It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned power outages hit cold, storm-hit North Texas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Planned power outages hit cold, storm-hit North Texas

Read more: www.mcclatchydc.com...

www.mcclatchydc.com

Put simply, North Texas is a mess.

Rotating power outages. Drivers contending with icy roads. Low gas pressure. Temperatures in the teens.

Area residents woke up Wednesday morning with Tuesday's chilly, slick legacy but electric providers in the state added a new wrinkle -- rotating blackouts that started at about 6 a.m.

Read more: www.mcclatchydc.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 2/2/11 by argentus because: change headline to reflect that of source

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
today in dallas we've had 9 power outages i have the worce feeling that this bad weather has just started and were in a world of hell coming this year why is the goverment taking power from us as is it feels like its -1 outside with no heat i would love to know what makes them have the power to dictate who has power and who dose not

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kim0217

Can I ask, what the heffalumps this is all about? I try to get hold of colleagues in Texas and all I get is a rushed they are worried about the rolling power outages and cut me off.. but as yet I have not been able to get any definitive answer as to the reasons why it is happening..

any help would be very welcome...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Don't know about down there but up here during bad storms all my life we have had rolling blackouts. The reason always told was to provide energy to a wider base of customers if even for only 15-20mins at a time. Kinda like sharing, instead of a certain group being without power for the duration. Plus I think it also depends on where they have to redirect the power to work on lines that are down, the electricity has to go somewhere else the entire grid could go.

link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

HAARP is running, creating this storm and large cloud cover so that we cannot see the alien and the US battle above us.

link   
i havent had any clear answers ive called the power company and they wont give me a answer

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
State power emergency, rolling blackouts as a result of global warming/freezing.
Having to work from home, again.

Still makes you wonder if the Super Bowl has anything to with these blackouts.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
In my 47 years living in Texas, today is the first time I've experienced "rolling blackouts". Of course, those from other states (California) will laugh at this thread, as I'm sure they've grown accustomed to them.

In my opinion, it's no big deal. The "grid" is overloaded so they have to reduce the load to protect the system. Otherwise, we'll all be in the dark, for longer than an hour. (Though ours in Central Texas was only about 20 minutes)

At least that's what I understand about it.
edit on 2-2-2011 by WTFover because: The word is l-e-a-s-t not leat

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Yes California would laugh at them I am laughing, when I lived in Berkeley, Ca. from 88-2000 they were common, especially when the weather was very hot and air conditioners were working over time. I don't remember black outs but certainly plenty of brown outs.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
...its common to do this - because - the system gets overloaded and if it all goes down, thats gonna really suck... i'm in san antonio and my power went out for about an hour this morning... no biggie except i hadnt made coffee yet and that made me kinda grouchy...

...the overload comes from everyone using more power than we usually do... i keep my thermostat at 68 during the day and 65 at night (if its below 55 outside)... most folks i know keep their houses much hotter but thats unhealthy, imo... yesterday, with that damn wind, the heater ran almost constantly and so did everyone else's...

...for us, the weather improves on friday... i can handle it... been in much worse...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was totally surprised to read the Texas is doing the rolling blackouts during a cold snap .... sure seems strange cause there never have any trouble with the air conditioning during triple digit temperatures.
Something isn't adding up here folks. Cause Texas isn't on the national grid.
edit on 11/03/2008 by Skydancer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am in Houston and have been experiencing them as well, no ice or snow however, it's windy and probably about 50º outside.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Wow.. I didn't know, I've not really known power outages in my life so it kinda seems lame to me.... anyway thanks for the explanation.. and keep safe..

ETA:
Now I know why power outages where top of the testing list when I running a European Wide Disaster Recovery Project for a US corp.
edit on 2/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Hey WTF

I'm in central texas too, my power went off at 5:55 AM this morning and stayed off for about 30 minutes. I wasn't aware of the rolling blackouts, just thought that Bluebonnet Electric had struck again. I bet a lot of people were angry when their alarms didn't go off at 6:00 for work. What twisted person picks the times for these blackouts? Couldn't they have waited until 6:01? Lol, I panicked when I thought I wouldn't have my coffee this morning

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm in Austin right now, and after three outages this morning, I finally called the woman from whom I'm renting the house to ask what the deal was. Have never experienced rolling black outs, so I didn't even know what it was -- I just thought they were having power problems, since without electricity, you can't get on the net to see the news, lol.

She apologized, profusely, and laughed that the whole state was so poorly managing temperatures that are considered balmy where I'm from

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It seems a good launching point for politically pushing thru the carbon tax to have rolling blackouts in Texas ... it also reminds me of an Enron scam being conducted by CenterPoint Electric ....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kim0217

sort of off topic but youtube how to make your own homemade solar panels. you can make ones that power your water heater or heat your house, out of really easy to obtain/find and use, materials. also, youtube homemade air conditioner (especially homemade dorm air conditioner, which is the easiest and cheapest). there are even homemade dehumidifiers, in which you can extract free water out of the air and use to flush your toilet or water your plants, or if you have a water filter pitcher, even filter to drink or wash your dishes. don't be left without the bare essentials of life in inclement weather or during power shortages.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So far so good from near the Ellis County line.
My kerosene vendor 5 miles north had three brown-outs today, but apparently I've not been hit.
Something did knock my kerosene heater out about a gallon before it was empty, but not a timer out or flashing light in the house. Must be all that clean living.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
just found out that only selected parts are getting the outages not every one

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Cowboy's stadium in Arlington is EXEMPT from these blackouts so as not to disrupt the Super Bowl activities.

Good to know that they're willing to sacrifice the public's needs so that Jerry Jones and the NFL can continue to make money

top topics

<<   2 >>

join