It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Cowboys Stadium Never Lost Power during Rolling Blackouts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Why Cowboys Stadium Never Lost Power during Rolling Blackouts

www.myfoxdfw.com

DALLAS - Despite scheduled rolling blackouts across North Texas to relieve maxed-out power grids on Wednesday, electricity kept flowing at energy-hogging Cowboys Stadium in Arlington.

According to Oncor electric delivery representative Megan Wright, the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI have asked for an exemption for the facility.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think there is more to this story than what we've been told. I have no solid proof of anything as far as a plausible threat. What a great time to knock us to our knees though. I read somewhere that close to a Billion people are going to be watching this game throughout the world on Sunday. I'm glad I live on the other side of the DFW Metroplex.

www.myfoxdfw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Many of those big venues have emergency back-up power sources. there is just too damn much money at stake to accept the financial loss and potential liability by not having such contingencies in place.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
If there was ever a day to stay indoors here, its Sunday. No way I'm getting out in that mess unless I have to.

I just think its weird that this area (DFW) has never really had blackouts before. Any time they happened was due to a Tunderstorm, but this winter storm moved threw Monday night. I would have thought that if anything was going to happen it would have been then or early Tuesday.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
generator?

2nd line...and again..generator? have we not heard of these things?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The real reason they kept the power flowing to Cowboys Stadium while people in the DFW area froze was so Jerry could watch TV from either side of the jumbotron.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well Dallas isn't in North Texas for one.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was blacked out from 7a-7:22a, 9:04a-9:32:a, and 11:10a-11:36a today at my house (my wife was here).

Where i work was not blacked out at all. In my town we have three substations. 1 of them services the prison park, where we have 5 federal prisons and 1 state prison, and then the county jail. Another one services a mental hospital that houses forensic patients (the ones who cut up their kids and eat them, then plead insanity). This is the one my job is on.

My home is on the other substation, the one that services about 50% of the residences. The reason is that the other two were considered "essential", due to the nature of the state and federal systems we have here. It is not unreasonable to see some areas not being subject to the blackouts.

The real conspiracy is why they didn't have the pipes at those two generating stations insulated better, so that we were jeopardized with the loss of that critical infrastructure. Not to mention the tree huggers blocking the building of any new generating capacity beyond wind and solar.

FYI...Jerry Jones does what he wants, when he wants. You want to talk about a man who is connected. Jerry World gets what it wants. Look at what he actually paid for that huge stadium....he wanted subsidies, he got subsidies.
edit on 2-2-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

Are you high? Dallas IS North Texas. If you are thinking more like Amarillo, that is called "Panhandle". In the D/FW Metro there is a city called Denton, the home of the North Texas State Fighting Eagles.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

The Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington area is called "North Texas".
edit on 2-2-2011 by riddle6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2
Many of those big venues have emergency back-up power sources. there is just too damn much money at stake to accept the financial loss and potential liability by not having such contingencies in place.

That would be exactly correct,.
I guess I dont understand why this is news anyway

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
They probably have gigantic UPSs there. A lot of public places do to keep the energy constant. No big mystery here. As for them being power hogs...don't they pay for what they use?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm doing all this from a 3 minute blip during my day so I apologize for inaccuracies, but I beleive most of this is accurate.

The rolling blackouts in Texas were caused by cold weather. I am in the industry and read industry articles related to this today. The power plants in Texas are not built for prolonged exposure to cold and two plants owned by the largest power producer in TX (Luminant) had to be taken offline due to exposed pipes that burst. These plants are both located in North Texas which was hit by wet weather and then 2 day cold weather that eventually caused the plants to go inactive.

I beleive NRG (second largest producer in TX) was able to pick up some (limited) amount of the slack but were at one point generating at around 15 percent of all power in Texas. I have a nice article I can access tomorrow from my desk, but for now your going to have to take my word there is no Enron style manipulation.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlyingFaucers
I'm doing all this from a 3 minute blip during my day so I apologize for inaccuracies, but I beleive most of this is accurate.

