It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best tank????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
(i've used the ATS search engine but i can't find anything)

Which nation has the best modern battle tank?

I hear that the American (Abrahams) tanks are more advanced but the British (Challenger 2) tanks have better armour and then i hear that the french (Leclerc ) tanks are really quick..

please help

thanks for the help

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Abrams are nice. But some of the newer Russian tanks hold there own. I doubt the French are exactly going to use there tanks for anything but retreating (good thing there fast). But not to get off topic but I really liked the German Panzers of WWII.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
on a battle field who would win, working on the theory that the crews were all trained to the same standard (yes i know they are all trained differently)

[edit on 123131p://222 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Each tank has it's strengths and weaknesses. The Challenger 2 has great armour but is slow. The Leclerc has a gun with great distance and is fast but has weak armour. The Russians are good tank builders and they usually balance the main tank recquirements, mobility, protection, and firepower, so their tanks are quite good. But the Abrams also balances these recquirements and because of the turbine engine has a little better acceleration(not overall speed just take off speed). The Leopard 2 has great firepower, decent armour. and decent speed.

The Challenger 2, Leclerc, T-90, Abrams, and Leopard 2 are all good tanks and each one is better than the others in a certain situation. But overall my opinion of the best tank is the Leopard 2.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by pATTONME]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
(i've used the ATS search engine but i can't find anything)

please help

thanks for the help

Try
Best Tank thread
Merkava Mk4 vs. Abrams M1A2
New asian tanks
the development of chinese tank( lots of pictures)
US future tank-what can replace abrams??

Although most did not start as 'Best Tank' thread such post have a habit of morphing into such threads.

Hope this helps

Personally like the idea of having best armour combined within a gun that can hit the emeny before it hits me! - being British I suppose I plum for the challenger 2 best armour and now the same fire contol as the abrams - best shooting tank -

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Personally I like the Abrams fire control system and its targeting systems combined with speed mobility and fire power combined with great armor but I am bias over all there are good tanks out there but my personal favorite is the AbramsM1A2

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
thanks for the links Popeye

the next gen tanks are going to be really interesting

i've always wondered why doesn't every nation use auto loaders for their tanks?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Personally I like the Abrams fire control system and its targeting systems combined with speed mobility and fire power combined with great armor but I am bias over all there are good tanks out there but my personal favorite is the AbramsM1A2

The Challanger II uses an improved version of thr Abrams fire control system.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
The best fire control system of all is the crew and us yanks have the best on the planet

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The M1A2SEP has the best fire control, frontal armor, communications, and APFSDS in the world. The Challenger 2 has better armor all around and a better gun but is slow and lacks in the C3 area, plus it's ammo is inferior to the M829A3.

I would place either the Leo 2A6 or Merkava Mk 4 second.

Russian tanks of now are generally inferior to their western tanks.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by Kozzy]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I've read testimonies of a number of USA tankers who have tried M-1 and LEO-2 and surprisingly they prefer the LEO-2 FCS. THey remark that its easier to use.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Testimonies what were they under oath also just cuz its easier to use don't mean its better hay I have a stick and a gun the stick is easier to use but you wont get anywhere with it.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Best tank as I think is the Merkava MK4 or the Challenger 2.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by psteel

I've read testimonies of a number of USA tankers who have tried M-1 and LEO-2 and surprisingly they prefer the LEO-2 FCS. THey remark that its easier to use.

I've never heard that, if I see it I will believe it. But on paper the SEP fire control and optics outranges the Leo';s

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Tank ability is generally thought of as a combination of speed (and maneuverability), weapons, and armour. The best-armed tank is probably Abrams or T-90, fastest is the British Scorpion (50mph cross-country) and best-armoured is the Merkava Mk.4.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Actually, Russian T-80U-M1 is the fastest one so far, goes over 85 km/ph (~53 mph).

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd Man
Tank ability is generally thought of as a combination of speed (and maneuverability), weapons, and armour. The best-armed tank is probably Abrams or T-90, fastest is the British Scorpion (50mph cross-country) and best-armoured is the Merkava Mk.4.

The T-90M is rated at 850mm RHA vs KE while the SEP Abrams is 960mm. The T-90 cannot penetrate the SEP with a frontal shot at 2km, while the Abrams can and probably knock the T-90 out.

The Merkava is the best protected tank all around, period, though it's frontal armor isn't any better then other tanks.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
During the first gulf war there was a great debate between some russian tanks that the Iraqi's used and some american I think they were the ones you mentioned.

As you would the American tanks did the business but they did state that the Iraqis seemed that they never really knew what they were doing.
Maybe the best way to find would would to prgramme all the tanks into a simulator and have tank crews from different nations fight it out virtually.....
Who knows.

In a war of very well trained armys maybe the Americans would not have it all their own way who knows.
The best way to deafeat an army is using what you have at hand.
Look at the Afghan war in the 1980's the afghans used the land around them to help defeat the russians same as the V.C with the Americans in vietnam.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Afgans didnt defeat us, they were the ones who were getting their a** kicked.
And incase some people didn't know, the Iraqis used old T-72M models, ones of the first T-72 models ever made, and shi*** ones at that.
And I believe I've heard that they used aluminium for their penetrator rods in the APFSDS rounds.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Testimonies what were they under oath also just cuz its easier to use don't mean its better hay I have a stick and a gun the stick is easier to use but you wont get anywhere with it.

Their being honest and you put them down...even though they've been there and done that....LOL
No offense but I'll take their word over yours any day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join