It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

Ask and ye shall receive: en.wikipedia.org...

A geosynchronous orbital tether could be sent up to an orbit corresponding to a ground point underneath the anamoly. Of course the concept is theoretical and would require a massive engineering effort, but at the end of the day it sounds like it would result in something akin to a lightning rod with a constant, massive charge coming down the line.

Problem is, how do you distribute that kind of energy effectively? I am not sure any of the "space powers" have anything to gain from giving Brazil free energy.

EDIT: Reviewing this post made me wonder; is this energy available at all levels of the Van Allen belts, or just at the anamoly? What is the relation between the altitude of geosynchronous orbit and the Van Allen belt?

edit on 4-2-2011 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I see where you are headed with your reference to increased ufo reports over geomagnetic anamolies, and while I share your desire to keep things on topic, I cannot resist but to share the following relevant link with another science-minded observer: webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk...://www.mod.uk/defenceinternet/freedomofinformation/publicationscheme/searchpublicationscheme/unidentif iedaerialphenomenauapintheukairdefenceregion.htm

It basically correlates perceived UFO activity with atmospheric energy phenomenon. It was a study done by the British Ministry of Defense. Hope you like it....but it sounds like you may already be aware of it.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

the link provided doesn't work
2nd
f

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Sorry but what a boring thread...

Post all the information in the OP or don't bother at all..

I'm more than over waiting for little crumbs of information..

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Sorry, but ATS automatically reformats part of the address....when I go to edit I see the correct address but when.it posts it is reformatted...MODS can you fix this?

In the meantime, try this google search link and go to the first result: www.google.com...
edit on 5-2-2011 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm trying to make sense of what such an anomaly could be used for. Perhaps a space station power source with artificial gravity, like Space station V in, "2001 a space Odessy" Ah well, I'm trying.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread yet; I haven't had chance but am looking forward to it

As far as the anomaly goes, here is a theory which I just came up with:
Could the position of the anomaly and the fact it doesn't move much be perhaps the ancient location of where the moon was formed by a massive collision with the earth? Perhaps the remnants of the impactor lie very deep within the earth at this point?

With such an impact, the massive amounts of energy released could have permanently (or for a very long term), changed the electro-magnetic makeup of this area?

Just some thoughts I had after reading what the south pacific anomally is!

Cheers! Great thread - interesting to hear from someone involved in the space program.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Edit: Sorry - double post, not sure why.
edit on 5-2-2011 by SecretSky because: double post.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I did some more research and can see that a geostationary, geosynchronous orbital tether is only feasible along the equator. However, this kind of orbit has an altitude above both the inner and outer Van Allen belts.

Assuming this kind of tethered satellite technology was possible, what would be the factors involved in harnessing the energy in the Van Allen belts?

Feedline losses? Ionospheric disruption? Solar disruption?
edit on 6-2-2011 by NightShift because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
LOL! Looks like I was late to the party on the tether idea, and 180 degrees off the mark to boot: en.wikipedia.org...

They've actually already proposed the idea to DISSIPATE the Van Allen belts!

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

the first result in google does not work for me. seems to have an unsupported format.
the last link you posted regarding modification of the van allen belt on space.com is a 404 site not found.
regards f
edit regarding the link within the site for messing with the belt.
edit on 6-2-2011 by fakedirt because: so as not to cause confusion

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
the link on wikipedia regarding tethers is a must for all to read.
in the interests of convenience it seems they are proposing to risk all life down here on terra firma by reducing the potency of the belt itself! i can't see an impact study or risk assessment on this scheme only the convenience factor.

potentially if there is one slight possibility that the particle interaction with the belt is essential for function then they have effectively doomed all of us. i hope i am wrong.
regards f

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is another link. It is very long but informative, and covers a deal of areas and technologies brought together for a common purpose,

www.scribd.com...

Needless to say space tethers are a means to an end, but this document is about solving so many problems associated with space exploration.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

thanks for the link. lots of info to chew on. i like the tether transportation concept with it's obvious benefits on cost,time and safety aspects. i suppose if this system was ever seriously assessed then lower airspace would need enhanced regulations and weather would also be a major consideration.
regards f

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

i don't wish to alarm you or anyone else on this thread but when i opened the link it shafted my computer. i have spent a good nine hours re-installing everything from factory settings upwards. it was the only tab i had opened other than this thread.
f

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
OP:

It's a shame this thread died.

I am very interested in your insight into this matter.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

www.google.co.uk... =4&ved=0CEEQsAQwAw

some interesting images in the link
2nd
f

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Oh this will make for some intersting reading!

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This thread is completely off track for what I wanted, which is usually what happens. If someone wants this thread revived, think in terms of some very different directions.

For instance, who can explain the Dirac Energy Equation?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

matter/antimatter annihilation. are you staing that the saa has the ability to herd/produce/capture positrons?

to collect positrons wouldn't one require a magnetic collection system?
with regards to observation as craft and astronauts pass through the saa, is the field of positrons scattered and observable through minute annihilations or does the saa allow the positrons to coalesce in columns/group bondings?
puts a whole new spin on the subject!
regards f

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join