It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What one motivated Gurkha and his Kukri knife can do.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I never personally worked with any Gurkha's, but I've heard that they are the highest rated warriors in the world; based on there exploits. A Gurkha, armed with a Kukri, can decapitate a human head with one fell swoop with his knife.

Erno

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

Originally posted by simples

just for peoples general knowledge the Kukri isnt a weapon it is actually used for cooking or at least that is its main purpose.

And this is what the Australian soldiers get instead of a Kukri.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57cef68372b4.jpg[/atsimg]
F.R.E.D - A small device which is a combination of a can opener, a bottle opener and a spoon. Officially named a "Field Ration Eating Device", but more popularly known as a "F--king Ridiculous/Retarded Eating Device". In the Air Force this acronym can also denote a 'F--king Ridiculous Electronic Device'.

Appendix:Australian English military slang

Well we used to always call them F**ing Rediculous Eating Device, but hey, the Q-Store come up with a lot of stupid names, the iconic Slouch Hat, is Hats Felt Fur.

I have to admit, even though we got a FRED every ration pack & threw dozens out, I still have a few laying around, they even fit in a wallet if your desperate. They are a handy thing to have in your camping/survival kit, so long as you know how to use it properly.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Extreme Pilgrim

You're jealous.

I've met some Gurkhas,and they really are the nicest people you could talk to.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have used many types of knifes in my life and I have to say that the kukri is one of the most destructive and deadly hand-held weapons that you can use. It's probably my top choice for a hand-to-hand weapon.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ericthedoubter
reply to post by Extreme Pilgrim

You're jealous.

I've met some Gurkhas,and they really are the nicest people you could talk to.

Jealous? No. I have trained a number of Gurkhas in the past and have that experience to draw upon. Gurkhas, and Nepalese people in general, are a welcoming and hospitable nation but this does not necessarily equate to them being good soldiers. I have seen them up close in a number of theatres, including their supposedly favoured environment of the jungle and have not seen anything which leads me to feel that they merit any special mention. They are average at best and as a barometer of their standing, only 2 Gurkhas have EVER passed UKSF training. A feat that has been surpassed by every other regiment and unit, including the RAF.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
I never personally worked with any Gurkha's, but I've heard that they are the highest rated warriors in the world; based on there exploits. A Gurkha, armed with a Kukri, can decapitate a human head with one fell swoop with his knife.

Erno

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are not. I think that it is fair to say, and not wanting to get into a "my dads bigger than your dad" contest, that infantry units that are held in the highest regard are the British SFSG/Parachute Regiment/Royal Marine's Commando's and the US Army Ranger's.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
oh my goodness, i wish that i had the skills to be able to man up to a situation like that. i thought train robberies died off with the John Wayne movies haha

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The Gurkhas are the best soldiers in the world imo and i'm proud to have them serving in the British Army..........shame they aren't treated better though.

Well done to Bishnu Shrestha.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
What a great thread. I have a kukri on the wall. My grandad used to sharpen it every week from the time he came back from Burma to the time he died.

My fave Gurkha story was my father in laws. He told me how 22nd reg. Was training with them in Belize. One morning, the 22 lads woke up covered in spots. The Gurkhas had snuck in during the night and painted every single one of them.

Great fighters too, by all accounts.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join