It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska hit with a 5.9 Earthquake

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Alaska was dealt a 5.9
quake that shook several communities , reports state that the quake was felt for two minutes,occurring 570 miles sw of Anchorage.

TextThe U.S. Geological Survey reports the Tuesday afternoon earthquake was centered 25 miles south of Sand Point, at a depth of almost 22 miles. It was also felt in Cold Bay and Chignik.

No reports of damage at this time.
just thought i should report this.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Also Alaska has been hit with 90 low mag quakes in only four days

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

Thanks for sharing... that's what it's all about here

I know that the official line is that there has been no more earthquakes than normal... but it does seem that they are getting to be pretty regular.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Yes it does appear that moderate mag quakes are becoming more frequent
and later on recorded can provide a dot here on Ats that we can connect to
determine a trend, that can help us in the future predict what may be ahead

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

Perhaps Alaska will experience a quake large enough where HAARP is located - enough to destroy it!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bartibog
reply to post by Jophiel

Perhaps Alaska will experience a quake large enough where HAARP is located - enough to destroy it!

Here is some info about H.A.R.R.P

TextThe HAARP Ionospheric Research facility will be a major Arctic facility for conducting upper atmospheric research. The facility will consist of two essential parts: A high power transmitter and antenna array operating in the High Frequency (HF) range. When complete, the transmitter will be capable of producing up to 3.6 million Watts to an antenna system consisting of 180 crossed dipole antennas arranged as a rectangular, planar array. A complete and extensive set of scientific instruments for observation of both the background auroral ionosphere and of the effects produced during active research using the transmitter system. Output from these instruments will be combined into an integrated data package which will be available world-wide in near real time over the internet. During active ionospheric research, the signal generated by the transmitter system is delivered to the antenna array, transmitted in an upward direction, and is partially absorbed, at an altitude between 100 to 350 km (depending on operating frequency), in a small volume a few hundred meters thick and a few tens of kilometers in diameter over the site. The intensity of the HF signal in the ionosphere is less than 3 microwatts per cm2, tens of thousands of times less than the Sun's natural electromagnetic radiation reaching the earth and hundreds of times less than even the normal random variations in intensity of the Sun's natural ultraviolet (UV) energy which creates the ionosphere. The small effects that are produced, however, can be observed with the sensitive scientific instruments installed at the HAARP facility and these observations can provide new information about the dynamics of plasmas and new insight into the processes of solar-terrestrial interactions. www.haarp.alaska.edu...

can you explain why it being destroyed would benefit you?
I would like to see some evidence this array is sinister before
i agree with your above statement. thanks.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
every time i think of anything that happens in alaska i automatically think of haarp is that bad there was a rainbow n i tried to find a link to haarp lol

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
those type of quakes are common there. I remember a few times walking on the ice and a good quake had enough force to make me slip and fall.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

I have never been threw a quake
I Imagine it would be a one of a
kind experience for sure.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I dont know how these relate but it could be part of the ongoing volcanic eruptions and volcanic quickenings taking place world wide.
japan has a very active one at present.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here are some more quakes that happened today.

M 5.9 2011/02/02 00:38 Depth 35.0 km ALASKA PENINSULA February 01, 2011 at 03:38:17 PM at epicenter Please read our in-depth report about this earthquake - Click here An in-depth article is being prepared 40 km (25 miles) S (174°) from Sand Point, Alaska Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map 1 deep moderate earthquake in Tonga (M 5.3 @ 197 km) and 2 Bonin islands aftershocks (M 4.9 and M 5.0) M 5.6 2011/02/01 13:39 Depth 25.8 km ANDAMAN ISLANDS, INDIA REGION 07:39:47 PM at epicenter Strong seaquake but with an epicenter approx. 150 km from the nearest coast, wa can predict that this earthquake will not be damaging. 190 km (120 miles) SE of Port Blair, Andaman Islands, India Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map M 4.7 2011/02/01 12:53 Depth 3.1 km RUSSIA-MONGOLIA BORDER REGION 08:53:53 PM at epicenter Please read our in-depth report about this earthquake - Click here Very shallow earthquake only a few km from Sakharnyy Zavod and Bichura. As one can see on the satellite picture, this is a populated area with a lot of farming fields. The epicenter seems to be located under the river bed. 35 km (80 miles) S of Ulan-Ude, Russia Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (USGS epicenter location) M 4.8 2011/02/01 11:24 Depth 9.8 km NORTHWESTERN SOMALIA 02:24:24 PM at epicenter Epicenter on the shores of the northern Somalia, close to the border with Djibouti. Based on the satellite image the earthquake occurred on the coastal road, but as far as we could see NO villages are located near the epicenter. Thec losest to the epicenter is the village of Karuure, at approx. 30 km. 115 km (70 miles) SE of DJIBOUTI, Djibouti Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map M 5.2 2011/02/01 08:16 Depth 12.0 km TAIWAN 04:16:31 PM at epicenter Please read our in-depth report about this earthquake - Click here 36 km N Hualien (pop 108,286) Strong earthquake near the shores of Taiwan. Taiwan CWB reports a magnitude of Ml 5.5 at a depth of 17 km. According to CWB the max. MMI values for Hualien County and Yilan County are VI to VII (converted from the CWA scale) Preliminary epicenter location is still problematic as EMSC and USGS are giving different locations Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (EMSC epicenter location) 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (USGS epicenter location) 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (CWB (Taiwan) epicenter location) M 4.8 2011/02/01 07:11 Depth 39.6 km MYANMAR-CHINA BORDER REGION local time 13:41 Please read our in-depth report about this earthquake – Click here Moderate shallow but dangerous earthquake 73 km NE Banmo (pop 47,920) Initial data from EMSC were M 4.9 at a depth of 20 km (more dangerous). Even lower magnitudes can be dangerous in this part of the world. The earthquake epicenter is on Chinese territory near the village of Xiang Dao. 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (EMSC epicenter location) 3-dimensional view of the earthquake area (USGS epicenter location) Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map (green arrow) M 4.6 2011/02/01 05:18 Depth 517.1 km SALTA, ARGENTINA 02:18:38 AM at epicenter Too deep to even be felt. The hypocenter was located in the hot mantle of the earth. 15 km (10 miles) S of Yacuiba, Bolivia and 45 km (30 miles) NNE of Tartagal, Salta, Argentina Quake-maps.com satellite map + I Did Feel It form Alternative satellite map 2 moderate M 4.9 earthquakes in the Volcano Islands area (Japan) far away from populated islands Satellite map Earthquakes occurred yesterday (UTC time), but today local time M 5.2 2011/01/31 14:46 Depth 49.3 km VOLCANO ISLANDS, JAPAN February 01, 2011 at 12:46:34 AM at epicente

