It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thundersnow...A Rising Phenomenon?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

Add Maryland to the list! Your right...the rare is becoming less rare...or so it seems. We'll have to see if this trend keeps up.

reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Great story and experience. Thanks for sharing. I bet that thunder was really something in the mountains.

Rare but memorable...these thundersnows.

edit on 2/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by 1088no5

That's exactly what color it was here too...a light pink lavender. Not just the lightning but the whole sky. There are apparently four kinds of formations and lake effect and ocean effect is one of them. the other three kinds seem more rare. One of the others is similar to the conditions that form normal thunderstorms and tornadoes. Thanks for reading.

edit on 2/2/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

You are correct. My bad. I must say... that this is quite an informative thread... and I am enjoying it immensely. Lucidity makes a wonderful thread host. Thumbs up, Lucidity.
This is a wonderful thread.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 1088no5

Ha...thanks. No bad here. They really don't seem to know a lot about this phenomenon, so it was a guess on my part from what I'd read that it might be lake or ocean effects. Nothing to say the other three kinds of formations might not also happen there.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yet to have finished reading the thread, but wanted to add that I just now had witnessed some thunder snow.
Odd that I noticed this thread recently and now I experience it for the first time. I cannot recall this happening to my area (Rhode Island) before.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
So I am experiencing tons of lightning and thunder right now as well as snow. I am in northern vermont

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
i too am in vermont and its been thundering and lightening like crazy here just like a summer time storm. i am in Central vermont and its constant flashing and is Pouring freezing rain and sleet.. i have never seen lighting here in winter before. the brightness is Intense reflecting off the white snow.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Jaso1099 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaso1099

Wow. Too weird after we just talked about that in chat!
reply to post by vermonster

It's sort of odd to experience that, isn't it? How long did it last?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yeah, very weird, talk about syncronicity!

It started around 8:30pm and lasted until just before 11pm.

Flash after flash, thunder thunder thunder......while it was snowing....

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Ours lasted about an hour (that I noticed at least).

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

That's a good bit of time. Someone said the ones in NYC a few weeks ago lasted hours.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Growing up in the Northwest, there was always thunder snow storms in the late fall and sometimes late winters. It isn't really a growing phenomena but it is really cool bit of nature.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Good to know. I don't think we've heard from many in the northwest. This is a pretty new thing to a lot of areas though, and it does seem to be increasing in frequency. All we can do is wait and see if it's a temporary glitch in the matrix or here to stay for a while.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
We had some thunder snow roll through here in N. Indiana a few years ago. It had been snowing for awhile and I heard what sounded like thunder. Dismissed it then heard it again. I went to a window and after a few minutes saw a flash of lightning followed by thunder. I went downstairs to tell my wife and she thought I was crazy until I took her to the back window and she saw it for herself. I just laughed and said "It's thunder snow" without ever having heard the term before. It was a very neat experience.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Graybeard

It is neat. We may get to experience it again here in Atlanta tonight. Hope so. I'm off to the store for milk and bread

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Thundersnow: Ultimate Storm Recorded by NASA

Atmospheric physicist Kevin Knupp, with the University of Alabama in Huntsville, suspects that gravity waves, which are up and down ripples in the atmosphere somewhat like waves on a beach, are the invisible hands behind thundersnow, interacting with supercold water so that electric charges can build up, leading to lightning.

NASA's been very interested in thundersnow since they were fortunate enough to be in Huntsville during one of the rare occurrences. Happy coincidence.

A rare thundersnow event was recorded by NASA instruments, showing lightning traveled for 50 miles in low clouds.

That's a long way for lightning to travel!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's a February 24, 2011, followup report from NASA on the Huntsville doings covered in the OP. The Mysterious Rumble of Thundersnow:

It's no coincidence that the thundersnow was accompanied by massive roller coasters of air known as gravity waves. These waves are similar to waves in the ocean, but roll through the air instead of water.

"There was a nearly constant, uniform progression of gravity waves, starting at Monte Sano, a small mountain a few miles east of us, and moving westward, right over our building," says Knupp, who spent most of the storm's duration with his eyes riveted on instrument displays inside the team's mobile X-band radar van. "An easterly flow of air on the other side of the mountain ridge bumped into and was pushed over Monte Sano, forming 11 separate waves, about one per hour."

He believes the clockwork up and down motion of the waves created variations in the updrafts responsible for the heavy snow, leading to the charge separation that generated lightning. Unfortunately, he was knee-deep in computer displays instead of snow when the storm's most impressive lightning bolt set the sky aglow.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Lucidity excellent info,has anyone seen beetleguise lately,just somebody told me it looked odd was small and is suddenly became larger,I can`t see it,just thought that the waves ,you know !

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
What an awesome thread! You shure put a lot of work into it OP. I heard my first thundersnow thunder the other night in Southwestern Ontario.

Something odd that I've noticed this winter is the texture of the snow. Twice now, during the last two "thundersnow" storms (I'll have to look up the dates), the snow was grainy and heavy. It felt like I was shovelling sand. I've had to shovel a lot of different types of snow: heavy and wet, frozen and crusty, and my favourite light and fluffy, but never sandy. I wonder if it might have something to do with the GOM though I don't belive those storms came from that direction.

Something else odd was altough the storms were coming up from the Southwest, the actual snow and wind were coming from the Northeast direction. Can't figure that one out.

Has anyone else noticed the snow feeling different during these storms?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jest3r

Yes. Commented with a neighbor - and we remembered that the Inuit have maybe 30 different names for snow, to distinguish the various kinds, textures etc.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Now that it is mentioned, I too noticed the grainy snow during that time period.
It only lasted the day as it all became a layer of ice that I literally had to chip away the entire driveway with a sharp spade. It was hell clearing that ice.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join