It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by metalshredmetal

the box is over here. Just in case you misplaced it when you stepped out.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

you mentioned that this anomaly does not move. Are there other areas with this same phenomenon? What I am getting at is there are more than just the "Bermuda triangle", there is the "devils triangle" and I think a few others. the Bermuda being the most famous. It just would seem weird if in all the research that goes into that area, and the fact that what you are discussing is not hidden, why hasn't it been talked about in conjunction with the triangles? Of course I am jumping ahead assuming that you would answer my question with a yes.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
From what i have been given to understand, the scientists have established a new monitor station specifically for this area.
It has been put at the old whaling station on south Ascention island falklands.
The anomaly is moving/spreading?
There has been some concern of late in scientific circles regarding this anomaly but there is little info to go on as yet.
peace bro

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Good thought, but no dice. Because humans are aboard, we want them in the Anomaly as little as possible. The groundtrack/orbital path was designed to limit this time.

While I am online, I will add that there is NOT a corresponding area on the opposite side of the Earth.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000

Good thought, but no dice. Because humans are aboard, we want them in the Anomaly as little as possible. The groundtrack/orbital path was designed to limit this time.

While I am online, I will add that there is NOT a corresponding area on the opposite side of the Earth.

are there any other areas, or just this one?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

the box is over here. Just in case you misplaced it when you stepped out.

i hate being confined. dissolution of boundaries is the key to consciousness expansion.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

So, not the ISS and not satellites? Got me.

If the ISS could send out unmanned probes they could collect it. :p

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You asked what spacecraft could take advantage of this anomaly, I am guessing, not one of those "in the know", NanoSail-D? Maybe Deep Space 1? You did not answer if this is related to magma, and could there be some sort of vortex under this area? I mean vortex as in the shape of a whirlpool? Even if I am demonstrating my abysmal ignorance, this is a great thread, lots of fun, please continue!
edit on 3-2-2011 by Iamschist because: just because a person can't spell!

edit on 3-2-2011 by Iamschist because: additional research

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

I have never heard about this anomoly before.

Subscribed.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If my earlier post seemed off topic, it is because I am not a science buff. I am a watcher. I saw the map offered by another poster, and it triggered a thought pattern.

To state that there is not a corresponding area on the earth is to be left with imbalance, and corresponding doesn‘t always mean identical…can even be opposite. For every negative, there is a positive; that is what brings balance to our tilted earth.

Because of this tilt and translation, the inner Van Allen belt is closest to the Earth's surface over the south Atlantic ocean, and farthest from the Earth's surface over the north Pacific ocean.

en.wikipedia.org...

I understand that you are trying to find a way to harness the energy for space craft, but IF the source is on earth, wouldn’t it be easier to attempt to harness the energy right from the source…not in the path of the effects of the source?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Soke33

I only have a moment, but asymmetry is common in nature, especially with something as large as a planet.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Soke33

I only have a moment, but asymmetry is common in nature, especially with something as large as a planet.

i wouldn't go so far to say asymmetry is common, the evidence of symmetry in nature FAR surpasses examples of asymmetry...just sayin. it's the paradigm/perspective of the beholder..IMO of course
edit on 2/3/11 by metalshredmetal because: eidt

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
This is so interesting! I am doing some reading on this before I post anything...here is a paragraph from a wilipedia page on it, and a link to the page.....S&F!

"The South Atlantic Anomaly is of great significance to astronomical satellites and other spacecraft that orbit the Earth at several hundred kilometers altitude; these orbits take satellites through the anomaly periodically, exposing them to several minutes of strong radiation, caused by the trapped protons in the inner Van Allen belt, each time. The International Space Station, orbiting with an inclination of 51.6°, requires extra shielding to deal with this problem. The Hubble Space Telescope does not take observations while passing through the SAA.[7] Astronauts are also affected by this region which is said to be the cause of peculiar 'shooting stars' seen in the visual field of astronauts.[8] Passing through the South Atlantic Anomaly is thought[9] to be the reason for the early failures of the Globalstar network's satellites."

NASA has reported that modern laptops have crashed when the space shuttle flights passed though the anomaly.[10]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Soke33

A is the father of B, since B cannot be the father of A, but there are still two sides to everything, in my observation; if for no other reason, cause and effect.

I believe the source of the energy in SAA is from natural occurences of the relationship between earth and the space around it. Like other energies studied, the happenings in the space around earth sometimes originate from activity on earth, i.e. lightening can originate from the ground up, not only from the atmosphere down.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread. I've read about this anomaly before but didn't pay it much thought. You asked what kind of craft could use that extra energy that could be gathered while going through this anomaly. I think the answer could be a space based weapons platform. It would have the need for long term flight endurance and a source of energy that could be converted into a weapon of some sort.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

Totally.

A perfect way to charge large banks of capacitors that would be necessary for a directed energy weapon.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I personally think this would be a great place to set up a star wars defense or offense station it would be unmanned so the radiation wouldnt harm anyone and all of the excess energy could be stored for when needed and it would be like a battery that dosent go dead i watched something on the tether and that alone produced lots of energy but it snapped you could see a line glowing in the night sky if you watched it which i didnt but the possiblities are endless when you have free energy just waiting to be used

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
A concern was mentioned about this anomaly. Could someone please enlighten us as to what the concern(s) may be? All that I've gathered so far is that this anomaly has high radiation.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sixswornsermon

The energy could also be used to power a laser and take out satellites or ballistic missiles. Use the energy to take out a few satellites, recharge through the anomaly, and have a go at it again during the next orbit.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

As Truth1000 specified, asymmetry is especially common in things as large as a planet. It's ironic, but really small things have symmetry, really large things have symmetry, but the stuff in the middle has an abundance of asymmetry. And in the middle is where planets lie. Especially the dynamics that produce the earth's magnetic field. The only symmetry this field has is having a north and south pole roughly at opposite ends...other than that, there's really no symmetry to the magnetosphere whatsoever. The SAA is simply a more impressive irregularity, it's not out of the ordinary by any means.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join