It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives to quash CRTC decision killing unlimited Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Conservatives to quash CRTC decision killing unlimited Internet

www.montrealgazette.co m

OTTAWA — The Harper government will overrule a recent decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission that effectively kills unlimited Internet-pricing packages — unless the telecommunications regulator backs down first, Postmedia News has learned.

"The CRTC should be under no illusion. The prime minister and the minister of industry will reverse this decision unless the CRTC does it itself," a senior government source, speaking only on condition of anonymity, said Wednesday evening.

Read more: www.canada.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Thu Feb 3 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: BAN title must match source article

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Saw this coming.

There was an auto emails on FB being shared around. You enter your name and email and it auto emails 4 of our party leaders and the ombudsman of Canada.

Of course that's not the prime reason... Leave us Canadians to our devices and we'll live our days long and affective

edit on 2-2-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Great to see. Now if we could just organize like this over what these corporations have done to our mobility networks.

Good to see Canada will not just bend over.

Pred...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
And people think Canadians are a bunch of sleepers. Look at what we accomplished in a few short days on the exact medium they were trying to take from us.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

The Harper government will overrule a recent decision by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission that effectively kills unlimited Internet-pricing packages — unless the telecommunications regulator backs down first, Postmedia News has learned.

Phew what good news i hope.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It makes sense though, there is an election coming and the Harper gov't wants to appear that it's "for the people". This was clearly an example of this gov'ts lack of oversight. It would have had huge impacts on small businesses and damaged our economy. We're already getting screwed for internet prices in this country compared to most G20 countries.

Not to mention the taxpayers funded a good portion of broadband infrastructure improvements for these giant telecom companies. They're just getting greedy(even more so).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Its about time we gotta win tick one for freedom!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
In wake of the events which have unfolded in the recent years here in the United States it is beginning to appear that if I truly want to live in the land of liberty I must travel to the great white north.

Oh well, I have always wanted to live in a cold climate. Maybe I should start learning my new national anthem.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!

Well I guess I should look on the bright side... that's a beautiful song...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
As a Canadian this is great to see, we may not storm parliament hill(too cold for that), but we will send tersely worded emails lol. Nice to see the gov't standing up for the people even though it's an election year. The way the climate is changing we may end up with a warmer climate than everyone who has made fun of how cold it is up here. The keystroke is mightier than the sword(as long as the internet is up and running that is lol). Long live unlimited internet access.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

We won brother. But the next battle is tiered internet. Usage based billing would screw people who use less than their 'allowance' while penalizing those who use the majority of b/w. This is a stop gap way for the ISP to provide streaming services such as netflix and online gaming while not upgrading their decaying and overloaded networks. It's great we shot it down but the other threat remains.

tiered internet would play out exactly like the image you've posted in a thread.

Big companies would have preferential treatment when it comes to bandwidth. Other sites, like this one, would be tossed into the slow lane fighting for scrap bandwidth. This is their new vision of the internet, a tiered system much like cable tv. Eventually, if net neutrality is ignored, you will have ISPs offering packages that include big name sites and that's it.

We'd be going back to the days of AOL and Compuserv. I, for one, remember those days and would rather die than go back.

This change of tune signals we indeed are being heard, enough of us are making a stink that the right people are starting to pay attention.

Sadly, this is a ploy by Harper as he's gearing up for an election and this 1 decision, even if he doesn't make the final call, will play BIG for Harper with the young and uninformed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
it seems a bit convenient for the tories to latch onto this issue. I bet they knew of CRTCs decision but sat on it so they can come on the media to be our `white knight` for internet freedom in time for a spring election.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

The only reason we bend over is to pick up our PM's hat after we've thrown a lemon pie at him.
For those of you who arent canadian, i'm thinking Chretien

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Not much of a " win " with an election right around the corner. Mark my words, soon as the election is over, your internet use will once again be suppressed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

But dont you see the internet cap was the first step in the tiered internet scheme? By implementing the cap the giant companies would have effectivly quashed any smaller isp, killing competition, eliminating the unlimited packages and ensuring that people have to buy into the tiered system.

Now, if you don't like the tiered system, the competition is alive and well, and will surely rise to the occasion and supply us with alternative options.

I've said it before and I will say it again. SCREW YOU BELL!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Steven Harper NEVER has Canadians in his mind when he makes a decision. As other members have said, it is clearly for votes.

Not ONCE have I seen Harper do a good deed that did not have an alternate motive. This news is only good for people who are on an old unlimited internet plan in a good price range. Unlimited high speed internet for a new customer (if offered) is very expensive. I pay about 55 dollars before taxes for 60 GB, sorry I cannot remember the speed but it is pretty fast. I would hate to pay the unlimited price

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Canadians have openmedia, Strombo, and the NDP to thank for this reversal. Harper did sweet f.a. to prevent the measure in the first place, but now he's swanning around like our great liberator. It's time for this fascist douchebag to go. Bring on the non-con!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
YAY!!!

I was pretty sure this would never be allowed to happen, but for a second there, I thought that this might become the defining moment demonstrating corporate ability to completely control and limit freedom.... but us canucks would never let it happen!

I mean, I go to the University of Alberta, were 40 000+ students are using the wi-fi every day. How on earth would they be able to pay for the HUGE bandwith? With hiked student fees of course. With tuition already at their legal limit, and a $500+ student fee for "library and faculty services", God only knows how much we would be paying for internet next term.

I've signed on to the insta-message spoken in the OP, as well as signed a couple other petitions.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Go Canada!!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Excellent news!
I was worried this was gonna spread.. a standing ovation for all you Canadians who fought this!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I sure am glad that everyone here posting for and those warning that its just one step in the internet b/w scheme did write to the PM and the rest of the decision makers on that auto-email protest shown to us by Strombo and open media.

I have a feeling you are correct when you state that this won't be the end of it and that being the case, we must be vigilant and keep on top of spreading the news to our friends and friends of friends. Mostly, the reason we don't have a revolution in Canada is because we don't need one. We can make changes in this society, yet, it seems to take massive movements. I feel that 1 email to the government in protest, is worth 10,000 people, this I feel is because we aren't known to complain,.. we take what they give us or at least this has been my experience so far. We grumbled to our friends and its left like that.

I am, like most people, in a position to educate others- kind of a monkey see, monkey do, but I believe that we can have what we want from the government provided we know what going on and keep engaged. Well done!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join