It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your level of education?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I got a more or less worthless B.A. from an allegedly "good" university many years ago. Although the name of the school has helped me in many ways over the years, I have to admit I didn't learn anything there I couldn't have learned on my own. My real education has been in the business world, eye-opening work and travel through some of the less savory parts of what people used to call the Third World, and in my more "arcane" noodlings around sites like ATS.
edit on 2/2/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm probably slightly unusual as - due to unfortunate circumstances - I never went to school, yet alone went on to higher education.

So, as it says on my CV: ''No formal qualifications''.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Another high school dropout here. I got my G.E.D at 16, and then almost two years of college before I gave up on formal education as a bad wheeze.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Before that a masters..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I got kicked out of a calculus for heresy once.

I ponted out that division by zero is perfectly easy and obvious if you ask it the right way. The whole h business is merely intellectual dishonesty due to not recognizing the special nature of zero. Ah well, western science didn't invent the concept of zero, so I guessit can be forgiven for the misunderstanding, and the workaround functions fairly ok.

The proper way to couch a division by zero problem is to decide which answer is more appropriate: an identity or infinity.

To put it in the vernacular:

If i divide my bills by my money (zero), what is the result? Answer: identity, the same as I started; alas, they don't magically disappear as easily as higher math would make it seem.

How many times can I divide my bills (something) by the amount of money I have (nothing, aka zero)? Answer: An inifinity of times.

Those two answers are the only two you will ever get from a division by zero. If they didn't chop off the graph of h arbitrarily short of one, it'd be more obvious than it already is.

But then maybe I'm just a math retard, my I.Q. is merely around 150 or so.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I got kicked out of a calculus for heresy once.

I ponted out that division by zero is perfectly easy and obvious if you ask it the right way.....

ROTFLMAO

very good.

Generally those who "disrupt" the class are the brightest students who are bored to death having to crawl when they want to fly.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have a B.Sc. in electrical engineering, but haven't been able to find work with since I graduated a few years ago. I love the subject, and enjoyed learning about it. However, I have nothing but bad things to say about my alma mater.

Like many others have said, I wouldn't rely too much on education as a guide to intelligence. Formal education does show a certain willingness to work, but given how easy it is to coast through most degrees, it doesn't even really show much of that. It's more a show in patience that you are willing to stick with something for 4 years or however long. I have met too many idiots with degrees (including graduate degrees) and too many smart people with no formal education to rely wholly on degrees as a measure of intelligence.

A few people mentioned IQ and the books one has read/owns. I've never had my IQ formally tested, but a few of the free online tests I've done have rated from 125-150. (the highets and lowest scores I've seen) I don't know how many books I own, but I have six bookcases in my bedroom overflowing, and stacks on the floor that are waiting until I can get more shelves. Interestingly, I haven't been to a library in years; I get 99% of my books nowadays at second hand stores, garage sales, or as gifts. There's nothing quite so satisfying as coming home with a giant box of books that cost like $30 for everything :p

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Generally those who "disrupt" the class are the brightest students who are bored to death having to crawl when they want to fly.

lol, aint that the truth..
Schools are set up for average students..
The bright are quickly bored and disrupt class..
I always found it a good way to get out to play quicker

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
High School dropout, later GED. Very well read, some Tech School.
Self educated.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
OK, I'll bite. I have a degree (4 year) that I never used and have spent 20 years in a field that I love and enjoy going to work most days. Probabaly beats what my major in university was, I don't have anyone shooting at me on a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've completed some college. (2 years).

I'm currently taking a "break."

....a nice three year break.....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Level 19 Iron Buddhist.

College.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TikkTok
Level 19 Iron Buddhist.

College.

WOW, I'm a level 85 Palidon with all the good gear.

Just j/king...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I have a High School Diploma.

BUT, in about 3 months time I will have a B.A in History as well as a B.A in Psychology !! Almost there!!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Associates degree in legal research
tech school for my CNA certification
tech school for computer programming
tech school for social service work
1 year college for certification in physical therapy (needed for social services)
then 6 years of working with Autistic adults as a vocational coach and in home nurse (yep, I count that as education)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

nothing "official" since high school, also i went to a vocation school at the same time as high school for residential electricity and cabling. read a few books, of course. + personal experience. but i'm only 23

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
To satisfy your curiousity...BA-English major College of Liberal Arts. Hard to find a job with that one but I enjoyed reading and writing and my family insisted I graduate from college so that's what I chose.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

well.... I just [today] figured out where your location status is....
where does that put me on the 'too-cool-for-school' list?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I got my BS from Hard Knocks.

I got my smarts from observation.

I got my skills through application.

I got my stupid from indoctrination.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Highschool class of 2003

AA Degree Business Administration
International Business Certificate
Entry-Level Accounting Certificate
Ph.D. Street Smart

Master of Interpersonal Communication

AA Degree ATS

BS Degree on various subject throughout the net (self-educated)
Working on BA in Public Adminstration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join