It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska hit with a 5.9 Earthquake

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I understand and my apologies, I realize I might have come off as pompous and blunt to you. Just wanted to make it clear to everyone reading this that for future references, if you hear about earthquakes or snow here, its normal. The only time I'd ever worry is if Mt. Spur went catastrophic. It boils every now and then and covers anchorage in ash, happened bout 2 or 3 years ago. But we don't mind it so much, just like to bottle the ash and sell it to people on Ebay for some quick money!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DakmindAK
I understand and my apologies, I realize I might have come off as pompous and blunt to you. Just wanted to make it clear to everyone reading this that for future references, if you hear about earthquakes or snow here, its normal. The only time I'd ever worry is if Mt. Spur went catastrophic. It boils every now and then and covers anchorage in ash, happened bout 2 or 3 years ago. But we don't mind it so much, just like to bottle the ash and sell it to people on Ebay for some quick money!

accepted, and what would be an acceptable quake mag
to report on in the future, i'm new here and since reporting
a 5.9 seems ignorant, please fill me in, so i do not make this
mistake in future threads, thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In any other area that might be noteworthy, but not Alaska. 7.0 is huge, and 8.0 is astronomical.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DakmindAK
In any other area that might be noteworthy, but not Alaska. 7.0 is huge, and 8.0 is astronomical.

well aware of that, was just inquiring
so that i may not upset you in the future
when i see a 5.9 -6.9 reported i shall
think of your post , and refrain from
reporting on Ats this un important news

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I lived in Alaska for 4 years. Earthquakes are very very very frequent. Probably every single day. When living there, you get so used to them that nobody thinks anything of it.

And most of Alaska is very remote....so there usually is not any damage.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Here in anchorage area as well didn't feel a thing. But then again I have lived in a lot of earth quake prone areas. Only time it bugs me is if it's 6.1 or greater.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

thanks for adding your comments, so for future
reference shall I not thread any quakes 5.9 again?
sorry if that is frowned upon here.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jophiel

thanks for adding your comments, so for future
reference shall I not thread any quakes 5.9 again?
sorry if that is frowned upon here.

Why are you being so defensive??? Nobody is attacking you. We are just responding with our thoughts. That is what people do here. We converse back and forth.

Are you looking only for responses like this: OMG OMG OMG OMG we need to freak out!

Many people are not familiar with Alaska and especially in regards to earthquakes. Just passing on info about a place I know about.
edit on February 1st 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Haha you probably only got so many comments because its Alaska, and the locals are gonna be like "Wait a minute..." when they see it. Keep reporting 5.9 quakes in high population areas. I understand people would immediately think catastrophe with HAARP being up here, but the way I see it, we're safest in the belly of the beast.

I didn't know so many other Alaskans frequented the site, this is good news!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Stalker619

the great Alaskan quake was a 9.2 in 1964
its been a while since a mag of that proportion
happened there, you might be due for another.
7. or higher , when was the last 6. and above there in
Alaska ?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

no not at all, and that was evident as i pointed out earlier in my posts, i was a little
defensive when the other poster called my thread rubbish , but continued to post
in my rubbish thread, we have since resolved this.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
also since i am being accused of suggesting panic
please provide a quote of me doing so.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Alright man, I'm gonna tell you right meow. Posting earthquake threads is fine with backed research and if the higher magnitudes are reported in high populated areas. What is not going to serve you well here is such volatile sensitivity. Quote where you are being accused of instilling panic, in my perspective, I read more of a rhetoric question thrown about for some chuckles on all sides. You're fine! Don't worry! Being defensive and sensitive is only going to make people frustrated that they have to explain that attacking you is not their intent.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DakmindAK

Sorry sir but i believe calling my thread rubbish , on your first post is an attack
who would not be defensive? after a remark like that, my link was genuine enough
to be reported in the news there in Alaska thought it would be ok to inform the members here
sorry for my ignorance
maybe you should call the source of my op and tell them not to fear monger also
that way, i will not see Alaskans post non important news about Alaska.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Jophiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
wow

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

Not really. Here is a cumulative graph of 4+ mag quakes in the last 365 days in Alaska. You can see the number is steady and the mags are pretty even.

edit on 5/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DakmindAK

I live in Alaska, everything is fine here, this thread is rubbish and sensationalist

A 5.9 anywhere is NOT rubbish and is NOT sensationalist and the OP has not sensationalised this in any way that I can see.

When you consider that this size of earthquake is the start of the band where they ring all round the world, and then consider that for a seismo to record this it has to move, and I mean physically move, then perhaps you begin to get the picture that this size of earthquake DOES move the ground all round the world and that is not something to take a cavalier attitude towards.

Further more this is the ONLY quake of that magnitude in the last 365 days so I am sorry but I think your reply could have been better worded. I don't care if you live there or not, you could take the time to explain about the levels of quakes that 'matter' in Alaska and not just 'rubbish' the thread.. That is a big quake and in some areas people would die from a quake that size.

edit on 5/2/2011 by PuterMan because: missing words, bad spelling - the usual stuff!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join