It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most people on ATS copy stuff from the internet and get the aplauses- is this right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
People on ATS are getting the stars and flags and aplauses when they diddn't do any of the work. Most members go on an unusual website and copy and paste it to their new thread to get stars, its not that bigger deal, its not like it goes on your CV or any thing like that, why bother?Go onwww.ATS.com... to see more infomation
edit on 2-2-2011 by oibena because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

Because just because the information is out there doesn't mean people here are talking about it, this isn't for posting links, it's for discussion, the source information is the jumping off point.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The work comes in locating the info in the first place, analyzing it in the second, and posting it with sources and references in the third.

I take it you're relatively new here?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

i think for the most part people are 'applauding' ( giving stars and flags ) so as to verify the 'good find' on the part of the author, and mainly just to illustrate the importance or popularity of the information itself

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by oibena

Because just because the information is out there doesn't mean people here are talking about it, this isn't for posting links, it's for discussion, the source information is the jumping off point.

I'm so sorry but I didn't understand any of that?

link   
Op should not worry about it. The truth movement steals info all over the place.

Do stars and flags mean that much to you op, that you think people cannot plagiarise.

link   

Originally posted by oibena
People on ATS are getting the stars and flags and aplauses when they diddn't do any of the work. Most members go on an unusual website and copy and paste it to their new thread to get stars, its not that bigger deal, its not like it goes on your CV or any thing like that, why bother?Go onwww.ATS.com... to see more infomation

You will do the same one day, you'll see.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

yes

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonskie

Originally posted by oibena

You will do the same one day, you'll see.

The most truthful thing I have heard!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

Yes its true sometimes I am 1 who sometimes copy/paste information from other sites. I also sometimes go on my own and make threads as well with information and pic. from the net.... But I am not a flag star seeker.
Good point

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

I'm not sure how it could be any clearer, people don't post stories from other sites just to post them to get stars, they post them here so we can discuss them. The stars are meant to be a reward for good or relevant posts, the flags are for the entire thread. And help push popular ones to the top of the list to keep them active.

Clear?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by oibena

Welcome to ATS.

After you've been here awhile you'll see that "connecting the dots" is what most of this is about.

However, finding the little suckers is harder than you might think, and folks here flatout demand verification from multiple credible sources. BS doesn't cut it easily here without getting shredded with counterproof.

That's why some of us check here first for news, then go look at the sources, and use them to start hunting around for deeper info that better illuminates what is actually happening, preferably from primary sources..

Find an area of interest to you and you'll see what I mean.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Interesting stuff gets starred and flagged as defined by the reader. You flag stuff I wouldn't and I flag stuff you wouldn't. Applause is awarded by staff & moderators for insightful posts. I've never seen applause given for simply linking something. I would not expect it. There's nothing you can do about posts (starred) and threads (flagged) that you do not think deserve it. I just think you have to trust that the system OVERALL works pretty well and that junk stars & flags will be constant over time. The best way to think about it is that higher scores reflect greater contributions and time spent and that's just about it. All systems are imperfect. You get a point for a two line post and you get a point for a 100 line post. That's "not fair" either. I just wouldn't worry about it. ATS has tried various systems over the years to "reward" "user provided content." This is probably not the last revision, I would guess.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

clear!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Not intending to be rude; but would you prefer that the true ATS community simply make up what relay and have you take it on faith that it's true?

Plagiarism is not tolerated (as a matter of policy). Attribution is part of the discipline of research.

But I cannot discuss the works of Thomas Paine, for example, without the liberty of being able to quote him. What would your alternative be? If a 'news' agency or blogger says something interesting, how am I to discuss it if I can't link to it?

This is a forum, and we must have the liberty to extend our speech freely, or this community won't work at all... just as the community of MSM 'newstainment' doesn't work.... at least not in a truly positive way.

BTW - who on Earth is ATS.com????? More snipers in the wilderness?

As far as stars and flags are concerned; make of them what you will. Everyone has their own view on the matter. In the end, such things are vacuous and inconsequential.

Say what you mean, mean what you say.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The applause comes from the mods/ staff of the site, the flags and stars come from the members. You will know when get staff applause by a private message that reads soemthing like

A member of the forum staff, Springer, has applauded your activity on this thread titled, "ATS thread title". Thank you for contributing to the quality of our forums. You received a 500 point bonus, keep up the good work. Do not reply to this U2U.

Here is a good description of applause by a wel respected staff member (RIP jkrog)
ats post

The flags and stars come from the members. Flags on the thread and stars on individual posts, it is entirely subjective of the members reading to assign flags and stars.

I dont think it really has to do anything with linking elsewhere, but because this is a discussion forum and not a news site, there will be links in every thread, its the nature of dicussing outside topics. I have received all three (applause, flags and stars) for both posts with links and posts without links.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't know how others feel, but I've viewed the flags as an indicator of how interesting or relevant a topic is and the stars as approval for what is said in that particular post. This is a discussion board and not a news reporting site.

It's also I guess a bit of a game to some, collecting flags I mean. Never really cared about that.

I don't think we need the stars and flags but if others like them, it's fine with me. Busy place with lots of people to please. They can't exactly cater the board to please any individual or small group. It would be pretty unreasonable of anyone to want to have the place custom tailored to their wants in such a large community. Narcissism never goes over well in large communities, while being considerate and tollerant of everyone's wants and views is a very good thing. The Owners of ATS have always done a great job of finding a middle ground.

I see ATS as both a great place for discussion and also as entertainment. They seem to have struck a pleasing balance on both counts here and the number of members is evidence of that.

Perhaps you did not understand this is a discussion board and the linked stuff is what the discussions are about?

new topics

top topics

join