It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Irish Gypsy Culture - Unique Insight?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

Cheers for this squizzy

I can't wait

I wonder whether the community will attempt to stop Channel 4 from showing the series, considering the largely negative publicity from the original one:

Travellers plan to sue Channel 4 for £10m after ‘nightmare’ of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Also, Big Paddy's had a rough ride since the broadcasts:

Big Fat Gypsy Weddings star 'under police guard' amid feared revenge attacks by travellers

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Thank you again for this very valuable personal insight

It's a true shame that the film makers didn't seek to balance their documentary to accurately reflect the full scope of the community/culture. While we all know there's "bad eggs" in every culture and community, unfortunately many who've viewed these shows will now leap into judgement of the entire community based purely on the portrayals they've seen.

TBH I've no doubt that Channel 4 was relying on that kind of backlash to hike up their viewing figures - after all, I've not gone a single week without hearing someone talking about the show.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

According to what I read all the young members are lining up to be in the new series and if you saw the papers PD isn't the hard man he is cracked up to be.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

Indeed! Broken jaw and going against the gypsy code by turning Queen's evidence

It's not good you know Squizzy, I'm getting drawn into all the drama!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

I have got a good insight into what you are reading and watching these days and no it is not good cos I am with you on this . Damn sad that I can't wait to see what is in the new episode. I wonder if they will be painted differently, the same or very honestly. I guess you also saw about the 4 grand still outstanding for the wedding buffet and the damage that they caused. That alone does not help to change peoples opinions of them as most folks are rather negative to them as it is.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join