It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Saudis: Bin Laden Aide Surrenders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
A close associate of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has surrendered. I think that this is putting us one more step forward to capturing them all. Khaled al-Harbi is known to be a top Al Qaeda figure. He surrendered under the Saudi offer of amnesty for terrorists.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- A close associate of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was flown from Iran to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday after surrendering to security officials at the Saudi Embassy in Tehran, a Saudi Interior Ministry official said.

Khaled al-Harbi was believed to have been living near the Afghan-Iranian border.

Video aired by the Arabic television network Al-Arabiya Tuesday showed al-Harbi being carried from a plane and placed in a wheelchair.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope that this story will lead to the capture of Osama bin Laden. As other are saying, I do not think that Laden will surrender. I guess that this is just one more bad guy down. I look forward to upcomming information about this case.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
BREAKING NEWS ~ Khaled al-Harbi (updated)

[edit on 13-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 13-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A member, robertfenix brought up the fact that this man is supposed to have no legs. In an earlier CNN news story the Saudis corrected the pentagons ID of the man discussing 9/11 with Bin Laden by his lack of legs.

CNN, Mans Identity

The Saudi government said al Harbi, about 38 or 39, fought with bin Laden against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s. Saudi officials believe al-Harbi returned to the battlefield in the mid-1990s, joining up with al Qaeda and losing at least one of his legs in combat.

That handicap caught the eyes of Saudi officials who saw the videotape last week, and convinced them the man could not be al-Ghamdy.

"We said, 'Wait a minute, he has no legs,'" one official recalled.

So who's this guy with both legs pictured today and represented as al Harbi?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Whoever it is, I am sure that this will make for a very interesting story in the near future.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm just wondering when (close) bin Laden associate Henry Kissinger is going to surrender to authorities..

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It sounds like a messenger case.

Bin Laden wants to attack? What's better in place of yet another video tape or audio tape than someone at the least posing as a close confidant, come to say a day before the attack "The End Is Nigh" and instill fear.

This will be interesting as it unfolds, if it unfolds, we may not hear much more.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Sounds like al-Quada has found the secret to regrowing limbs.

If I remember the "the guy is supposed to have a leg missing" quote has been used before, for the guy that read the speech in the Berg beheading tape ...

[edit on 13-7-2004 by thematrix]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Khaled Awdeh al-Harbi, suffered injuries that left him paralysed while fighting in Bosnia. He is confined to a wheel chair....

Apparently he has been identified as four different people.

India Info

However this was the fourth identity reported by the London-based newspaper for the paralysed Sheikh who appeared in the video sitting next to Saudi-born bin Laden.

On December 15, the daily quoted US sources naming him as Suleiman al-Ghamdi, a Saudi living in Jeddah.

It also cited Arab sources identifying him as Abu Suleman al-Makki, who married the daughter of bin Laden's right hand man Ayman al-Zawahri in Jeddah several years ago.

And other Arab sources said he was an Iraqi known by his nom de guerre "Abu Khadija," one of the "Afghan Arabs" who fought against Soviet troops and lost his foot as a resullt.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

PIcture Courtesy of AFP via Yahoo News

Will update this post as more info is available...

[edit on 13-7-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Several possibilities here.
1. How reliable was the no legs thing? Maybe it was a cover for his identity?

2. Since when does a jihadist EVER surrender? Is he a fraud sent to spread a message or propaganda (such as "we dont know where Bin Laden is, Bush is hiding him" or "we didn't do 9/11, we're being framed", or maybe even "i'm hear to let you surrender before i nuke the holy crap out of Washington DC".)

3. We already had him and this is a ploy maybe- an excuse for why we just might happen to capture Bin Laden right before the election. I like this theory best really.

4. We've so completely destroyed Al Qaida that there's nothing left to lead- he's ready to go on with his life. (Bush will probably say this.)

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The Vagabond-
Could It be that he really turned himself in? Unless there is Substantial evidance as to a coverup, which I have not seen anywhere, He may have just turned Himself in as reported. From the picture of him above it looks like he has both legs, but he is paralyzed.

The intresting thing here is that the Amnesty only applies to those charged with attacks in Saudi Arabia, He has not been charged with any, so Amnesty would not apply. Sticky situation Here.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This "surrendering" gentleman will serve as a perfect tool to plant disinformation (intelligence) to the Saudis and as a valuble insider resource for bin-Laden

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Good news, but far not good enough :-D

new topics

top topics

join