It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which is better? KENDO or FENCING?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Kendo or Fencing?
The Summer Olympics are coming up soon and it seems Fencing has always been a part. It is fast...and exciting. I have never seen Kendo apart of the Olympics yet its also a martial art worth seeing. Kendo uses bamboo "swords" or Shinai while fencing uses electronic sabers, foils or eppe which are devices that tell where the hits take place. Surely, someone who refs a Kendo match could be used in the Olympics in place of electronic gear if Kendo were ever an event. Chalk could be used at the tip of the Shinai to determine where the hits were...

I have digressed a bit but my question is: Which do you think is more effective in a battle situatation? Kendo or fencing. I will take answers from those involved in either sport...and those close to these sports. Thanks, and I patiently await your answers! (Personally, I vote for Kendo..but thats just me.)

[edit on 13-7-2004 by Scoey]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think Kendo, its more than just blocking and parrying. Kendo is actually battle effective. Fencing is more for show and sport. I wouldn't be suprised if this was moved to BTS. That new rule says no more vs. style threads.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
neither is better or worse.

they have two entirely different style but they do have common bonds, discipline, practice, honor, tradition, aplicable techniques on combat.

they look different but their goals are similar.

i find these questions to be annoying, no offense.

its like asking which is better aikido or judo?

kung fu or tae kwon do?

see my point? they all have their pluses and minuses but they all have some of the same concepts in them and that makes them similar even if the techniques are not.

just depends what you like and there is no wrong answer there.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I think Kendo, its more than just blocking and parrying. Kendo is actually battle effective. Fencing is more for show and sport. I wouldn't be suprised if this was moved to BTS. That new rule says no more vs. style threads.

This is not realy the case, fencing is actually brocken down into three sports. Sabre, epee, and foil. foil is the "training" form, epee is the sport derived from the traditional duel fencing. in the same way as kendo. sabre is drive from horse combat hence the legs not being a target region. Battle effectivness is not present in any. fencing is training for a "battle" situation just as, (i believe) kendo is.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
When looking from a combat point of view(combat without firearms that is ..) fencing only rules in the case that no armour is worn by the combatants.

A fencing sword is like a big needle, can pierce trough a person rather easy.

Kendo, is better for any situation where armour is involved, both because of attack technique's alowing for attacks on weakspots and also because the power in the attacks is able to penetrate quite alot of light armour and the sheer impact power of a katana strike at full speed is sometimes enough to knock out a person if hes wearing a helmet.

I've seen it more then once in Kendo competitions that people get knocked out by a headon strike on their helmet.

new topics

top topics

join