It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security worried about "Threat Fatigue" -- Considers Revamping System to Keep You Afraid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
infowars.com...

as if the threat level didnt scare you enough...

now they are going to change it...

its all about keeping people afraid and making the gov't look like "protectors"...

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Actually I wouldn't scoff at the concept of Threat Fatigue. Keep in mind that the forces we have are only human, and the longer we keep them in a elevated state of awareness the less effective they become, because they get complacent, and used to the way things are, and then they start missing obvious signs like patterns of recon, different vehicles, and other tell-tale signs that something is about to go down. They goverment may 'look' like protectors now, but if an attack were to be successfully carried out during a state of hightened alert I think their whole system would come back to bite them in the arse.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I love the titles of post on this board. I seriously doubt the reason to revamp it would be to keep us afraid. I think more likely to better specifically warn us, instead of the generic process they have today.

I always thought that system was a 1.0 version, time for Homeland Security 2.0

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
There is nothing scary or an implied Gov't agenda to keep the Citizens scared in this article.

This article is based on a report citing worries over the current threat color code which I don't think means a hill of beans to begin with.

In order for this color code to work, every single citizen would have to be trained on the code and what each individual should do in case of a change of color. You can't throw out a color code and just tell people to "be aware" or "be more aware" of possible attacks this is just foolish.

The Homeland Security Dept is still fairly new and they don't have everything figured out yet, but tossed out this "bone" to give some people peace of mind. They are right to think this will be ignored as it pretty much already has been by the populous. It probably has more meaning to law enforcement and other agencies who are actively training to deal with a terrorist threat then to you and me. In this case it should be used as the current threat level system used in the military. Each level has policies and procedures to be taken and therefore has meaning.

The report is just helping to move the department in a way which can make it more efficient and credible which is a sign of progress not a sign of a gov't conspiracy to keep people scared, Alex Jone's website does that fine all by itself to those who believe it.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It's all about establishing a prolonged environment of fear within the minds of Joe Public so that the government can get off on doing what they do without too many questions.

Big Brother's first attempt at control isn't working all that well so they are off to Plan B.

Homeland Security needs to protect the US citizenry from itself!

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It's pretty evident after the first few months that the "terror level" just didn't work. The code levels were vague, and there was never any clear policy or statement of what would change the alert status and what you should do if the alert status changed.

I do think it should be revamped, but it CAN be overused. I feel that it has been overused.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

The Homeland Security Dept is still fairly new and they don't have everything figured out yet, but tossed out this "bone" to give some people peace of mind. They are right to think this will be ignored as it pretty much already has been by the populous. It probably has more meaning to law enforcement and other agencies who are actively training to deal with a terrorist threat then to you and me. In this case it should be used as the current threat level system used in the military. Each level has policies and procedures to be taken and therefore has meaning.

I agree. I think these things work well with various forces and agencies, but not with the general public. I think the best thing for the DHS to do is to look at other countries with a history of terror problems, such as the UK, Israel, and Spain, and follow their example, which is simply to make sure the public knows what to do if they see something suspicious and exercise common sense. The idea of a 'tiered' system doesn't make any sense to me as it applies to the general populace for a number of reasons. The main one is that the possibility exists that if the threat level goes up, people will disregard it because a.) it's too complicated or b.) they suspect political motivation behind it. Whether or not it's true, the mere existence of this possibility neuters the tiered system from the start. Also, america is a huge country... say the CIA gets info that an attack is imminent on Seattle, coming from terrorists using canada as a base of operations... so they put the whole of the United States on high alert, when most of the preparation is going on in Canada? makes no sense...

-koji K.

join