It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hiccups!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
i hate having hiccups, i'm sure theres a millions and one stoopid methods to cure them. I like to swallow as many times as i can whilst holding my breath, but it doesnt work too well.
So what are your cure's for the hiccups?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

only one that I know of actually worked for me, before I learned to control them myself.

Get a book of matches and a tall glass of water. Light 2 matches at the same time and dip them while still lit in the glass of water. QUICKLY drink the full glass of water! Done. They should be gone

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I actually don't seem to get them that much. I can't remember the last time actually. but my method is very similar to yours.

First I will say that i remember as a kid, my mom would have me drink lots of water and hold my ears while i was drinking it. I honestly don't know if there's any logic behind the ear covering or not.

Throughout the years I have evolved from that theory, and concluded that it's not the water itself that helps but the swallowing action. So I will take a deep breath, and hold it in, then drink water in a way that I'm drinking the least amount of water possible to just be able to swallow. So I will swallow many many time while holding my breath. Then I let absolutely as much air out of my lungs as I possibly can. Attempt to empty my lungs. Then breath in as much air as i possibly can, and repeat the swallowing. For me anyways, they usually go away on the 1st breath, then the 2nd just seems to help prevent them from coming right back. Sometimes I will do a round 3 if I feel it is necessary. That method works good for me anyways.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I usually drink a big mouthful of water in one gulp. Works most of the time

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

It's all in your mind Neo. The hiccups will stop when you believe they will.

I'm serious though!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I absolutely guarantee a spoonful of honey or straight cordial will smash hiccups into the middle of next week!
anything outrageously high in sugar - and you can quote me on that!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Try drinking a glass of water while someone cups your ears. I'm not sure why but this always works for me. You want to drink for a good 10 seconds.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
drink pickle juice or vinagar, in a kneeling position breath rapidly for about a minute and than stick your thumb in your mouth and blow tell you start seeing stars hehehehehehe.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
thank for replys, as i expected they where pretty goofy. my hiccups are gone now, but obscure remedys are allways welcome...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Well there is always the old bushman's trick. You drink a glass of water while upside down. No joke.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ok, just say HIMMA! The 'hi' like the the 'hi' in hiccups. If it does not work the 1st time just repeat in lower tones.
For some reazon it works!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Tip your head forwards while drinking from the opposite side of a glass than you normally would, works every time.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I slowly rub my temples while sipping slowly from a straw. Always works for me.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I actually have "THE" cure for hiccups!!

Its never not worked for me or anyone who i showed it to...this is why i call it a cure, because it hasn't failed yet..

Get a full glass of water...

Stand up and lean over the glass and drink it from the opposite side you'd usually drink it from...

When the water is gone, so are you hiccups...

Hope this helps

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hold your breath and tap the diaphragm that's what I always do and 9/10 times it will solve it at least get the air out without having a hiccup, just keep doing that and they will go away.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I usually go for a crap all the straining makes me forget about them lol

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
nine gulps of ice cold water in a row /the large amount of cold water stuns the dieafram (stomac muscle)
works 100% of the time
your welcome lol

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
The only thing that works for me is to take a deep breath, hold it long as I can, repeat until hicups are gone. It might take ten times, usually less.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
The only thing that works for me is to take a deep breath, hold it long as I can, repeat until hicups are gone. It might take ten times, usually less.

deep breath doesn't help for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Squeeze your eyebrows together. Seriously. I don't know why, but it works!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join