It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge To Atheists, Deists, Agnostics, and children of all ages.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Greetings my friends,

Here is a challenge I propose to the deep thinking, ever denying of ignorance, lover's of hot debates crowd of ATS. I would like to take a moment to get to know everyone. I don't mean to get to know you like the brief stories that float through the intro section. I want to get to know who YOU are on a much deeper level. There is so much hate and animosity floating around certain sections. All I keep hearing everyone say is that the other side of what ever debate they are in is wrong. Neither side knows or really cares what the other side actually believes or why, but they carry a different label so they are wrong, no questions asked.

Each and every one of us are care takers of our own mind. We all are endowed with the ability to take in this existence with our senses and form the idea of what it all means. Our minds are as unique to us as our finger prints. Is it any wonder why their are so many views on religion, politics, science, everything! There is no consensus in this world. No consensus save one.

None of us will let another tell us what to think.

Think about that. That is a pretty powerful statement. Not a single person will allow another to tell them how to think. They may allow you to whip them into submission and tell them how to act. They may allow you to present information that if they find true, they will accept. But no one will allow anyone into their mind and force them to think a certain way.

So, why do we try? What is so hard with allowing others to think for themselves? Is it necessary to demand that others think the way that you do when you would not let another make you think differently? Who are you really trying to save?

For this thread, I would like to try to just get to know everyone. Everyone and anyone that cares to share. All I ask is that if you participate, participate simply by sharing. No one here in this thread is sharing to be judged. Anyone who shares can share freely without ridicule, scorn, or condemnation. I want to know about you, not some Prophet from the past. I want to know about you, not some philosopher or scientist. Please answer the following in your own words. Rejoice in the diversity of the human experience!

Who are you? Not your name, not your place of birth, not your job, but who are YOU at your very core?

Why are you here? What do you think the purpose of your life is?

That's all two simple questions which have no wrong answers. Be as lengthy or as brief as you like. Just imagine we are two old friends reuniting.

I'll post this, then try to answer the questions myself.

Please be kind to each other and lets just get to know what lies behind our masks.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Who am I well that is an interesting question because I honestly am not always sure who I am.

I would like to think of myself as an open minded searcher of truth. I would like to think of myself as a researcher in the purest sense. As I am open to learn about anything and everything whether I agree or disagree. I also would like to think of myself as a intelligent debater. Now obviously I am prone to lose my way at times and just straight out deny something or argue against something even if I am not 100% educated on the matter at hand, but I think this is normal of all human beings. It's in our nature to be stubborn at times and react rather then think out our actions.

The meaning of life? Well I am not sure what the meaning of life is but I would like to think that the meaning of life is to figure out what the true meaning of life is. I also believe that the meaning of life is to learn as much as you can about the world around you because knowledge is power.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hello friend

I am a radiant state of Love, by free will choice.

That is also my life's purpose!

Nothing too special, but it means a lot to this one

I like the idea for this thread, thanks for posting it. I too have seen the outright hate and anger. Sad really, but that is ones own free will.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

I am the caretaker of a small fluffy white dog.

That isn't meant to be flippant. I have made all of the money that I need to, have raised a child to adulthood, met and lost my soulmate, travelled the world, and done pretty much everything that I would have put out on a "bucket list" when I was young. The only real responsibility I have is to the little dog that my beloved wife brought to me and left in my care.

I know that God still has things for me to do, and what they are and what they mean, I do not know, but I wait to find out.

Meanwhile, I take the fluffy white dog for walks, and ensure that he, at least, is happy.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Hello, my friend.

I am Dasein, on my path to complete the various "Projects", which are Me.

May the light always ease your journey.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I think I prefer the company of a good or bad dog to that of good or bad people.... God is simply something I don't believe exist. The idea of a belief system where you can just will yourself to accept something that you can neither see or hear of except in books assembled and presented by people desiring to control others just isn't enough to sell me on the idea.... I live in the Bible Belt and believe me it would be a lot easier for me if I was to lie and say I am something I'm not and in addition to that become a Mason but I would rather live in the woods and enjoy life with my insane dog that may or may not train out to be more civilized than my church going neighbors.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is a very intriguing post.

