It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power outages underway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Yesterday on the news there was a lot of talk about the possibility of thousands of power outages across the country due to the massive storm rolling through. According to some the ice would become a problem if it gets to thick around the power lines.

Today I have experienced several different power outages, it would come on for a while and then turn back off and so on, but here's the thing, I am in Houston and we are definitely not having any problems with ice or snow or rain for that matter.

Anybody else?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Yesterday on the news there was a lot of talk about the possibility of thousands of power outages across the country due to the massive storm rolling through. According to some the ice would become a problem if it gets to thick around the power lines.

Today I have experienced several different power outages, it would come on for a while and then turn back off and so on, but here's the thing, I am in Houston and we are definitely not having any problems with ice or snow or rain for that matter.

Anybody else?

There more or less is a thread on this already...kinda.
Yes, the Austin area is getting the rolling outages also. Evidently, our northern brethern are sucking up our juice.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

That just doesn't seem right to me. I think there is something more to this.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
KSAT in San Antonio had a story on their website this morning (link in off topic general discussion here) They said 10 to 15 minutes, but at least one person (Aggie Man- in Austin?) said theirs was 30 or 45 mins and it was out at hubby's office for 45 mins before lunch.

It happened in 1989, in an ice storm right before Christmas, but I don't think it did in the ice storm in 2004 or 2005. In 89, supposedly clogging up some kind of equipment at Braunig Lake (south of SA). The story today said it's because they're doing some kind of work on the system. Great timing. /snark

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Here in South Texas,I've had outages since the middle of last night ranging from 10-45 minutes...from what I've come up with,ERCOT is experiencing a major strain due to the unatural temperatures here in TX and also due to frozen gas lines? This from someone who works at local power co-op out here in the boonies.
My friend in El Paso just told me that all of their power company's electrical gererators are now non-functioning (she works for a politician) and that there is a voluntary 10pm curfew in effect there...

edit on 2-2-2011 by irishchic because: spelling

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Why is there a curfew?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
None here in PA yet. I'll let you all know if we do though. We're pretty used to the cold and even ice so I'm not sure if they'll put that in effect here, but honestly...just taking a step back and looking at the big picture with this storm and everything involved with the storm - I get some sort of uneasy feeling about it all.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
Here in South Texas,I've had outages since the middle of last night ranging from 10-45 minutes...from what I've come up with,ERCOT is experiencing a major strain due to the unatural temperatures here in TX and also due to frozen gas lines? ]

I am in Texas to and have also experienced numerous power outages since last night. Most seeming to last about 20 minutes, give or take.

I have not called the electric company to report it but several of my friends have and they were told that Texas is doing rolling black outs, due to people using excessive amounts of electricity to run their heaters and what not.

www.readwriteweb.com...

Yeah, seems ERCOT ( "operator of about 75% of the states power grids") is ordering rolling black outs for Texas.

On a side note, for people who have fires going in there fire place, I hear that now days, it uses less electricity to just run the heater and not have a fire... Something about having the flu open and letting cool air in will make the heater run more.... That is hearsay though... So... for what ever that is worth.

Stay warm everybody!!
edit on 2-2-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Its cold up here

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by irishchic

Why is there a curfew?

EL PASO - City Manager Joyce Wilson is requesting that residents follow a voluntary curfew, and stay off roadways.

Wilson said the priority now is to de-ice roads. She said if weather conditions worsen, the city may impose a

mandatory curfew.

www.ktsm.com...

It's weather related. If you were to hit an ice patch and slide off the road on the outskirts of El Paso, then they may not find you for a very long time.

As to the OP, we have had a 10-20 minute black out about once every two hours. For me it is irritating because I work on a desktop computer at home. Every time the power goes out so does my computer. I'm already sick of rebooting.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic

My friend in El Paso just told me that all of their power company's electrical gererators are now non-functioning (she works for a politician) and that there is a voluntary 10pm curfew in effect there...

edit on 2-2-2011 by irishchic because: spelling

Oh that is interesting. How does a voluntary curfew work? You only go in before 10 PM if you want? Not sure I get the idea of a voluntary curfew...

Oh I see the post above me offering an explanation. It is just a request to be in before 10 PM rather than a demand. I understand now.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

I am a bit uneasy about it also. It seems lately that there is alot going on in the US and with the chaos in the middle east and all I wonder if this has to do with a possible blackout across the grid.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The City of Las Cruces, NM, was shut down today by order of the El Paso Electric Company. They said that fears of blackouts caused by large electrical usage could be avoided by shutting down all large power users; which indicates they are looking out for the home-residences. This is good!

On a sad note, my pipes just froze solid and so I had to run some heaters out to the pump house to try and warm the water before it gets to the pipes and then trickle it from there. Still no movement yet! Yikes, it is 11 degrees outside and it isn't going to get warmer. This is very unnatural for us and we are all so thin blooded!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
AUSTIN, Texas — Burst water pipes at two coal-fired power plants forced them to shut down, triggering rolling power cuts across the state, the lieutenant governor said Wednesday.
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said this is something that "should not happen."
Dewhurst said he was told that water pipes at two plants, Oak Grove and Sand Hill, forced them to cut electricity production. Natural gas power plants that should have provided back up had difficulty starting due to low pressure in the supply lines, also caused by the cold weather.
The lieutenant governor said the demand placed on the Texas grid was nowhere near peak capacity. He said he was frustrated by the situation.
The statewide electricity authority ordered cities across the state to start rolling power outages to cope with the crisis.

www.chron.com...

top topics

join