It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Really, the only concern is for people travelling through it... i.e., people (or things) in space. There are no concerns for people on the surface, who are still well within the protection of the earth's magnetic field.

The only thing that would be cause for any concern is if the anomaly approached the surface of the earth. At the moment, it's only in the satellite/ISS-orbit range. Plus, it is growing, but it's growing outward, not downward.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It is lunch time so I can sit down to post more information.

As an aside, lughtning frequently goes from the ground to the air. KSC is a major center for lightning studies, because of the harm lightning can do to missiles and equipment during a launch. A whole network of sensors are present at the Cape and on KSC, and they can detect changing electrical charges on the ground before a lightning strike occurs, even when initiated by clouds. That is another topic, however, and I want to stay on course with this one.

Like with the Dulce Canyon thread, I'm not seeing the responses I was wanting, so I might as well spill the beans again. Low earth orbits are key for high-resolution ground observation satellites. However, most satellites from non-classified sources would not be sophisticated enough to utilize such an energy source as the radiation within the South Atlantic Anomaly. Therefore, only an agency with significant resources, both in terms of money and cutting edge technology, could utilize this concept. I hope this is understood, because it is as far as I will go with this portion of the topic. Do not even bother asking what agencies might be involved, because I will not answer to the negative or affirmative.

Back to the Anomaly itself. I did mention earlier that while this is by far the largest, it is not the only problem location. Expanding on what i said earlier, there are many types of sites that have been identified. For nearly all of them of significant size, they are high enough in the atmosphere to not affect routine human events. The small numbers of ones that do have the capacity to affect human efforts are very interesting. Most of these sites are in the same locations of known magnetic ground anomalies, such as I mentioned about aviation maps. While I definitely do not want to pursue this at this time, I will mention that a fair number of these locations are associated with a "higher than normal" number of UFO sightings. That also would have to be another topic at another time.

The GPCs, or General Purpose Computers, aboard the orbiters are badly outdated, so that any complication on-orbit activities are routinely controlled by laptops taken into space by the crew. They plug into the GPC system and the laptop can override the GPCs themselves. This becomes a problem in the Anomaly, because there have been times that while right in the middle of such an activity, as they go into the Anomaly, the laptop flips out. Sometimes the data becomes erroneous, sometimes it becomes completely garbled, and sometimes the laptop just flat out crashes. As you could imagine, neither NASA nor the crews appreciate it when this happens. Earlier,they even took up "hardened" laptops meant to survive the EMP of a nuclear blast, but they still fell under the effects of the Anomaly. Without giving additional information, some important people have intentionally used the Anomaly to learn how to function with electronics equipment in a high-radiation area. All of that information is classified, but it should be interesting just to know that has happened.

That should be enough for one post. I hope this continues to be interesting to those who read this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
If I had the cash I would find an Island there to set up base. No eyes in the sky to snoop and air traffic avoiding the area as well. Perfect place to avoid the ptb.
I wouldn't be surprised to find UFO/USO abundance in this area.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
OP:

Do you have any theories as to what causes this anomaly?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Weapons platform, possible power source for such or other military applications being this anomaly....makes me think about a thread I read last week. It had to do with the Iridium Satellite Communications co., which is a group of 66 satellites covering the earth,including poles, that carries phone communications world-wide and links with DISN ( Defense Info Systems Agency) and the DOD. Surely one of their satellites would be flying over this anomaly on a regular basis ??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Would this have something to do with "Space tethers" or "Space elevators"

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
hello truth1000.
you have raised some interesting possibilities. with your comment regarding unidentified aerial phenomenon reported in locations near to anomalies sends me back twenty five years ago reading a book connected to this subject.
regards f

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

I'm with a few others on a "space based" weapon.
The military "navy" has the money and the technology and lets face it, they turn any new discovery they find into a weapon...
I could go a bit silly and say plasma drive or stargate....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The anomaly occurs in an area where the inner Van Allen Belt is weaker than normal. It also occurs primarily over uninhabited ocean, with a general lack of surface weather variables. That matter that both of these facts are true are likely two variables in the initial formation of the Anomaly. What troubles the scientists though is that other large areas of ocean exist without another large phenomenon like this. There are other areas of relative weakness in the inner Van Allen Belts, and they also don't have this type of activity.

While most people think of NASA scientist as all rocket engineers, there are nearly all aspects of science within the NASA community. Think of the moon rocks. Who taught the astronauts all the information on what types of rocks there are, how they are formed, variations within rocks that make them more interesting to geologists, and on and on? That was why the astronauts spent so much time on the moon's surface deciding which rocks to collect. They had to learn about body physiology, how to measure and monitor it, in order to notice anything out of the ordinary. (which brings up the sparkles in the retinas of the astronauts, both en route to the moon and in the South Atlantic Anomaly) I met scientists from more fields than I had ever heard of before I was involved with the space mission.

