It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat "5" Hurricane Reaches Queensland on the Hour 300 KPH Winds Expected!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

The storm surge is 3m to 6m depending on which city between Townsville and Cardwell 6m it will be close to high tide when it hits Mission Beach and others will probably go under they had to treble the evacuation area as these numbers weren't in till this morning,dont know about Oz Weatherman the State Premier and Queensland Police are talking 295km/h winds as at the 1.00 briefing.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADUB77
What time (EST) is the storm supposed to reach mainland?

About midnight. The winds should pick up a few hours sooner though

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Im just providing observations here, not forecasts.

Anna Bligh and the police are not the best people to be listening to in this situation though, they dont know much about tropical cyclones as we do. Anyway, the max winds recorded so far were 215km/h, much less than expected, and over 100km/h less than the strongest cyclone to hit the coast which was cyclone Vance where wind gusts were in excess of 320km/h

Should clarify that the winds of 320km/h were assumed winds. The highest recorded in Vance was approximatekly 290km/h
edit on 1/2/2011 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

My father was in Darwin 5 days after Tracy,steel street lights bent like pretzels,volkswagons in swimming pools nothing left unless its brick or besser block even at that mostly with no roofs-I hope your right I know what 300km/h plus can do--------and interesting this sort of information as to WHAT it can do is not being disseminated.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Few quick updates.

1.40pm AEST

www.heraldsun.com.au...

Photo of an evacuation centre at a Cairns shopping complex.

- A short time ago, Cairns residents bracing for Cyclone Yasi said the weather in the city is starting to take an ominous turn.

- Queensland Premier Anna Bligh says residents should prepare to live without many essential services as Cyclone Yasi bears down on Queensland.

Real time national radar loop showing the ferocity of the cyclone - www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Tracy was only a category 4 as well. Unfotunantly it actually spawned tornadoes, and a lot of the damage actually came from those rather than Tracy's winds alone.

Time will only tell what the winds will peak at. The observational equipment has picked up 215km/h winds but nothing exceeding that as of yet, but thats still one hell of a ferocious cyclone

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I just saw a weather guru on the television and he was saying that as the cyclone passes the Great Barrier Reef that the warm waters (due to global warming) would fuel Yasi to go even faster and, therefore, by time it hits landfall the cyclone would have intensified. What are your views on this?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I have lived through Hurricane Fran and big parts of Andrew, I wouldnt wish one of these storms on anyone they are destructive and deadly.

Best wishes to all of our comrades in the land of Oz. Please be safe.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

They won't more than likely die. Why say that?

They should leave to eliminate any chance of injury or death, but they won't most likely die.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I live on the Louisiana Gulf coast, and have been through many of these storms so know what you guys are dealing with......best of luck and prayers to all my Aussie friends.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join