It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

tracking devices placed on MD commercial fishing boats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
www.wboc.com...

I'm told these devices were installed by the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) in order to track boat movements. Bay harvesting has limits on times/places work boats can operate.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
i kind of agree with this

if you see just how scarce some fish are,,,, and the amount of overfishing that occurs,,,, i believe something major has to be done,,, if we want a sustainable source

also,,,, when i saw the story on how dwindling fish are,,, it also showed how many fish areas, are voluntarily setting up fish co-ops where each participant gets so many pounds of fish,,, and that through scarcity overall,,, they get a higher price and so thru less fishing they're actually making more money,,,, while protecting the resource

seems a win win

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
first, the DNR has not admitted they planted these tracking devices, though everyone I've talked to says it must be theirs.
if this was mandatory and openly done you might have a point, but it's frightening to think a government agency can track someone / install a tracking device, even a commercial fisher, without their knowledge/consent.
I'm sure if we started putting GPS trackers on Imams, or journalists, without them knowing, someone would object!!!
the local media (Baltimore Sun, which has regular outdoors/fishing features) is pretty much ignoring this, presumably I think because they are anti-fishing greenies. plus most of the watermen are on the Eastern Shore of the state, which votes Republican/conservative and it thus considered an ugly stepchild. then-governor Schaeffer referred to the Shore as an outhouse (I think he used the more rude term).

I'm really surprised this isn't attracting more attention.

edit on 3-2-2011 by works4dhs because: typo

edit on 3-2-2011 by works4dhs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
if done in secret surely wrong,,, it should be open and transparent

however if some rogues were cheating and hurting others following rules,,,, then a sting wouldn't be out the question either

we need more info

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Maryland DNR fesses up

www.cecilwhig.com...

but they're only targeting poachers, so that's ok! :-)

another little step for Big Brother

top topics

join