far higher than that. That quake was at least an 8.9 at the very minimum. They were in reality and truth more powerful than anything man has witnessed since the Richter Scale was invented, due to the amount of distance the waves traveled. That means stronger than the 1960 9.5 Chilean quake.

You have to remember that since the Richter Scale did not exist back then, the USGS and other government and "official" government-related sources like colleges can just make up whatever numbers they want. But by the Mercalli Scale, those 1811-12 quakes are the worst ones in recorded human history, and not even the biggest ones that have hit the New Madrid fault system. Also keep in mind that for example in California you generally get a jolt earthquake. Which means up and down. These are very scary and loud, something like hitting a pot hole. However, the ground movement is not as extreme as a rolling earthquake that starts to slide out of control.

If you get big quakes in New Madrid, the ground literally rolls back and forth (like shaking a tree branch), as much as 30 feet near the epicenter. The ground cannot recover and very quickly begins to liquefy. But even as far away as Indiana the ground movement was estimated to be up to 10 feet. That's like a 9.0 mega thrust earthquake effect being felt.

And as has already been pointed out these quakes are very shallow and there is no geography to stop their waves as they spread out across the eastern US. That February 1812 quake, which was really at LEAST 8.9, was many magnitudes more devastating and destructive than the recent 8.8 Chilean quake. Again, no big mountain ranges nearby to absorb the waves and the ground layer around New Madrid is basically sandy, watered down and mud in a lot of places. Remember this is the Mississippi River area. So the ground contains large amounts of water and sand. Combine that with no big mountain ranges to absorb the waves and you get catastrophic effects. And yes, the estimated magnitude of 7.7 for a possible future "big New Madrid quake" is very much downgraded.

The 1812 New Madrid quake did more damage to the geography than the 1964 Alaskan quake, which was a 9.2

And the thing to really remember is that the difference between an 8.0 or a 9.5-10 is the distance of the quake and the duration of the quake, and that then allows for the release of energy amount to increase on the Richter Scale. It seems most people don't understand that. It does not mean that the 9.5 quake is necessarily worse than say an 8.0. It just means that more energy was released, because it hit a bigger area.

If you have a particularly violent rolling quake in weak ground, which is exactly what happens at New Madrid, with no big mountain ranges around to absorb the shock....................

What you get is essentially total destruction that might as well be unlike any other quake known to man since the Richter Scale was invented. The 1812 quake "didn't severely damage areas not around the epicenter" because there was no infrastructure back then. However, rail lines that were outside of the epicenter area were greatly bent, as much as 6-12 feet in Illinois. In today's terms, that means the high on Mercalli Scale in heavily populated areas. That means destruction on land never seen in any earthquake since the Richter Scale was invented, even outside the epicenter area.

The USGS and other official sources have never told the public what the true danger is. The thing that makes it even worse is that in places like Saint Louis and Memphis there really are not buildings that are built to withstand a quake. It would be much like when you see those big quakes hit in places like Haiti, Iran, China, Turkey.

Cities like Saint Louis and Memphis would be almost annihilated and Saint Louis is well beyond the epicenter region. The death toll that FEMA gives for such an event (86,000 estimated) is ridiculously low and the real death toll would dwarf that. We are talking about Saint Louis and Memphis each alone being like Haiti was. Not to mention all the deaths from flooding from the Mississippi River, from all the blown gas lines (there are huge gas lines in the area), from the nuclear reactors in the area that might be compromised, and the starvation and dehydration deaths that would follow. Even many people freezing to death if it happened in the winter, like it did in 1811-12.

The US economy would be destroyed because the Mississippi River commerce would shut down. The estimates that these official sources like government funded studies, colleges, and the USGS put out are an extremely sugar coated white washing of the true danger. During the 1811-12 earthquakes, people that lived in Indiana described 2-3 days of darkness after the quakes because there was so much debris ejected into the atmosphere.

Just imagine Indiana today being dark for 2-3 days with no sunlight during the middle of winter. Just imagine all the power and transportation being down for months on end, etc. All the disease spreading. The death toll and destruction would be almost incomprehensible if it happened in modern times, and these government estimates are basically just fabricated out of thin air, so as to not alarm the public too much. It would be like a much worse Haiti event, only it would also negatively effect the world economy.

It is accepted that the 2-7-1812 New Madrid quake was more destructive to the geography than the 9.2 1964 Alaskan earthquake. They just don't want to let the public know the real hazards.

To give you an idea, if "The Big One" were to hit San Francisco or Los Angeles, and "The Big One" for either area is estimated to be between 7.8 to possibly 8.3 (although that big is unlikely).......... Even if an 8.1 hit, which is a common estimate of a big San Andreas quake (8.0-8.1), the effects could be felt as strong shaking over an area of about 50,000 square miles.

On the other hand, if a big New Madrid quake hits, the effects could be felt as strong shaking over an area of 1-2 million square miles, and 2 million in the case of a huge quake like the last 1812 quake. A 7.0-7.2 New Madrid quake can cause strong shaking intensity over 1 million square miles, but an 8.1 San Andreas quake can only cause it over about 50,000 square miles. Strong shaking does not refer to something minor, but rather something around 6.0 in magnitude.

In many places in the eastern US, buildings cannot withstand 6 or more shaking intensity. And we are talking about 2 million square miles of land that could feel that. And again, in the past New Madrid earthquakes of 1450 A.D and 900 A.D., the earthquakes were even bigger than the 1811-1812 New Madrid quakes were, especially the 900 A.D. event, which was much stronger.

Try to imagine up to 6.0 shaking up to 2 million square miles out from the Mississippi River region, to both the east and the north directions from the river.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Red Cloak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Can someone summarize the OP's novel?

Originally posted by twitchy
Wow really?

Why bother even replying to a thread you're not going to read?

Once I know what the OP's novel, I mean post, is about, I can then make a relevant comment.
edit on 5-2-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Look out, the threat has grown immensely in the last week! Puerto Rico is getting pounded with earthquakes (and HAARP, of course) and the tectonic plate it's on could cause a WHOPPER of a domino effect: www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Red Cloak

Although the jury is still out for me concerning the use of haarp and earthquakes,the video in the link,caused my eyebrows to raise a bit,
my mind seems to question ,is this an actual movie,when was it produced? and why was the exact date of the Japan quake given on the screen at the 5:15 mark,
But before jumping to that mark,notice beginning at the 4:38 mark you will see the new madrid being targeted in Mo. with the reason for the quake being,UFO preparedness.

p.s. I suggest letting it load first, due to the aggrivation of buffering.www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This ought to get things moving! They are HAARPing it along: www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

I would take another look....he/she is dead on. You will see....

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

I can't believe people starred your reply! *facepalm*.

Yes, quakes in the midwest feel much larger than anywhere else. They're also more destructive, because of the ground here. He explained that a bit in his post, did you not read it?? If not, research it. The ground here (and I live in Arkansas) is basically like liquid when an earthquake hits. That's why big earthquakes here (1811-1812) were felt in Canada and Alaska. The 4.7 we had was felt in many states, too. I was on the opposite side of the state and it shook my bed.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
just checked activity on the New Madrid fault for the las week. Intrestingly enough, there have been numerous quakes about 40 miles north of Little Rock. I wounder what's up with that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join