It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I am a skeptic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I have been a member on this site for awhile. For the first few years, I would merely educate myself and not actively participate in any forum discussions. I was extremely open-minded, and took everything someone claimed on here with a grain of salt.

This is my first post. I am 22, recent college grad, business owner, freemason, and employed for Merrill lynch on wall street. I always considered myself a serious person, however was very intrigued with conspiracy topics. However, lately, I have decided to move from being an advocate to a skeptic and here's why:

9.9/10 claims of any paranormal/alien/etc claims on this site are lacking all forms of viable evidence. If the evidence was good, it would be all over the news. Those guys eat that # up.

9.9/10 times the sources cited for claims are from news websites that have close to 0 credibility. Send me a link to a reputable news source, and maybe we can talk.

Half the people on this site should be diagnosed paranoid schizophrenics. Sorry, but I have a friend who's older brother is a schizo and half you people write exactly like he talks, no offense.

9.9/10 times a UFO siting, abduction, paranormal event, etc. occurs, it's reported by some hillbilly/uneducated/white trash/acid tripping individual. Cmon people, reptilian news reporters? Cmon, quit watching V.

Now, for the people out there who actually present viable evidence that promotes actual intellectual discussion, bravo to you. You know who you are. I am not say every single post on this site is pointless, otherwise I wouldn't even waste my time here. Just about 99% of them. I am a skeptic bc over all these years, I have researched just about everything from alien underground highway systems (ha) to shapeshifting news reports who have an agenda to disinfo the public on their real agenda. Sorry people, but I feel like this is just getting out of hand.

The world will not end in 2012, there is no rogue planet, the YouTube UFO abductions and alien sitings are fakes (people just want to make money off YouTube videos which is easy to do with a lot of hits), and for some reason aliens only seem to abduct non-credible sources.

I am an optimist, a realist, and a very successful and happy person who enjoys reading posts on this site just as much as playing golf (eh I take that back). However, I'm sick of reading crap where I get 2 sentences into a thread and can come to the simple conclusion that it's either BS or the guy/girl writing it is nuts. Lets keep ATS classy guys.

Oh, and hello everyone! Look for me to discredit your post in the near future...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
You did not have a post yet
so i thought i would drop by
drop you a flag and star and
comment, skepticism is a
healthy thing , but expressing
it in a mean belittling way is not
and the comment at the end , look
forward to me discrediting your
threads in the future, i liked that
shows confidence , and gender not
related here but it reminds me of the
x-files, with skully, she was a skeptic
that ended up a believer, anyway
have a good night.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I get 2 sentences into a thread

Maybe this is why it is so easy for you to be a skeptic. Try reading the whole thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I've got an uncle who is a paranoid schizophrenic, and I've yet to find anybody on this site who talks like him. Unmedicated paranoid schizophrenics usually seem to get their theories from nowhere, whereas I usually see people here getting information and ideas from sources (however unreliable and misguided those sources may be at times).

Also, I just thought I'd give you a heads up by telling you that you might have to tone down your usual approach so that you don't get pinged every five minutes for decorum violations. Your post comes off in such a way that you appear to be quite a bit more abrasive and matter-of-fact than the norm.
edit on 1-2-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Don't blame ye at all. But before ye say there aren't any UFOs and such and nothings gon happen in the next two years, go out and see things fer yerself. Ive become sick of listening to all the internet has to offer and decided to go and look for myself, since I'm the only one I can [personally] fully trust. I will not say I know all about everything happening right now, but I have come to some experiences which have proven to me beyond a doubt that interesting things are happening, some people with plenty of influence don't want alot of this info out n about and the next few years are gon be plenty interesting. Where there are lies, there is usually a bit of truth. Nothing comes from nothing. Believing is half the ordeal, because everything is all in our heads [though its a bit more complicated than that, or else I'd be completely insane].
Ever persisted to do something you believed in despite absolutely everyone telling you its beyond possibility, that there is no hope and it cannot be achieved? I have, and its the best feeling ever once you achieve. Dare to believe and achieve
though the believing part is a little difficult to overrun

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daleomaleo

I thought this section is called (Gray Area) "Personal Stories"

I don't know but I could be reading it wrong but is this are pertaining to Grey Aliens and abductions ?

I took the section titling to mean like "things are in the gray"

because if it wasn't so then why isn't there a "green" area or a "blue" alien area ect ?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Thanks guys. I will try harder to fully do my research and actually read every thread from now on. Everyone who has posted on this thread so far seems like the kind of people I would enjoy discussing with. As a skeptic, I will try to merely promote a discussion, however, remain unhostile. It will never be my intention to make fun of an idea or post, but to merely throw a view from the opposite side. Hope to talk with you all soon in the future.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I could make the same comment about certain holy book that many people believe:
The best way to stop believe in conspiracies is to read them lol
edit on 2/2/11 by blackcube because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join