In answer to your questions:

Who am I? I am me. I come from an abusive household and I am stronger for it. I am resilient towards people who try to push me down and I have developed an innate ability to eliminate things and people from my life that I deem to be stressful or damaging to me. During my high school years I was embarrassed about the home I lived in and I didn't talk much to anybody about anything, lest they found out. I am still quite a shy person because of this, although I am not so ashamed of where I come from anymore. I moved out of home at the age of 15 into a house that was debatably more damaging than living with my parents. Nevertheless, I remained strong and pushed on until I made my escape.

I have always been pushed to do well at school - and I did. I was in the top 5% of my state by the time I graduated. I process things better when I see them in pictures and I cannot accept things in my mind unless I have a base understanding of why they are how they are. As a result, I chose to do a science degree in university and ended it with a major in chemistry. I do not think I am 'here' for any higher purpose. I think I am here because I was born and I will leave the world because I am dead. No more, no less.

I am an atheist by nurture, but I do not believe in pushing my opinions about religion or God onto others unless it is asked for. I expect the same courtesy from people who have faith in God(s). I thusly do not believe I have a purpose in life, and I am fine with that. I study chemistry because I enjoy it and because I love the satisfaction I gain by developing a deeper understanding of various processes. I have based my choice for my life's career on selfish foundations, certainly, but I think it is the right thing for me to do. Better this than picking a career I don't enjoy, even if the repercussions were to have a greater impact on global wellness. That's not to say I don't contribute to the world, however. By virtue of my research I contribute greatly to the fields of medicine as well as to organic chemistry. I am also a regular contributor to various charities and I always try to offer a helping hand to people who need it, where and when I can.

So that is me, in a small and well contained nutshell. It is interesting to read the replies of others here.
edit on 2-2-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Who am I?

I do not know. I thought I did. I built many realities around me in my life that made me secure in who I was. I was a Marine, a Freemason, a drug dealer, a thief, a palero, a wiccan. I tried the shoes on of a husband, a father, been a Brother and an uncle. Like fancy outfits, I tried on many persona's all in an attempt to find the clothes that fit me best. None of them satisfied me though. When they wore out their newness, I always went searching for something else to try on. This usually resulted in an entire lifestyle change. New friends, new relationships, new jobs, new adventures, all searching for the right fit, the clothes that best represented who I am. It was July of last year that I had what some would call a religious experience, others a psychotic break, but regardless what you call it it was a life changing moment. I decided I did not want to wear clothes any more. So, I gave everything I owned in life away and left town to find myself again.

What I found was that I liked being naked. Completely void of a persona, I had not a care in the world. There was no one to measure up to. There was no one to fit in with. There was no facade. I am who I am. This was unnerving at first because I had no defences. I had no armor on to protect me from the world around me. I was vulnerable. I discovered something though. Without my facade, without the many various personas I had created through life, I became something unexpected. I wasn't vulnerable at all. My heart was completely exposed to the world around me and I fell in love with it !

I fell in love with every person I met and they saw something about me that allowed them to let their guard down. Being completely exposed, they did not see me as a threat. They let me into their hearts and I found more people to love than I ever imagined. I realised then just how afraid we have become of each other, with our various clothes we put on. I don't judge anyone for what they wear, I am the one running around naked afterall. But how blessed I am to have discovered that joy of being nude.

I still do not know who I am. I could not describe it any other way than simply, I AM.

Why am I here?

I do not know that either. All I know is that I love everything about being here and I wish everyone could love it as much as I do. I do not even have a here to call my own. All of this is my wonderland. I am sharing it with all.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I am an individual expression of light in an intelligent universe. I am another you. I am the part of the Universe that is observing itself and learning.

My life's purpose is to obtain wisdom and realize oneness. I am here to achieve and maintain a state of constant ecstatic joy. I am here to help others align themselves with their true purpose. My current goal is to observe higher dimensions through the process of implementing a perception of oneness whereby I realize I am intelligent energy creating intelligent energy as co-creator of the Universe. My purpose in life is to consciously try to refine my being into a more pure manifestation of God that we are.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Who are you? Not your name, not your place of birth, not your job, but who are YOU at your very core?

I am a Soul like You that also chose to have the various Experiences this world offers. As a Soul I am a portion of the Aware Universe.. one small diversified portion of the Whole, just like You.

I am here to help humanity move beyond the Limitations of Belief-Systems so that it may create a more effective future for itself. In doing so I am fulfilling the primary role as a means by which the Aware Universe comes to Know Itself and its Abilities.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
Meanwhile, I take the fluffy white dog for walks, and ensure that he, at least, is happy.

