It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

society is an illusion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
sadly but truley were all living a lie. we all think that were living in our own society but the truth is that it really dosn't exist. lets start off with the government. since childhood we are conditioned to believe that there is some sort of government that rules our lives, the truth is the exact opisite. the truth is the government soley exists within our own minds and nothing else. lets take the president for instance. we view the president as a man with some sort of power over us, but the truth is he is just another human being just like the rest of us. the only reason he has any power over us is because we collectivley believe he has some sort of power over us. same thing goes with any other athority figure. they dont have any real power, just the power we are lead to believe they have. as long as we collectivley believe that they have some sort of power over us, they will have power. but what if we all suddenly collectivley believe that they have no power over us. they would suddenly be royaly #ed and would be running for thier sad little lives.

the same thing goes with the economy. a dolor bill has no real value, its just a piece of paper. same thing goes for gold, silver, diomonds and whatnot. there just #ing rocks. what about your bank account? its just digital data stored on some computer somewhere. the truth is your wealth is all an illusion and your just as poor as your typical bum. the only reason you have any wealth is because our economic system tells you that you have wealth. what about your personal property? sadly you really dont own your material possesions, you just have them in a secure enviroment that keeps them safe from other people trying to take your property away from you.

now i keep hearing on this board that the new world order is coming and that there gona enslave all of mankind. so how do we stop this from happening. all it really takes to stop them is not listen to what they tell you and not believing in the new world order. its pretty simple when you think about it.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Very neat !

May I ask why you think this way ? Are these your own thoughts, or something you read elswhere?

I'd like to hear more

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutehalo
we all think that were living in our own society but the truth is that it really dosn't exist

Speak for yourself.

they dont have any real power, just the power we are lead to believe they have

What is real power? What power could be more real than what you just described?

a dolor bill has no real value, its just a piece of paper. same thing goes for gold, silver, diomonds and whatnot. there just #ing rocks. what about your bank account? its just digital data stored on some computer somewhere.

What is real value? Would you prefer the system of barter? Money has value because people perceive that it does. What is money?

sadly you really dont own your material possesions, you just have them in a secure enviroment that keeps them safe from other people trying to take your property away from you.

What is a material possession? What would constitute real ownership?

[edit on 13-7-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Very neat !

May I ask why you think this way ? Are these your own thoughts, or something you read elswhere?

I'd like to hear more

these are my own personal thoughts. i ultimately dont trust in all the information that is available to us so as a result i ultimately form my own ideas on stuff. theres plenty more ideas of this nature that i'll probally post at a later time.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Great post.

I agree with you, the only only power the Government have over us, is our collective apathy.

They don't rule us, we think we are ruled by them, and thus they are allowed to.

If everyone got together tomorrow and decided not to live by the Government's laws and rules - it would be over for them.

So much of society is an illusion, sickeningly and laughably so.

Look at insurance - home insurance, life insurance, car insurance. It's one of the biggest scams ever - it's compulsory to have car insurance in the UK. So everyone who drives must pay an insurance company an annual premium, *just in case* anything happens to the car - if nothing happens, do we get our money back? Do we fluff!! We have to pay again for another year

Exchange rates and inflation, interest, it's ALL a big scam to fleece us.

Conditioned from birth to grave.

We're the lucky ones, at least we can see it.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
i like thre first post.

power is a concept, an illusion we are taught to believe in.

i think he's more or less correct in what he's saying. a lot of what we live with everyday is an illusion.

noone has power unless you let thewm have it. as it is jsut an illusion.

the president is jsut a person doing a job. he has the power to do thigns but that doesnt mean he has power over me personally. but any power that a person has is a perception, an illusion, nothing more.

heir the fact this person made you ask that many questions tells me something. what he said made you think. i think that was his intent and he did it well.

i like this thread so far. i'll being watching it and see where it goes.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think "illusion" isn't quite the right word.

I know what you mean, but maybe a better term is "mutually held understanding". We can only interpret the world based on what we know, and we learn about the world either through observation or by learning other peoples "understanding" of how the world works.

Plenty of world-views are out there to choose from, or you can figure out you're own. If someone believes they have a better or more valid world view, then it is in their power to share this with others. It's then up to the others whether they take the same view.

Everyone has the power to change things. it just depends how much trouble we want to go to.We can type on message boards, trying to get a couple of people round to our view. We could start a lobbying organization. We could write a book. Maybe if we're really really keen we could become full time politicians, writers or spiritual figures. At that level you will be in discourse with all the other people who also want to change the world. If you can convince them to your point of view, you're well on the way to succeeding. All you need to do then is convince a majority of the electorate, and you will be there!!

So basically, you, me and everyone else has the power, if we are prepared to back it with our own sweat, blood and tears.

