It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep water problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Although offshore drilling had been going on for decades, the 1970s drive to develop domestic energy supplies accelerated pursuit of oil under U.S. coastal waters. In 1982, Reagan administration Secretary of the Interior James Watt created the Minerals Management Service (MMS) to promote offshore drilling by dramatically expanding drilling on the outer continental shelf. From the outset, MMS was also responsible for collecting money from leases and drilling royalties, so had an incentive to maximize revenue, creating an inherent conflict with its regulatory role.

As companies became increasingly ambitious in their exploration, they moved into deeper water and more complex subsurface geology using more complicated drilling methods. "Those increased risks," writes the Commission, "were not matched by greater, more sophisticated oversight." The industry failed to "match its massive investments in oil and gas development and production with comparable investments in drilling safety and oil-spill containment technology and contingency response planning." Government attempts to increase oversight, says the Commission, were "regularly and intensely resisted."

At the same time, the report explains, the deepwater offshore drilling industry began to rely more heavily on a network of partner companies, contractors, and subcontractors for each individual well - a trend that continues to this day. This use of partnerships and subcontracts was intended to make use of multiple companies' capabilities and expertise. (The report doesn't discuss whether or not the desire to share liability may have influenced this practice, but it seems a question worth asking.) But this structure, now an inherent feature of deepwater drilling, is also vulnerable to gaps in communication - gaps that plagued the Deepwater Horizon response.

Like the industry's complex, multi-partner arrangements for well-drilling, the government's plan for addressing oil spills distributes responsibilities between multiple actors.
edit on 2-2-2011 by oibena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

Keep your eye on BP's Atlantis rig.......it's only a matter of time. During the BP "live feed", I monitored it closely and posted many videos on my thread, including shots of the Macondo well "live feed", which was "mistakenly labeled "Atlantis" many times and quickly changed back to Macondo. If nothing has happened with it yet, it will....below is a link to some info on that , and a link to a video I caught showing Macondo live feed labeled as "Atlantis" (why?).....also a link to my thread where I have may videos showing things NOT being reported about what was actually happening.....Since the live feeds were stopped, info is non existent.....but that does not mean it is over. Safety regulations are apparently not very important to BP, and we should all be concerned about it.

Info on dangers with Atlantis
motherjones.com...

Video of Macondo labeled as "Atlantis"

My old thread with videos showing the things BP did not want seen
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

That was a very interesting video. Now, what do you think about all the extreme weather is happening to Australia?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

I just saw on TV where they superimposed the cyclone onto a map of the U.S. to give an idea of the sheer size of it....It took up almost the whole map! It is HUGE! I do think that what happened in the Gulf of Mexico has affected the jet stream, and therefore the world climate .....I live on the Gulf coast, and last month, we were in the low 20's several times for like 3 or 4 day stretches, and multiple times! (unusual)....yesterday it got down to 18 degrees and low 20's at night for several days. I have seen it that low for like 2 nights before, but not this often and for prolonged periods of time. This is not normal for us. It's messed up!

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

Oh....about the video mislabeled (?) "Atlantis"....I had one where I was recording and it actually showed them take off the heading Atlantis and switch it back to MC252 (Macondo)....I'll see if I can find it....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

thanks, apparently, the big oil clean up is a fake! They just put sand over the oil!
laiziness....

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by oibena

It is quite a production....notice I said IS...if you check the marine traffic site, they still have ships going there, including dredgers and drilling rigs (developement driller 2)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

i've lived in pensacola all my life, and your right it has been getting colder latly, and for the past 15yrs or so that is unusual.
but back when i was younger in the 70's it use to get cold like this all the time.and i know people that are older than me that say,they remember that the cold weather has always come and gone in a pattern of a few years cold and a few years warm. don't get me wrong i think bps's oil spill has messed with the gulf stream. but i think that the earth has cycles, and the cold weather that happening now is just part of it.

edit on 5-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Thanks for THAT ! I have been wondering and trying to find out for so long what is going on with Atlantis. It was under investigation I think by Salazars crew and then they put the morotorium in place. It was in my understanding that the morotorium did NOT cover all wells operating out there. I could never get a straight answer regarding Atlantis. Did they ever even bother to go take a look at it and the paperwork ? Thanks for all the great work you all have done on this. I read it whenever I can but, I don't tend to chime in much as I am not very computer savvy or deep water drilling educated.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I have seen that and wondered about it. If everything is soooooo hunky dory why would they leave all of those marine vessels out there ? That cannot be very cost effective but, hey who am I ? The world has moved on and with the exception of a few of us here and a few bloggers no one is paying attention anymore.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by piercebitchone

Here is ANOTHER instance where I was taping and noticed the heading said "Atlantis".....weird huh?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by oibena

Keep your eye on BP's Atlantis rig.......it's only a matter of time. During the BP "live feed", I monitored it closely and posted many videos on my thread, including shots of the Macondo well "live feed", which was "mistakenly labeled "Atlantis" many times and quickly changed back to Macondo. If nothing has happened with it yet, it will....below is a link to some info on that , and a link to a video I caught showing Macondo live feed labeled as "Atlantis" (why?).....also a link to my thread where I have may videos showing things NOT being reported about what was actually happening.....Since the live feeds were stopped, info is non existent.....but that does not mean it is over. Safety regulations are apparently not very important to BP, and we should all be concerned about it.

Info on dangers with Atlantis
motherjones.com...

Video of Macondo labeled as "Atlantis"

My old thread with videos showing the things BP did not want seen
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree, it really is a growing concern.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
woowww.. this is crazy, I never heard about it before, very interesting

top topics

join