Therefore, when all of these various scientists sit down and discuss/argue what the South Atlantic Anomaly is, how it came to be, and what can we do with it, it was both entertaining and very enlightening. There are areas of tectonic plate movements that are responsible for both volcanoes and earthquakes, but below the Anomaly the tectonic plates are fairly stable. Nevertheless, below the tectonic plates are layered segments of the Earth's composition that are the components that cause the tectonic plates to move. The deeper layers of core materials have some unusual characteristics in this area. In one of these deep layers, instead of the sort of migration of that layer as it circulates, there is a rotational component not seen in many other areas, with the equipment available at that time. Because of the composition of this layer, this rotational component would flow of the core out of this area, and would hold the electro-magnetic forces in a relatively localized area. According to several of the geologists and physicists, this could explain the variability of the Van Allen Belt and the Anomaly itself. Of all of the theories I have heard, this has been the one most agreed upon, and the one which I tend to believe. While this is the most suitable explanation, it also raises many other questions and problems. But that will have to be another post.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

So the theary is there is a large deposit of something under the plates that is rotating and causing the effect??
Do they have any idea what that substance is??

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Truth, your op and continuous posts intrigue me. aside from the fact that you want to lead the reader to hypothesize a craft that not only could harness the electrical or other type of energy, but use it in a manner different than one would normally consider in real time physics and energy displacement. your basis of the general knowledge and even enlightened conversations and discussions with other scientists beg the question, how current is your information? basic electrical energy movement via air and space is already a fact and being used today. are you implying that technology was initially based on this phenomena? just want to know more.
i await further posts.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

I am not trying to even talk about "technology." This thread was started because some of the people had never heard of the Anomaly. The only technology I discussed was the "possible" use of the power generated by a metallic array to provide electricity to low-Earth orbit satellites.

One reason I am so cautious about releasing any information is that there are always people who want to take basic information and "transform" it to mean all kinds of things not even associated with the data discussed.

It is frustrating that so many people want "disclosure" but are so critical of ANY information released. With the tremendous speculations already associated with what I have discussed, based on simple NASA findings of this radiation anomaly, is it really worth this to try to let people learn something?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
Okay, guys, let's get back on track here.

First, the exact size and distribution varies, but not too greatly. It has little effect inside the physiological atmosphere, so airliners and their passengers receive more radiation than on the surface of the Earth, but less than double that of airliners anywhere else.

Secondly, I am not a "pole shifter" and there is ZERO evidence the South Atlantic Anomaly is evidence that a pole shift is underway. NASA and the Air Force, for different reasons, monitor all of the variances in the Van Allen Belts and the magnetosphere, and the scientists I worked with at KSC (NASA) and Cape Canaveral AFS (USAF) were concerned about a lot of things, but not a pole shift in our lifetimes.

Whe the Anomaly is the largest one, there are many smaller variations in the Van Allen Belts, as well as upper atmosphere itself. As I mentioned earlier, some are tied to Earth anomalies, such as magnetic distortions, etc., while others are as puzzling as the South Atlantic Anomaly. A few such variations disappear, then reappear, while others are continuous, but seem to wander around a bit.

You guys can keep looking for information, but you don't have to go to "other than normal" scientific sites. Believe me, the information we will be discussing about this topic will be plenty interesting without any of that added. For the time being, let's stick to the science, please.

Science is about finding answers to puzzling questions. Is there a way to use the power? Can it cause problems with electrical instruments? (Airliners for example, Air France flight 447) Does it affect the weather?

Truth1000, you seem to have the most knowledge about the subject, so this thread is going to be filled with more questions than answers.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Lawmaker, if you are such an expert, why don't you just finish this thread?

maybe I'm just tired tonight, but I am getting sick and tired of this. Someone got on the Dulce Canyon thread and did this same kind of thing.

I've known about the South Atlantic Anomaly since 1989, so I do not have the latest data. However, I have sat in on so many discussions about this, the thread is of no value for ME to learn about this. I have done this for those who do NOT know about it.

I'm really getting tired of this.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000

Therefore, when all of these various scientists sit down and discuss/argue what the South Atlantic Anomaly is, how it came to be, and what can we do with it, it was both entertaining and very enlightening. There are areas of tectonic plate movements that are responsible for both volcanoes and earthquakes, but below the Anomaly the tectonic plates are fairly stable. Nevertheless, below the tectonic plates are layered segments of the Earth's composition that are the components that cause the tectonic plates to move. The deeper layers of core materials have some unusual characteristics in this area. In one of these deep layers, instead of the sort of migration of that layer as it circulates, there is a rotational component not seen in many other areas, with the equipment available at that time. Because of the composition of this layer, this rotational component would flow of the core out of this area, and would hold the electro-magnetic forces in a relatively localized area. According to several of the geologists and physicists, this could explain the variability of the Van Allen Belt and the Anomaly itself. Of all of the theories I have heard, this has been the one most agreed upon, and the one which I tend to believe. While this is the most suitable explanation, it also raises many other questions and problems. But that will have to be another post.