...and fluffy.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think this is a great question because it challenges to reflect and if we do it right we may learn more about ourselves than ever.

Who am I?

I am all a compilation of the sum of my experiences and thoughts plus a force best defined as the spirit (free will) to create who I am at this present moment. I understand the difference between perspective (opinions) and universal truths (undeniable) and this is what makes me an open minded, accepting and understanding individual.
One of my goals is to shed my past burdens and become completely present.

I have been bullied for being different and fell into a cycle of becoming what I hated (the bully) and being bullied again. I have lacked the ability to make new friends because its difficult for me to trust someone unless we can really open up to each other. Apart from a few friends here and there I have become sort of an outcast and fallen into lengthy cycles of depression. In the time I have spent alone I have worked on learning a lot of different things although sometimes spending periods of time gaming. Currently I am searching for a co-op job for my University program (accounting).

Why am I here?

I am here (both specifically on ATS and IRL) to learn. I absolutely love learning, whether it is sports, philosophy, studying at school or any number of things, I love to learn. I only realized this recently so I am focusing harder than ever to pursue my passion for learning and eventually apply it as my gift to the world.

What do I think the purpose of my life is?

I would like to believe that my purpose in life is make a positive contribution to this planet, its inhabitants and specific people around me. Although I am on a path of scholarly learning and can't really say what exactly I hope to do, I hope that with the wisdom I achieve I can achieve great things, not for personal satisfaction but for betterment of others.

~~~~~~~
"None of us will let another tell us what to think."

I would rephrase this sentence because I myself feel as an exception to the rule, thus disproving it. ALMOST none of us will let another tell us what to think. This unfortunately is a big flaw in humanity, accepting what yourself knows as the truth when it is just perspective.

edit on 2-2-2011 by ThisIsMyName because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

When I first read the above quote, taken from Chuck Palahniuk's book, Fight Club. I thought how dare he suggest that we as humans are not special. How can we not be considered special?

That was back in 1996, iirc. Since that time I have been on a journey of sorts to find myself. To find out why I am the way I am and to also find out how I can be the person I want to be. This journey has required me to change my thinking on many things. I think in the past I believed that I had it all sussed out. It wasn't until I began to travel that I began to wake up. For most of my life I had never left my country of birth. I was very fortunate to be born in a country with a very high standard of living. I never really went without as a child and my parents always did their best to give me what I needed and not what I wanted. I was raised on Christian beliefs and surrounded by active believers. By the time I was 14 I was asking questions that those I was surrounded by could not answer. I asked the head of my church a question at one point ( with so many religions in our world, who is right?), he told me not to worry that our faith was right. Well that was it for me. I may have only been 14 but I knew bullsh it when I heard it. I left the church.

Over the next decade or so I went out of my way to speak to Rabbis, Priests, Imam's, Monks the whole lot. None of them could give me what I was looking for. I read a number of holy books but still found nothing of substance in any of them. To be honest they all seem similar to one another.

So back to Palahniuk's quote. The more I thought about it the more it began to make sense to me. I am not special and all I ever got from religion was a divide. Us and them. Catholic Vs. Protestant, Jew Vs. Muslim. Each one of "them" believing that they are right. That they are special.

I began to read some books on Gandhi. Through his writings I slowly began to see that I was never going to find what I was looking for through religion. You see I came to understand that I, just as Gandhi, was not seeking redemption from the consequences of my sin. I was seeking to be redeemed from sin itself. And so, this became my personal religion if you will... To live sin free. To be the best person I can be.

You see, I am no more special than you... Not in any way shape or form. When it comes down to it we are all the same. Humans, animals. plants... we live and we die and return to the soil. We are energy that recycles itself when we die. So while we are alive use that energy to the fullest. Treat others well, do kind things but do not be limited to certain thoughts or beliefs. Just be the best person you can be.

I don't consider myself to be anything other than human. I have no faith in anything except myself. I don't pretend to have it all figured out, I am just trying to understand it all the best I can.

Is it true what I heard about the Son of God?
Did he come to save? Did he come at all?
And if I dried his feet with my dirty hair,
would he make me clean again?

They say they don't know when, but a day is gonna come,
when there won't be a moon and there won't be a sun.
It will just go black, it will just go back
to the way it was before.

I knew a lovely girl with such pretty pride,
and every man wanted her, yeah and so did I.
Yeah, and so did I. But she up and died
in a fit of vanity.

Now men with purple hearts carry silver guns.
