It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yemen Leader Out, next level in the game?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Found this today, what is really going on over there?

Yemeni president vows to step down when term ends in 2013

The Yemen president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, said today he will not seek to extend his presidency when his term expires in 2013 – a move that would end his three-decade rule.

Eyeing protests that brought down Tunisia's leader and threaten to topple Egypt's president, Saleh also vowed not to pass on the reins of government to his son, but asked the opposition to postpone planned protests.

"I present these concessions in the interests of the country. The interests of the country come before our personal interests," Saleh said.

"No extension, no inheritance, no resetting the clock," he added, making reference to ruling party proposals to institute term limits that had been seen as allowing him to run again.

His remarks came a day before a rally organised by the opposition, named a "Day of Rage" and expected to be a barometer of strength of the Yemeni people's will to follow Egypt and Tunisia in demanding a change of government.

"I call on the opposition to freeze all planned protests, rallies and sit-ins," Saleh said.

Yemen, already teetering on the brink of becoming a failed state, is trying to fight a resurgent al-Qaida, cement peace with Shia rebels in the north and quell separatism in the south, all in the face of crushing poverty that has left a third of Yemenis suffering from chronic hunger.

here's the link to the whole story
www.guardian.co.uk...

here's a post I made of all the weird thing happening in that area?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a feeling this is the new Iraq, after all the US is every where al-Qaida is
edit on 2-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Here is an earlier thread with some good info, specifically that the Yemen president has been quoted many times that he will step down during his 33-year reign.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

join