It's not easy; changing the world or millions of people's world view isn't meant to be easy...... but think of the chaos if it were?

[edit on 13-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
They don't rule us, we think we are ruled by them, and thus they are allowed to.

What's the difference?

If everyone got together tomorrow and decided not to live by the Government's laws and rules - it would be over for them.

Agreed. If an asteroid hit Earth tomorrow it would also be over for them.

So everyone who drives must pay an insurance company an annual premium, *just in case* anything happens to the car - if nothing happens, do we get our money back? Do we fluff!! We have to pay again for another year

Why would you get your money back if nothing happened? The insurance company is selling you insurance -- in case anything goes wrong, they'll take care of none, part, or all of the expense. If they gave you your money back when nothing happened, they'd also be charging you much more if something did happened. It would all even out (except that no-one would be able to afford insurance in the second case...)

Exchange rates and inflation, interest, it's ALL a big scam to fleece us.

How???

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
power is a concept, an illusion we are taught to believe in.

As opposed to what? What is this supposed illusion that everyone is falling for? How does it differ from what real power is? What is real power? Can anyone provide an example or is that really the hallucination?

heir the fact this person made you ask that many questions tells me something.

Does it? I could have just as easily ignored the thread. My questions point out the deficiencies and/or vagueness in the original poster's claims.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Real power is realising that you are a creator, and that everything that happens to you is a product of your conscious and unconscious thoughts, and what you consciously or unconsciously focus your attention on.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Real power is realising that you are a creator, and that everything that happens to you is a product of your conscious and unconscious thoughts, and what you consciously or unconsciously focus your attention on.

• That's a subjective, though not invalid, definition of "real power".
  • Everything that happens to a person is a product of the things you mentioned and other things (i.e. other people's actions, the environment, ...)
  • In terms of history, this definition of power hasn't really had much influence in the world. It seems to be more of a statement of what society should be like (in the opinion of some)
  • How is this form of power more real than the kinds previously mentioned? It seems to me to be less real, because it has less effect in practice. Whether it is a more suitable form of power to some is a different question -- but if it's attraction comes from that suitability of the concept, then it seems more conceptual than real.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think in much the same way. There is no such thing as Authority (Physiologically) to me. Hierarchys mean nothing as the top man is treated the same as the bottom man, with respect.

If the Queen came to my house she wouldn't receive a head down bow. If a paramedic who saves lives every week doesn't get a bow the Queen sure as hell won't.

Society thinks if he is higher up the chart he has power over me. no one has power over you. They use our brain against us most of the time, and it works.

I think true power is knowing you don't need it. The end of the day all we really have to call our own is our soul/spirit.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 7th_Chakra
The end of the day all we really have to call our own is our soul/spirit.

The power hungry even try to own that part of us.
Religion is an outside expression imposed upon us using fear for something that is most definately, in my experience, deep inside us all.
Maybe our soul is not our own, but belongs to us all - one shared soul.
Infinite love.

For example, close your eyes now and try to find out how big your 'conscience' is in terms of physical size.
I don't know myself, I can't tell because there is no reference point, besides, it's too dark in there

~mutehalo

There's nothing sad about it, we only live the lie if we believe the lie.
Maybe the grip is tightening because they feel it slipping away, as we all approach a new era of understanding.

fingers crossed

[edit on 13-7-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I think the basic concept is generally correct, I think muppet may have a slightly better handle on it. It is shared ideas, methods of thinking throught and about things. The best analogy i can think of is software. We may or may not have algorithms we share or the same program or the same operating system. A shared protocol is useful for communicating (rules of polite manners), shared operating systems (frame of reference) allow for using the same software.

A creative thinking individual will utilize these things, but will reserve a larger portion of there thinking capabilities for free-ranging thinking that runs outside of these codified thinking methods.

When people are busy and hurried it is convenient and sensible to use this 'programmed'/pre-organized thinking. It does not make sense to be pondering the universe while driving 60mph on the freeway, you should pay attention to the 'rules of the road'.

Our thought processes are more complex and organic than computers, but I think much of this analogy applies.

Just because software (thought methods) are very ephemeral doesn't mean they aren't 'real'. They just aren't very tangible. Intelligent people probably try to keep societally necessitated behaviors from those which are biolgical necessities.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau once wrote: "Man is born free, yet everywhere he is in chains." He would probably have agreed with most of this thread.

