It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars 500 Simulator arrives in orbit around the red planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I hope these guys are getting well paid for this simulation

Mars 500 mission (BBC news)

peace

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Wow I cant believe the time has gone past so quickly, however I think the hardest part of their trip will be the return trip as then its just a waiting game to get home

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluedrake
Wow I cant believe the time has gone past so quickly, however I think the hardest part of their trip will be the return trip as then its just a waiting game to get home

Like the trip "there" wasn't just a waiting game to don the fake spacesuit.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

C'mon Buddha, Deny Ignorance.

This experiment is done in the name of science.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

C'mon Buddha, Deny Ignorance. This experiment is done in the name of science.

OK, I'll try. The Russians already have numerous records as far as duration of space flight is concerned, in confined space and various REAL emergencies (not simulated), which in part included:
-- a punctured wall of the station with pressure rapidly falling
-- a real fire in the oxygen generator

To simulate all that in a dorm near Moscow, all over again, is a waste of money.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

They should have hired you, it would have saved them money.

What else would you say to dissuade people from doing such an experiment?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

They should have hired you, it would have saved them money.

They don't need me, they are quite happy to get the grant money and get paid for like 2 years. Can't really blame them.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Why are you being so critical? It's an experiment to see the effects of isolation and the crews ability to react to different emergencies during this isolation.

You've got to remember that the human being is a social being. Prolonged isolation tends to play mind games on people and this research hopefully will find ways to deal with these psychological problems when the real mission is taking place.

Besides. This is a major milestone in space exploration research. Star and flag to the OP.

edit on 2/2/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Why are you being so critical? It's an experiment to see the effects of isolation and the crews ability to react to different emergencies during this isolation.

It's been done already, experiment failed, i remind you.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

You've got to remember that the human being is a social being. Prolonged isolation tends to play mind games on people and this research hopefully will find ways to deal with these psychological problems when the real mission is taking place.

I do remember that the human being is a social being, thank you. My father-in-law served on a nuclear sub and spent many months at a time, submerged. They had emergencies, too. Heck, the now ancient Triton was the first sub to circumnavigate the globe and it's really, really old news. Between that and what the Soviets/Russians did in space with their lengthy expeditions, I just don't see a pressing need for this exercise.

All I'm saying there are better way to spend $$$ on research, at this juncture.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

i don't know why the experiment is so long, it only takes a couple of hours to get to the arizona desert a play astronaut

new topics

top topics

join