note: sorry that came out looking so terrible.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Jophiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I dont know how these relate but it could be part of the ongoing volcanic eruptions and volcanic quickenings taking place world wide.
japan has a very active one at present.

Where there is smoke there is fire, you might be on to something
I will look into that.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Summary of my reply: I live in Alaska, everything is fine here, this thread is rubbish and sensationalist.

I live in Anchorage, been goin bout my day without feeling a thing. And that's saying something because tremors are frequent in the area. You could be chillin in your house and feel your chair rumble, that's just how it goes. Plenty of snows in the skies, but we're used to that round this time of the year, especially in ... uh Alaska! I laughed about the snow storms in the states, they don't know anything about snow! "State of the emergency... 2 feet of snow possible!" OH NO!!!!!!!
edit on 1-2-2011 by DakmindAK because: summary added for convenient reading

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DakmindAK

Good point , It seems abnormal here where i live this blizzard blew in and didn't waste anytime
Its been snowing for 8 1/2 hours and we have received 5 1/2 inches of snow and counting.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That really isn't much my friend. I learned how to drive a car with a car that had no heater, no studded tires, and during six o'clock traffic on icy roads in mid winter Anchorage Alaska. If you guys can't handle some snow storm that just covers a large area, move to Alaska and you'll lean how to survive the end of the world. hahahahaha

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

well i think that i regret giving you a star !
because after i starred your post, you
edit it and call my thread rubbish, sorry
that you feel that way, what can i do to
live up to your standards on what a thread should be?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Here's from our local news source: www.adn.com...

Sidenote from an Alaskan Those are very unpopulated and irrelevant areas. Worst case scenario, they all take a bush plane to Anchorage and lie low. (Planes are very common, especially citizen owned planes. After a lot of kids graduate they go off to get a pilots license). If anyone is prepared for a huge earthquake, it isn't cali, it isn't those on the new madrid fault, its Alaska. We're a bunch of natural survivalists who know how to live off the land, hell its a way of life and recreation just during the summer... and we know how to adapt for a long cold dark winter. Just look at the quake that happened here back in the 60's... when the place was just getting on its feet in the name of the game of states.

Sidenote about HAARP: Its real, my best friend is a 3rd gen plasterer and goes off on Alaskan projects all summer. He worked over at the HAARP facility, and they had to go through a special class for a week before work going over protocol. Said all the windows were blacked out. One night as he was headed back to the camp, one of the satellite dish looking things shot a shock wave into the sky and moments later he heard rumbling off in the distance.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jophiel

It just really disappointed me how quick people jump to conclusions, is all. I mean I understand the concern, but I'd also be more expecting of you to do some research on earthquake history of Alaska and how our communities run here before posting about it. Then you have all these uneducated people jumping to the gun about earthquakes in Alaska... that means all that consciousness manifesting earthquakes here.

Yea we could live through tons of earthquakes, but I'd rather not hahaha. So I'd just rather people do their research before reporting so we don't get a bunch of ignants manifesting what shouldn't be happening.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I am not understanding your behavior on this thread,
why do you continue to post here if you believe my
thread is rubbish? and i never stated that there was
any damage, nor did i make a thread to cause panic.
and H.A.R.R.P. is real , we all know its real, what is
debated is its intentions vs its creation purpose , to be
debated on another thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I never intended to cause alarm, that is pretty evident
in my op, just sharing current events , as I have seen done
here before. sorry if you misunderstood me, or the intention of
the message brought forth.

top topics

<<   2 >>