It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives to quash CRTC decision killing unlimited Internet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's important that we don't grow apathetic to this cause in light of the positive developments.
This isn't over. As per Tony Clement's tweet; “CRTC must go back to drawing board”, It's really just a matter of time before they cook up some other plan to monetize the internet.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Your link doesn't work or they took out the article...one or the other??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheerfulnihilist
it seems a bit convenient for the tories to latch onto this issue. I bet they knew of CRTCs decision but sat on it so they can come on the media to be our `white knight` for internet freedom in time for a spring election.

Actually everyone knew this request from the providers was before the CRTC and the my local conservative MP was talking about it months ago how they felt it was bad for Canadians and that the CRTC should not even be looking at this proposal. So yes they knew about it they just hoped (because expecting would have been crazy) that the CRTC would do the right thing for once in it's life. The CRTC is full of career beuarocrats and life appointies from back in the Jean Cretian days. I still regret that the CRTC changed the rules on telephone and forced the provinces to privatize the phone companies. Now with no extras (ie no long distance charges, no call display or voice mail) my land line is $84 per month, there is the $24 administrative charge, 911 service fees, line loading fees etc. Less than half of my bill is the actual "phone" cost to have the line.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
you can't upset a monopoly. canadians already pay the highest internet and cell phone fee's in the industrialized world, not to mention 90% of third world countries.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Damn good thing these despots at the CRTC got their dirty fingers nailed... this policy got me worried.

Moreover bandwidth control is crookery, since this is just free flow of data signals... the only reason why they would control it is to cash-in from it, and that's what they attempted to do with Bell Canada.

edit on 3/2/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Has it happened yet?

The ban wasn't "quashed" - just threatened to be quashed...

...The prime minister and the minister of industry will reverse this decision unless the CRTC does it itself...

The article's actual title:

"Conservatives to quash CRTC decision killing unlimited Internet"

to add title

edit on 3/2/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

The more I hear about it the more it sounds like it a ruse to get Harper and his Cons groupies reelected. I hope it's more than just a "Political Idol" thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
Saw this coming.

There was an auto emails on FB being shared around. You enter your name and email and it auto emails 4 of our party leaders and the ombudsman of Canada.

Of course that's not the prime reason... Leave us Canadians to our devices and we'll live our days long and affective

edit on 2-2-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

Excellent! The spirit of Canada prevails!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnulnu
Canadians have openmedia, Strombo, and the NDP to thank for this reversal. Harper did sweet f.a. to prevent the measure in the first place, but now he's swanning around like our great liberator. It's time for this fascist douchebag to go. Bring on the non-con!

Star for you! Thanks for posting that Harper is a fascist douchebag, you made my day with this post.

It would be wise for Canadians to remember when the election inevitably comes, if Usage Based Billing is something you are concerned or opposed to... If Harper and friends allowed the CRTC to pursue this route in the first place then they will likely allow them to do it again. This seems very much to me like a publicity stunt and I expect to hear Harper preach about how he his party overturned this in order to win votes. Let's try not to be fooled and remember, one good deed doesn't cancel out the other BS moves that the Conservatives have done over the recent years... I hope I do not need to elaborate for anyone.

edit on 3/2/2011 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Maybe there is still hope for my hosting business...

It is about time Harper did something.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is why I love canadiens.By the way thanks for hockey.Keep Canada free.

edit on 2/3/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

We're also very funny. See how you laugh and we don't even have to do or say anything at all. Prior humor, is prior freedom.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

In the maritimes, you have an great service offered from Bell/Aliant.. Fibre to the home.. I myself have 25 down 5 up at the moment.. That cap would have thrown a wrench in that operation. My package with them includes phone, digital tv that goes through the internet and the internet for 120 bucks. I dont know how they would have segragated the bandwith the tv uses..

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
In Alberta our internet is expensive unless you live in a major center.

I don't trust the NDP they keep talking about spreading the wealth, the last thing we need is to subsidize Quebec anymore.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Compuserve? My first web service was Prodigy.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pa.Frost

Everyone called me crazy back then too('95). Look at the world now? Heh. I wish I was crazy... :|

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Are you serious? I thought Canada was in better health that USA.

I guess when the news said USA, China, and Japan were the top three economies they were no joking...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Great! Four more years of Harper, stupid voters caught hook line and sinker

But yeah, I am glad to hear this may not happen.

Rogers' CEO only made 13 million last year, I guess that's not enough, rough times, poor fella.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If they can implement a system that promotes true competition in the cellphone and internet services like the rest of the G20's, that would signify more jods for canadians due to the increase in providers. Hense more taxes for TPTB thus more cash for infrastructure which inturn creates more jobs...ok I might be pushing it a bit but you know what I'm getting at. How could they not allow competition is beyond me.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
My congratulations to the Canadian consumers who fought for cheap unlimited internet option!

Now I must warn you, if unlimited internet fails at any point, count on data compression tech to get very greatly advanced. After compression tech advances so greatly, ISP's will no longer be getting prime rates with such few data transmission. They will then charge on uncompressed size of files. Sort of like lessening your bank account to pay less taxes, the income tax people don't like that, and parallel to that compressing data would be data charge fraud!

Just something to think about while on the topic . Cheers to cheap unlimited internet!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join