It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Michigan schools - Daggers okay but cupcakes banned.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The kids who belong to the Sikh faith can bring their little daggers, but not cupcakes.
Supposedly the daggers aren't dangerous but the cupcakes are.
Sure the daggers are dull and small, but they can do a heck of a lot of damage.
But according to Michigan ... the cupcakes are more dangerous.

Some Michigan Schools Permit ‘Religious’ Knives, Yet Cupcakes Are Still Banned

Tolerance of different faiths is a vital part of the foundation of American freedom. We do not have a national religion and thus, allow virtually all religions to exist side by side. But we also have reasonable limits on how people worship, meaning that one religion cannot claim exemption when their practices infringe or threaten the rights of others. Such is the argument in Michigan where students who follow the Sikh faith have been granted permission to carry into schools the small dagger known as the Kirpan.

Sikh Faith Members Want Religious Swords in Canton Schools

Michigan schools are banning cupcakes?

Plymouth-Canton school district allows ceremonial daggers

edit on 2/2/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I would honestly and have honestly made a Constitutional argument about this before not that that particular document hasn't been wiped all over Washington and the states asses but still I go by it so that is what counts.

If you get the right lawyer and judge and the media on your side you can still do a lot with the Constitutional arguments. I would say that the separation of church and state needs to go all around not just be extended to everyone else's religions.

In God We Trust is still printed on the friggin money and there would be an uproar if they tried to take it off.

I am no longer a Christian but was raised Southern Baptist so I do know what I am talking about here. You can bring a dull dagger to school for religious purposes but Christians nationwide cannot been seen praying or bring a bible into class or even in some cases say the pledge of allegiance because it offends the other religions?????

Hypocrites as usual they are giving everyone else free reign and accommodations above and beyond their own people. What a bunch of B.S.
edit on 2-2-2011 by DragonSpirit2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-2-2011 by DragonSpirit2 because: typos and grammatical errors

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I know I didn't mention the cupcakes but it's just so stupid there's nothing really to say about it......They are motards.....LOL if you don't know what that is just ask me and I'll explain

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
What? Enlighten me
because I don't want to be ignorant. Are they referring to athames?
You know, the first time I claimed to be an anarchist, I was kinda kidding. NO government would be better than the clowns we've got.

to Dragon...okay, I'll bite (nyuk nyuk nyuk) Yes, please
edit on 2-2-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: didn't want to make a separate post

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
Are they referring to athames?

No. I don't think so. These have a different name and they are dull little curled knives that the kiddies of that religion wear on their belts. It's supposed to be just ceremonial and 'harmless' ... but considering that the schools see butter knives as dangerous, these should be in that same category.

There's no reason for the kids to have these at school. Religious reasons or not.

And for the cupcakes to be banned .. but the knifes not?

Everything on this planet is backwards ... it's all bizzare.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Everything on this planet is backwards ... it's all bizzare.

There is a line in a Jimmy Buffett/Grateful Dead song, "The sky was yellow and the sun was blue." I think it describes our current state of affairs pretty well.

I've become numb and speechless to the insanity that we call government and administration, and it is pervasive at every level, from local school boards to U.S. Senators. From local weathermen to $20M Network anchors!

I wish I had something intelligent to say, or some solution, or some explanation, but I don't. Just mass insanity.
edit on 2-2-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well, that is just dumb. Are they trying to fight childhood obesity?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I suspect that K-12 schools will let the Christian students wear and display such items as a crucifix or Jesus/Fish symbol, or WWJD bracelet. Some dress codes prohibit T-Shirts with slogans, religious or otherwise. I don' think the principal goes searching for bibles in student lockers and I bet they have a bible or two in the school library. Most colleges have religious clubs and a chapel to worship in.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Someone I know told me that their school is now banning anything homemade........cupcakes, cookies, etc.

If you want to bring a treat for your child's birthday, it must be bought from a store.

When I asked why, they said they were told it was because of children with peanut allergies. You know, you might have put your cupcake papers on the counter where you made your child's peanut butter sandwich!

Well, the next time I was at the store, I looked at the labels on a pack of store-bakery made cupcakes, and store-bakery made cookies, and the labels on both said "made in a facility that may have used peanuts or other nuts".......

As far as the knife vs ceremonial dagger issue....it's all actually kind of the same as the sweet treat issue which is nothing more than a CONTROL issue. Heck, kids all across the country have been traumatized for bringing plastic knives, fingernail clippers, drawing pictures, writing stories, etc.

When I was in school, it was not unusual for kids to bring pocketknives, sharp kitchen knives, for peeling or cutting fruit, etc. to school.

During that time, the only way you could get in trouble was if your pocket knife was too big, over 6 inches I think, or what they called a butterfly knife (switchblade), or maybe by your mom if you forgot to bring your kitchen knife home, lol.

The only thing the school officials would do, would be to take it away (prohibited styles of pocket knives, not kitchen knives), unless you were threatening someone. Usually, they would give it back after a while and tell you not to bring it back, if it was a type that was prohibited.

Anyone going to those schools that is of any particular faith should make sure to wear their religious symbols "loud and proud", and others should bring one of those camping mess kits, with the knife/fork/spoon to eat their cupcakes with, lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

When I was in school, it was not unusual for kids to bring pocketknives, sharp kitchen knives, for peeling or cutting fruit, etc. to school.

When I was in school it was not unusual to have a rifle in a rack in your truck in the school parking lot!

top topics

join