It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Republican's bill would do away with driver's licenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Georgia Republican's bill would do away with driver's licenses

www.rawstory.com

A Republican in Georgia's House of Representatives has introduced a bill to eliminate driver's licenses, arguing that the documents are an unnecessary infringement on personal freedom.

Rep. Bobby Franklin, who represents the Atlanta suburb of Marietta, defended the bill to skeptical reporters on Monday, who questioned whether it would be a good idea to eliminate oversight of Georgia's drivers.

"One of your inalienable rights is the right to travel, the right to move about without needing your CBS Atlanta's Rebekka Schramm asked Franklin, “How are we going to keep up with who’s w
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Playing devils advocate here, we all now that the DMV scheme, including the LEA's part in the " funding " ( ie citations etc ), is a method to extort money from the public. Rep. Franklin does make a good point, that we are given the "right" to travel freely without " papers " unlike Russia.
Now obviously there would be yet another law enacted about the governing age requirements. But let's say we didn't have to have a license. Thus eradicating unlawful charges for the license, and maybe even eradicating the need for " registration" fees, which we ALL know is a fraud. If you've ever registered a car or truck in the last decade, you would know that the ever changing " fees" make it almost impossible to afford to begin with.
So with that, what are your thoughts? Would this be better for the users on the road? Would this across the country allow for cops to move fwd with even more hostility, and breach the rights of the public?

Curious to others thoughts on this one? May we " pretend" that if such a requirement was no longer needed, ( license requirement ) across the country......your thoughts?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This has already been posted somewhere and there is a large discussion on it.

Personally I think there has to be a way to stop people who are illegal from driving and issuing a license is one of the only ways.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LannisterGold

It's called a state id

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I hate to break it to you but LannisterGold is right and being discussed in this forum,

www.abovetopsecret.com

On topic, I don't see this happening.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Didnt see previous thread, mods please delete~

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
retinal scans for every1. hows this 1 sound? so when you go through a red light instead of them taking a picture they just scan ur retina.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LannisterGold
This has already been posted somewhere and there is a large discussion on it.

Personally I think there has to be a way to stop people who are illegal from driving and issuing a license is one of the only ways.

How absurd. Millions of people already drive illegally without a license.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The issue here isn't driver's licenses. The issue is how much the government should intrude in our lives. Some of you seem absolutely insistent that you need the government to validate and approve your every move, make sure you are competent to breathe. You are really advocating a Nanny State. And when you express anti-government sentiment you're actually wanting the government to be bigger, such as providing your health care for you because you think health care is a right that ought to be provided to you by government.

You need a birth certificate so the government can acknowledge you are alive.
You need a marriage license so the government can ensure you are properly married.
You need a death certificate so the government can agree that you are actually dead, not that you care, but your survivors do.
Meanwhile you need license after license so that the government can acknowledge and approve that you have certain skills needed to live your life. Excuse me, but you are saying the GOVERNMENT is supposed to ensure you have requisite skills?? The "I''m from the government and I'm here to help" government?? I'm sorry, but that does not convince me I am well protected.

The real issue here is do we need government to do all these things for us, or can we do them ourselves? One of the objections here, for example, is "Would you get into a taxi cab with someone who didn't have a driver's license. How horrible!." Private industry has a way of filling those kinds of holes. So Yellow Cab advertises, "All our drivers are graduates of the Yellow Cab Driving School." and right in the cab is their certificate of graduation. Are you still so frightened? It's the same with an airline. Do you think Alaska Airlines is going to allow a pilot to fly one of their 737s without proper instruction? Bear in mind that they are liable. Of course not. Now, who do you trust to provide a better education, Alaska Airlines or the government?

We can go on and on with examples, but the basic idea is that we can take care of ourselves better than the government can take care of us. That's what the Tenth Amendment is all about: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." State constitutions, by and large, are even more restrictive. In other wordss, if the constitution does not specifically enumerate a power to government, it isn't there.

For those of you who feel the government is responsible for you from cradle to grave I feel sorry for you. I don't know that you have ever really lived or tasted freedom.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Thats what Im saying, the constant intrusion and infringement on my rights has struck a particular chord. And, I for one, am not the type to sit idly buy~ Like I keep saying, I'm waiting......for the revolution.

new topics

top topics

join