It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat "5" Hurricane Reaches Queensland on the Hour 300 KPH Winds Expected!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi was upgraded to category five this morning as the weather bureau warned it was likely to be "more life-threatening" than any storm seen in Australia in living memory.

www.abc.net.au...

There seems to be a lot of bad weather about these days, but this is something else all together. 300pkh winds. I live in on an island in NW scotland, it is meant to be the windiest area in europe over the next few days we are expecting to have 80-90mph winds here. That is windy enough. This kind of storm wil cause wide spread damage, my thoughts go out to the people that caught up in it.

live watch:
cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...

This storm was predicted three weeks ago by piers corbyn. He has a more accurate prediction rate than the met office in the uk:

Piers Corbyn, astrophysicist of WeatherAction.com said this is a great double-hit forecast result. "We predicted three weeks ahead that probably TWO Tropical cyclones would form (&/or rapidly power-up) probably one in Indian Ocean and one NE of Queensland in the period 28-31 Jan and that is what has happened - Timing and regions CONFIRMED’.

www.weatheraction.com...

What is going on with the weather, it seems to be getting more extreme. Look at the heat waves in russia this past summer and the droughts in other parts of the world.
something is blocking the jet stream over here and we have been getting some real cold weather. Over the pond in america a massive storm is heading in. something seems very wrong with the weather atm and it seems the powers that be know more than they are letting on to.

Now We Know… NASA Lied – 2010 Was Not the Hottest Year Ever

gatewaypundit.rightnetwork.com... aign=Feed%3A+Climatescam+%28ClimateScam%29&utm_content=Twitter

The people of australia have had it bad already with the floods. They really dont need this.
Lets hope that this kind of weather does not become the norm.
I really dont know what the cause of these extreme weather patterns are. I am an environment scientist and have tried to get an insight into the subject. I am none the wiser between, climate change, climategate, solar changes, weather modification and natural flucatations on the planet it i still dont know..
We are going to have to ride the storm...none the wiser

kx

edit on 1/2/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Thats horrible news, as someone who's been through many Hurricanes the last of which was Rita I'd like to tell any ATS members that are in the storms path and haven't left yet to GTFO NOW! I don't know the population of the area's about to be affected but we had 4.8 million people evacuate and it took us 19 hours to go 120 miles and she still had a lot of strength when she struck. I hope everyone can make it out, the ones that decide to stay will more than likely die, so get while the getting is still good.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It is certianly interesting times that we live in. My thoughts and prayers go out to Australia.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Bad weather is sweeping the whole planet. No other words to say.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
...cat 5 is scary... experienced a few... however, i've been in lower cats that were more deadly... did you know some scientists are trying to justify the need for a cat 6?...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...cat 5 is scary... experienced a few... however, i've been in lower cats that were more deadly... did you know some scientists are trying to justify the need for a cat 6?...

if they need a cat 6 we live in changing times for sure...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just to put this in perspective: Katrina was a Cat 3 when it made landfall in 2005. Yikes.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If there was a cat 6, this would make it. It hits at hide tide, at midnight Queensland time and the storm is moving at 30 km/hr. A weatherman there translated that into a potential wind speed at the core of 320 km/hr...over 200 MPH!!!! That is tornado sort of speed, but with a storm size exponentially larger. This is expected to have hurricane force winds for over 12 hours and the worst in the dead of night...at high tide.

Folks, this will be such a horror story it will knock everything else of the news. Nothing will be left in its wake and I've been reading local forums (www.abc.net.au...), many are going to ride it out. Some of those posting will surely not be living this time tomorrow.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Ok everyone just needs to calm down a minute and think out this

I work for the weather bureau here in Australia, although not in Queensland. Ive been monitoring the cyclone all morning, as it passed directly over our weather station out at Willis Island. The strongest gust out there, just before the eye was just over 200km/h. While there is evidence that there is a possibility of winds in excess of 300km/h, it has yet to be shown. The figure is a worst case scenario situation.

We have had at least 5 or 6 stronger cyclones before, including Orson, Vance and Monica and each time, no town was "completely wiped of the map". Yes, this is a bad cyclone, but we have been through worse and survived

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Still OZ, stay safe. Those winds are nothing to laugh at.

I am wishing the best on all of you down there...........

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
live on ustream www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Has the storm reached land?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Still OZ, stay safe. Those winds are nothing to laugh at.

I am wishing the best on all of you down there...........

No, totally agree with you, those winds are not safe. We have lost all data from Willis Island now, aprt from barometric pressure, and the sensors we have out at Holmes Reef are showing gusts in excess of 120kmh now. Will keep monitoring the wind speeds as it approaches the coast

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Jeez Mother Nature seems to have it in for Queensland!!

But here's a pic I just found out which pretty much sums up why I love the Aussie spirit!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
if they need a cat 6 we live in changing times for sure...

...it used to be that cats were based primarily on economic loss, not necessarily the strength or windspeed of the storm but i think that changed after katrina... maybe oz can set us straight on that...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The local news there said that weather station you mentioned was knocked offline by the storm, the center of which was a still a few hours away from the radar when it was taken out. The last reading 0810 and the wind hit 185 kph. So how do we know you are what you say? (No disrespect intended, but what you said does not square with the article.)

www.abc.net.au...

edit on 1-2-2011 by pajoly because: add qualifier

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

This just came in from us. I was spot on when I said it wasnt as strong as thought. Its still severe, the media is just over sensationalising stuff

Max winds estimated at 115 knots
supported by AMSU/SATCON estimates at 125kn [1min], although Willis Island
pressure observations suggest a slightly weaker system.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Well that will be welcome news, though I heard some expectations of strengthening just before landfall, which is not uncommon. Don't you also have to add the speed of the storm itslef, which is moving fairly briskly at about 30 kph? Hitting at high tide, what is the expected storm surge?

I live in FL in the USA nearly at sea level west of Tampa, so this stuff interests me.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Its really hard to say to be honest, and Im not supposed to make any predicitons myself due to the fact that Im not in the Queensland Sever Weather Section. I can continue to provide observations though.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
What time (EST) is the storm supposed to reach mainland?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join