It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster cyclone knocks out weather radar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Monster cyclone knocks out weather radar

www.abc.net.au

Category five Cyclone Yasi has knocked out the weather bureau's radar system on Willis Island, about 450 kilometres east of Cairns in far north Queensland.

The weather bureau's radar and wind speed measurements on the island failed just before 9am (AEST).

The bureau says the maximum wind speed recorded before the equipment went down was 185 kilometres per hour.

Three weather observers and a technician left the island yesterday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I heard this weather station was the main "eyes" for the bureau up north and with it now gone they are blind. They can only rely on satellite images!! I really hope that is not correct.

I am so glad the crew got out yesterday. Here is a time lapse of what we can expect:

I grew up with cyclones in Queensland and I can tell you I have NEVER seen one this big! Again, it is the prophicy!

:0

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
the prophecy? what prophecy states qld will be cycloned off the face of the earth?

thanks in advance
edit on 1-2-2011 by okamitengu because: cant spell prophecy

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here's the nearest radar:

Link

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
They're now reporting up to 300k gusts WOW! God help them.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
They're now reporting up to 300k gusts WOW! God help them.

Trees being ripped out already and that's just on the very front edge of the storm. Being described on Sky News as the mos catastrophic storm in Generations.

10,000 already in evacuation centers.

Willis Island crew evacuated early enough (4 crew members) Monitors wiped out. Relying now on Satalite.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Holy bat goo, Batman!

Thats just insane. 300km/h = 186.xx mph

Wow.. just WOW..

Holy onto something that is bolted down, and pray to what ever Deity you follow.

Prayers and Thoughts with the people.

When the world tilts and it's the northern Hemisphere's turn, may we also be thought of and prayed for.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Just look at how big it really is....

Over America :

Over China :

Over the UK :

That is quite insane.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Just look at how big it really is....

Over America :

Over China :

Over the UK :

That is quite insane.

Is that the weather systems over those countries right now ? holy COW!

Well obviously different systems.. but *Yikes*

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lansky

Nah... this is the Cyclone hitting Australia right now... if it was happening over those various regions...

There's no hurricanes right now over China/UK/US...

But there's lots of snow!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I really don't see the point of over laying the cyclone over other countries, it's just silly.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
So the weather monitoring station on Willis island was destroyed,This is a device built to measure weather and therefore built to withstand extreme weather and tested in a wind tunnel,You would think that if it was built properly it would withstand anything nature could throw at it.My point is that this cyclone is so strong that its pushing the limits known to us.Catastrophic damage about to be unleashed

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
LOLOL and i just moved to QLD...first week i was here we got the floods..now this >

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree,
Ive noticed Australia likes doing that with all things.

I think they have a bit of a complex that they are often left out of the world because of their size? importance? or distance from the worlds happenings.

Its obviously untrue, but Australia does it alot.

Although, it is cool to see a storm of that size only affecting a small porting of our country, yet taking over entire other countries!

edit on 2-2-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I dont find it silly ,as it gives a sense of the scale of this mother,so members around the world can appreciate the size

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
that's monstrous. Very frightening. Yes, thank god they got out.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
So the weather monitoring station on Willis island was destroyed,This is a device built to measure weather and therefore built to withstand extreme weather and tested in a wind tunnel,You would think that if it was built properly it would withstand anything nature could throw at it.My point is that this cyclone is so strong that its pushing the limits known to us.Catastrophic damage about to be unleashed

Actually its an entire station. Its habitated by 4 people year round, and was only just rebuilt. But then again, this is what happens when the Head of our engineering department keeps on signing contracts for GHD to build our stuff. Those morons couldnt even build a house out of lego

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Be safe...

edit on 2-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No disrespect intended, and not to diminish the seriousness of this, but that looks about the size of what's over American now...only without the 300 mph winds. Kind of strange, actually. Two monster storms like this and all world leaders to Washington Monday?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy
LOLOL and i just moved to QLD...first week i was here we got the floods..now this >

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join