all the more reason for ET headquarters on the seabed collecting data of the phenom, collecting the available energy from the anomaly, whilst using the anomaly as a cover of protection.

what causes the vortex though? hmm maybe there is a natural stargate somewhere down there...or a possible entrance into the hollow earth? the mass vortex could be like a giant drain that leads into the hollow world, with a corresponding place on earth where the water is redeposited back onto the surface. usually these two places are assumed to be the north and south pole, but i'm just trying to adapt the theory for these circumstances.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

truth, i've enjoyed your postings so far. not sure why you'd say those things re: what i posted. not an expert here. query is always a good way to learn for me. we all take a few things with a grain of salt and some things with more openness. hope you continue to post information for discussion. it just takes a bit longer for people like me to take in information. and its always worth it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I am a pretty frequent lurker on this forum. But I felt the need to step in and say a few things.

Truth, you are obviously highly intelligent, and to be honest I think you are speaking to the wrong crowd. I greatly applaud your efforts to educate the very open minded members of this forum, however, as an aspiring scientist myself (studying psychology as an undergrad) I think you'll only meet resistance and, ironically, ignorance in your efforts to encourage people on the internet to learn for themselves.

I want to say that I really enjoyed your posts so far, and thank you for contributing. The material has been very interesting and I am willing to learn more about it.

Do you have a blog or something else off of ATS where you post material by any chance?
edit on 3-2-2011 by Novastar824 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Hi Truth!

Thank you for sharing your insights into the more interesting findings of the scientific community. The brainstorming sessions you participated in sound fascinating. Now I gotta say one comment on your stance against out there thinking, here goes, just remember these names, Gene Roddenberry, Ray Bradbury. Their fun, sci fi approach gave inspiration for current trends amongst the scientific community. What you're experiencing right now, on this board is the new generation of sci fi thinking, some will be comic book junk, others well, just might inspire a new direction in thought. Just something to keep in mind.

Okay, now to the main reason I'm responding to your post, The Anomaly. My first thought on hearing that there was a rotational motion moving out from the core was envisioning the magnetic field feeding into both poles. It sounds like the earth is breathing in at the poles and expelling at the equator, lol. I'm basing this crazy idea on the little info on what the material is beneath The Anomaly. I'm also picturing plumes shooting out from the sun, the sun discharging, sounds similar. Also, what shape is this underground outward rotation taking, is it tornado shaped? I'm not saying it's a tornado, just the shape. Also, what direction is it spinning? Also, is there any magnetic spin to the airspace above and the radiation in space? And if so, is it reversed from the spin under The Anomaly?

Lots of questions, but lol, you've got my poor little mind spinning on this and I'm enjoying every minute of it,

It's Greatly Appreciated,

STM

edit on 2/4/2011 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch

Hi Truth!

Okay, now to the main reason I'm responding to your post, The Anomaly. My first thought on hearing that there was a rotational motion moving out from the core was envisioning the magnetic field feeding into both poles. It sounds like the earth is breathing in at the poles and expelling at the equator, lol. I'm basing this crazy idea on the little info on what the material is beneath The Anomaly. I'm also picturing plumes shooting out from the sun, the sun discharging, sounds similar. Also, what shape is this underground outward rotation taking, is it tornado shaped? I'm not saying it's a tornado, just the shape. Also, what direction is it spinning? Also, is there any magnetic spin to the airspace above and the radiation in space? And if so, is it reversed from the spin under The Anomaly?

Lots of questions, but lol, you've got my poor little mind spinning on this and I'm enjoying every minute of it,

It's Greatly Appreciated,

STM

edit on 2/4/2011 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

my ears just perked up like none other! when you said: "t sounds like the earth is breathing in at the poles and expelling at the equator, lol. " I thought of a Torus!
Apparently every electron, atom, and Planet, is quite literally a Torus! a torus is a doughnut shape. you might picture it better as a sphere with a tunnel going through the middle that connects the north/south poles. and the energy of a vortex does exactly what you mentioned! it goes into the planet at the poles and comes back out at the equator.

I've done quite a lot of research into Marko Rodin's work and it is the perfect example to use...
this is a short TED speech summary of Marko's work, and the role that Vortexs and Torus have in it

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

Wow! Fascinating video, I'll search Youtube for more. The picture I proposed just seemed like a natural progression of the bit of information Truth gave us, and there's not much more on the web. If he comes back and says there is no spin per se, well, I guess that would mean back to the drawing board. Whatever the answer may be I am sure it will be an out of the box answer otherwise it would not have stumped the scientific community for so many years. At some point they're gonna have to admit that they need the "whacko factor" to get some direction, lol.

STM

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join