It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experimental Photocatalyst-Possible pollution free Hydrogen producer for fuel cell technology???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
LINK HERE

(Nanowerk News) A little disorder goes a long way, especially when it comes to harnessing the sun's energy. Scientists from the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) jumbled the atomic structure of the surface layer of titanium dioxide nanocrystals, creating a catalyst that is both long lasting and more efficient than all other materials in using the sun's energy to extract hydrogen from water.

Let us just have this one hope. Please o'please, just let this one be the one. With all that is happening in the MidEast and the soon to be rising gas prices, please let this be the breakthrough that gets major automotive companies to say goodbye to Big Oil....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It is the inclination to gather strongly at boundaries which is being modified here I think. Then, when the attempt is made to correct this, free energy is the result. That would be nice. Even nicer if hydrogen were the result because hydrogen has always been impractical to manufacture.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

Even nicer if hydrogen were the result because hydrogen has always been impractical to manufacture.

Read on my friend, it seems to be very nice indeed...

"They found that 24 percent of the sunlight absorbed by the photocatalyst was converted into hydrogen, a production rate that is about 100 times greater than the yields of most semiconductor photocatalysts."

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Good find. Titanium dioxide seems to be a rather interesting material.

a popular photocatalyst and is used in the manufacture of white pigments

Approximately 4 million tons of pigmentary TiO2 are consumed annually worldwide

It's the perfect white in your toothpaste.

The nanocrystals can be used for.

air purification, self-sterilization, water purification and molecular hydrogen production

Links:
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Where can I buy some black titanium dioxide nanopowder?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by moebius

Right next to the nano nickel used to power your Italian fission reactor; I believe it is isle 8 in Wally world and isle 12 in Lowe Depot.

Cross my fingers it makes it to market soon and not just a lab like everything else……

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolhanddan
reply to post by moebius

Cross my fingers it makes it to market soon and not just a lab like everything else……

I'd like to quote my favourite writer here:

"The future is already here – it's just not evenly distributed." —William Gibson

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolhanddan
reply to post by moebius

Right next to the nano nickel used to power your Italian fission reactor; I believe it is isle 8 in Wally world and isle 12 in Lowe Depot.

Thanks for this thread OP, it's the first i'd heard of it, very interesting stuff.

When they bring this cold fusion to market, i really, really, really hope they call the brand Mr. Fusion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
Thanks for this thread OP, it's the first i'd heard of it, very interesting stuff.

Ya, I kinda just stumbled onto it while trying to find/see if any news about the super black carbon nano-tubes had surfaced. I have been waiting to see what the testing with UV and IR spectrums produced.

Luckily though, I came across this article and have to admit I was very interested because of what was stated. Showing signs of possible longterm use is a big deal, it is what previously has been a major problem with the exsistent catalyst used in hydrogen fuel cells.

new topics

top topics

join