The rolling blackouts in Texas were caused by cold weather. I am in the industry and read industry articles related to this today. The power plants in Texas are not built for prolonged exposure to cold and two plants owned by the largest power producer in TX (Luminant) had to be taken offline due to exposed pipes that burst. These plants are both located in North Texas which was hit by wet weather and then 2 day cold weather that eventually caused the plants to go inactive.

I beleive NRG (second largest producer in TX) was able to pick up some (limited) amount of the slack but were at one point generating at around 15 percent of all power in Texas. I have a nice article I can access tomorrow from my desk, but for now your going to have to take my word there is no Enron style manipulation.

ahem...

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

The real conspiracy is why they didn't have the pipes at those two generating stations insulated better, so that we were jeopardized with the loss of that critical infrastructure. Not to mention the tree huggers blocking the building of any new generating capacity beyond wind and solar.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by pwrthtbe

Maybe its tied into a energy source UNDERGROUND that couldnt be cut off... Labs-labs and more underground labs. my 1 cent.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by pwrthtbe

I think there is more to this story than what we've been told. I have no solid proof of anything as far as a plausible threat.

I don't understand. Are you suggesting that Jerry Jones made threats in order to keep the power on at the stadium? Some how I doubt that... Call it a hunch, but I imagine something like that would leak into the news....

That said, on a side note, rolling black outs do not effect every place. Some are automatically exempt. Hospitals for example. This stadium is not one of them.... But you know, sometimes asking, gets you a long way. I can easily see Jerry asking them to skip over the stadium for the purpose of preparing for the Superbowl... Only asking...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's called "common sense".

As previously stated certain buildings are exempt from these rolling bo's. Hospitals, Govmt Facilities, etc.

Let's think about this, one of the biggest sporting events in the world is getting ready to take place. There is tons and tons of security no doubt. Scanners, X-ray machines, cameras. Why cut the power to them for even a minute? Why give someone even the smallest window of opportunity to have access to the stadium.

The Dept of Homeland Security knew this and therefore the stadium was exempt from the rolling BO.

It's simple.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Good point makes sense.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I was refering to the fact that it was DHS and the FBI that asked for the exemption from the rolling bloukouts. Has there been a threat we don't know about? That's all I was asking. It was more of a retorical question? I really didn't expect to get a real answer. Just food for thought.
edit on 2/3/2011 by pwrthtbe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
It's called "common sense".

As previously stated certain buildings are exempt from these rolling bo's. Hospitals, Govmt Facilities, etc.

Let's think about this, one of the biggest sporting events in the world is getting ready to take place. There is tons and tons of security no doubt. Scanners, X-ray machines, cameras. Why cut the power to them for even a minute? Why give someone even the smallest window of opportunity to have access to the stadium.

The Dept of Homeland Security knew this and therefore the stadium was exempt from the rolling BO.

It's simple.

I completely agree...

Every year we have this Mass Media Generated fear that some faction may attempt to cause harm during the Super Bowl.

My only concern is that Hospital and Critical Care Units in Dallas were NOT Exempt. Please see attached article -

BLACKOUTS ANGER DALLAS HOSPITALS

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – They are the critical care safety nets for North Texas: Parkland, Baylor, Methodist and Presbyterian Dallas. So, during Wednesday’s rolling outages, why was the power cut to these vital hospitals?
Jorie Klein runs disaster management for Parkland Hospital, and is still upset that her hospital was included in the rotating outages. “We were not happy,” she said. “You can’t just go down for 15 minutes and come back up. It really does disrupt hospital care.”
Because of the sensitive life-saving equipment, hospitals are considered “critical care facilities,” and supposed to be exempt from rolling blackouts. That’s exactly what Presbyterian Dallas was led to believe. “We were of the understanding that hospitals and other critical-care providers were not supposed to be affected by planned outages,” said hospital spokesman Stephen O’Brien.
Oncor admits that a mistake was made. “We are sorry this happened. We are in a process of refining our processes, so in the unlikely event of future mandates for rotating outages, hospitals will be excluded,” said Oncor spokeswoman Catherine Cuellar.

My Bold Emphasis Added. A Mistake Seems Way More Logical Than Any Other Excuse. That does not mean it should have ever happened...

Regards,

t

top topics

<<   2 >>

join