And they'll kill a man for what his father's done.
But what my father did, you know it don't mean #.
I'm not him.

And you think I need some discipline, well, I had my share.
I've been sent to my room. I've been sat in a chair.
And I held my tongue. I didn't plug my ears.
No, I got a good talking to.

Now I don't know why, but I still try to smile
when they talk at me like I'm just a child.
Well, I'm not a child. No, I am
much younger than that.

And now I've read some books and I've grown quite brave.
If I could just speak up, I think I would say
that there is no truth. There is only you
and what you make the truth.

So I'll just sing my songs, and I'll pass a hat.
Then I'll leave your town and I'll never look back.
No, I don't look back because the road is clear
and laid out ahead of me.

Now I'll get home, I'll meet my friends at our favourite bar.
We'll get some lighter heads for our heavy hearts.
And we'll share a drink. Yeah we'll share our fears
and they will know how I love them.
They will know how I love.
They will know how I love them.
I'm nothing without their love.

Now I don't know when, but a day is gonna come
when there won't be a moon and there won't be a sun.
It will all go black. It will all go back
to the way it's supposed to be.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Just imagine we are two old friends reuniting.

I am me. Anything beyond this can only be truly known by me. Many can know (or think they do) parts of me well, the closest would be my wife. But no one can truly know all of me, not even me for I can, and do, change.

I am here because my parents chose to have a child. This decision resulted in me.

Life, beyond the biological imperative to reproduce, has no set purpose. There is no great plan.

Let's not and say we did. (Not personal. I just find the whole "brotherly love" spiel..... creepy)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm a part time loner with a cat, he's my best friend.
I'm also a son, friend and brother until the very end.

When it's winter I hibernate.
I mostly read and contemplate.

When it's summer, I live my life.
Free from worries, stress and strife.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
...who am i?... depends on who you ask... are all the labels assigned to me by other people accurate?... no, of course not... only the nice ones are accurate...

...who i am (to me) is best described by ray wylie hubbard in his song ballad of the crimson kings - specifically the following lines...

...there are some who can rise above blind faith... others just cant seem to pray.... then there are those who are condemned by the gods to write... they sparkle and they fade away...

...why am i here?... cuz the rhythm method of birth control doesnt work...

...whats my purpose in life?... to sparkle and fade away...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I am a part of the living God…

I am here to learn and strive to become a wise man.

Hopefully something similar to the following…

The Wise Man
When you meet that person, the wisdom that is in you, will recognize them and they will resonate with you. They will reach deep inside, to the very core of your being. They do not attempt to force you to accept, what they say. They are gentle, and silently connect with your mind and your spirit. They teach while at the same time making no demands of you. Their teaching is so subtle, that at times, you may not even be aware of it.

- JC

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Zen Parable:

One day Chuang Tzu and a friend were walking by a river. "Look at the fish swimming about," said Chuang Tzu, "They are really enjoying themselves."

"You are not a fish," replied the friend, "So you can't truly know that they are enjoying themselves."

"You are not me," said Chuang Tzu. "So how do you know that I do not know that the fish are enjoying themselves?"

and another:

The emperor, who was a devout Buddhist, invited a great Zen master to the Palace in order to ask him questions about Buddhism. "What is the highest truth of the holy Buddhist doctrine?" the emperor inquired.

"Vast emptiness... and not a trace of holiness," the master replied.

"If there is no holiness," the emperor said, "then who or what are you?"

"I do not know," the master replied.

Source
edit on 3-2-2011 by JayTee because: added another parable

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Who am I at my very core?

At my very core. I am the one who controls this person. I am the one who makes all the choices for this person which I represent in this life.

With this life i have been given the gift and the privilege to represent this physical image, and this physical shape. This person. My purpose in life is to make this person shine. Because i want this person to reflect who I am.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
who am i?

Im a woman who has fullfilled her destiny yet remains stuck on this god forsaken planet....

Im a woman to whom for the past 25 years has believe in a higher power yet upon her mothers recent death , has seriously begun to question those said beliefs ....

the so called holy ghosts in my religon has failed to protect and keep alive the one person who lit mean the world to me

i do still believe in the fact that they are 12 different dimenchions starting with the one we can see and feel every day ...

im a woman who has lost everything time and again . and it seems to be a never ending cycle

when none of what hell has happened to me has been my fault ....

so i ask if there was a god then why is they world as we know it so damn screwed up and why am i one of the most unluckest people on the planet?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join