I think the real question is: how much individual sovereignty are we prepared to sacrifice in order to live in a "society". This is the basis of the so-called "Social Contract", which has removed us from the "state of nature", and has, at least theoretically, "civilized" us. Before society, when our ancestors lived in what Rousseau called the state of nature, anarchy was the only law. Men soon found it convenient to organize together for the common good, and the first rude societies were founded by Neanderthal brutes.
Eventually, corruption set in, with the powerful claiming to rule by "divine right", using this as an excuse for their tyranny. But the Enlightenment fostered the notion that all power belongs with the people, who elect and dismiss representatives. This seems to me the best way; if anyone has any better ideas, I'm more than willing to listen.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
when we discuss the value of money I always like to include for people to read "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hey! What is society, why there is society with money, power, government and all that kinda of crap. Why do we HAVE TO work, make money and consume? Money is the worst thing that ever existed. And money does'nt even exist! It's all virtual in bank accounts

I'm like totally confused when it comes to the ''system''...I feel we are Slaves working for a big industrie that is ''society'' and the leaders try to tell us what is good, what is bad...the created -religions, sickness, drugs, materialism, junk food, violence, pollution etc.......just to have control and make more money with humans. We think we live in free countries in North America or modern countries, but we are NOT.

People around me that are older say that I'm a bit paranoid with that. But I don't think so. It's worst than ever! What can WE DO ABOUT IT???? Nothing!!! I wanna start a big revolution but ''no way'' everyone around me are too much in their material bubble...Who will WAKE UP???? I'm just a normal 24 years old, people think I'm naive....When we complain about society they say '' that's life! You have to deal with it'' I don't want to!!!! I want to be FREE from the damn SYSTEM.

What do you think??? Is it the same thing over and over again, like in the hippies time, when people became revoluted against everything?!

Tell me I'm not crazy please

Love Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You're not crazy...
You're probably more sane than the rest of society.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have my doubts about the SYSTEM to, but how are we supposed to advance as a civilisation/species without a system?

Doesn't material wealth encourage technological advancement?

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Quote: "society is an illusion!

Sadly but truley were all living a lie. we all think that were living in our own society but the truth is that it really dosn't exist. lets start off with the government. since childhood we are conditioned to believe that there is some sort of government that rules our lives, the truth is the exact opisite. the truth is the government soley exists within our own minds and nothing else. lets take the president for instance. we view the president as a man with some sort of power over us, but the truth is he is just another human being just like the rest of us. the only reason he has any power over us is because we collectivley believe he has some sort of power over us. same thing goes with any other athority figure. they dont have any real power, just the power we are lead to believe they have. as long as we collectivley believe that they have some sort of power over us, they will have power. but what if we all suddenly collectivley believe that they have no power over us."

VERY GOOD MuteHalo! I recently had a Very Strong Revelation of this very same Truth! That is why FEAR (like you know the "Terrorists" or the "BoogieMan" is going to get you) is needed - but if you decide to Destroy the Fear that they try to place in you then the
ILLUSION CRUMBLES!!!

I learned after 9/11 that the so- called "Government" really doesn't give a crap about the well being of its Citizens - But I mean hey - they are only human. They have the Same Weaknesses that we all have. I have a simple solution to this problem - Take Responsibility for you OWN LIFE & Well Being!!! Don't look for the Government to take care of everything!!! Don't mistreat others out of FEAR of an Invisible "God" or an Invisible "Government" - but out of common Decency & Civilization. Treat others as you would like others to treat you!

[edit on 25-9-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 28-9-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 28-9-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutehalo
sadly but truley were all living a lie. we all think that were living in our own society but the truth is that it really dosn't exist. lets start off with the government. since childhood we are conditioned to believe that there is some sort of government that rules our lives, the truth is the exact opisite. the truth is the government soley exists within our own minds and nothing else. lets take the president for instance. we view the president as a man with some sort of power over us, but the truth is he is just another human being just like the rest of us. the only reason he has any power over us is because we collectivley believe he has some sort of power over us. same thing goes with any other athority figure. they dont have any real power, just the power we are lead to believe they have. as long as we collectivley believe that they have some sort of power over us, they will have power. but what if we all suddenly collectivley believe that they have no power over us. they would suddenly be royaly #ed and would be running for thier sad little lives.

the same thing goes with the economy. a dolor bill has no real value, its just a piece of paper. same thing goes for gold, silver, diomonds and whatnot. there just #ing rocks. what about your bank account? its just digital data stored on some computer somewhere. the truth is your wealth is all an illusion and your just as poor as your typical bum. the only reason you have any wealth is because our economic system tells you that you have wealth. what about your personal property? sadly you really dont own your material possesions, you just have them in a secure enviroment that keeps them safe from other people trying to take your property away from you.

now i keep hearing on this board that the new world order is coming and that there gona enslave all of mankind. so how do we stop this from happening. all it really takes to stop them is not listen to what they tell you and not believing in the new world order. its pretty simple when you think about it.

Some of us realize this easier and faster when we deliberately disobey them, due to drugs or alcohol whatever, You feel the same way about police officers... They're just people like me, so whytf? should they be telling me or anyone else how to live?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join