It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Eruption Rocks the Sun: Scientists Re-Evaluate Ideas About Solar Storms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

On August 1, 2010, an entire hemisphere of the sun erupted. Filaments of magnetism snapped and exploded, shock waves raced across the stellar surface, billion-ton clouds of hot gas billowed into space. Astronomers knew they had witnessed something big. It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity.
"The August 1st event really opened our eyes," says Karel Schrijver of Lockheed Martin's Solar and Astrophysics Lab in Palo Alto, CA. "We see that solar storms can be global events, playing out on scales we scarcely imagined before."

Nasa

I do not know if this has been covered here before,just came across this article actually on science daily dated for January 28th,2011,it was a reprint.
Sciencedaily article:link

I hope some may not of been aware of this this article yet.
I found it quite intriguing and of interest.
Look forward to everyone's responses and opinions.

Considering the condition of our Earth presently with weather,predictions running amok,future solar flare activity,volcanoes,shifts and earthquakes I believe this is all very relevant and of the utmost importance we take notice of the changes & events taking place now and further down the line.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Locations of key events are labeled in this extreme ultraviolet image of the sun, obtained by the Solar Dynamics Observatory during the Great Eruption of August 1st. White lines trace the sun's magnetic field. Credit: K Schrijver & A. Title-

new topics

join