It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Response To Recent Awakenings

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Student X

I'm not sure how you can equate this to being a prophet. The argument is not that prophecy or prophets don't exist. The argument is that people in the store began to believe she was right because of mutual fear, experiences, and her words. More and more people chose to believe what she was saying as they did not have much else to grasp to at the moment.

Prophecy is a whole different bag of tricks. Honestly Delphi was more then likely suffering from hallucinations due to high levels of sulfur in her body. Nostradamus well that is a unique one as is. I haven't done all that much research into Nostradamus but from what I have read his predictions are very vague. Not to mention I am fairly certain he has ended the world on more then one occasion. I mean honestly how many times can the world end. There are numerous prophets and prophecy and all them have hit the mark numerous times.

When you hit on vagueness there are 2 very good examples of this

The Book of Revelations

The prophecies in the book of revelations have happened more time then one can count yet everytime someone will say they have occurred in the proper order or that the signs have happened.

The Rivers turn to blood, well this one hasn't really happened, but India has a almost annual event where the river turns blood red due to a algae in the area.

The Moon turns red. Well the moon turns red at each and every lunar eclipse. Just like the Sun turns black and each and every solar eclipse. No big shocker or end of times phenomenon there.

The Earth will shake. Well honestly the earth shakes a lot and quite frequently. If I am not mistaken it happens multiple times on a daily basis.

The Hopi

I am not 100% sure these are accurate as there are many translations and most on the internet have quite frankly become tainted by people's opinions.

The Seas will turn black and many animals will die - Ok well this one is interesting as I don't believe there was much off-shore drilling or oil around at the time, but this has happened on more then one occasion. The Valdez incident and quite a few others around the world aside from the Deep Horizon incident.

I am not as familiar with them as the Revelations so I will leave it with that.

I suppose the point I am getting at is we are not necessarily focusing on prophecy though most of them are not all that accurate and are probably as accurate as the Gregorian Calendar and or the King James version of the bible.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804

The argument is that people in the store began to believe she was right because of mutual fear, experiences, and her words. More and more people chose to believe what she was saying as they did not have much else to grasp to at the moment.

Lets back up a bit. You haven't even addressed my first post yet. Your thesis rests on equating the followers in the store with those who claim to be 'awakened'. Your claim is their fear leads them to delude themselves into thinking they are 'awakened'. You claim 'awakening' is fear based...my claim is that 'awakening' is experience based, not fear based.

'Awakened' people are by analogy people who have gone out into the mist and explored it and came back again, and who have no fear of the mist. An awakened person would not share the fear of the people who stay in the store and so would not feel the need to chose to believe what she was saying.

Leaving aside the issue of prophecy for now, do you understand my position?

edit on 2-2-2011 by Student X because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This awakening thing, it does happen. If you have any interest at all about this and would like to see what it is really about check out conscious tv or urban guru cafe online. There are many, many awakened beings.
It happened when i was 26 and i had never even heard of awakening, enlightenment or liberation or what ever name you want to give it. It was totally real, totally amazing and lasted about a year. At the time i did not know what it was, where it had come from, just that life was amazingly beautiful, i found life just flowed. It was honestly delicious.
Looking back now i felt it faded and i tried to get it back. Went back into the normal suffering life, tried everything to get make life ok again. Therapy even antidepressants.
Then i came across Eckhart Tolle on youtube. I found loads of people who had experienced the same as i had.
Awakening is usually a glimpse which then makes a person seek for more, a spiritual seeker.
Liberation is when the seeker finds what he seeks.
Then the seeker is no more.
edit on 2-2-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
You are correct. YOU 'don't see'.

Tell me what you think I "don't see"

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I do understand your position and I thought I had addressed it in my previous post on page one. I am not speaking of people who have a true awakening or a true belief in god or finding god. I am far from opposed that this actually occurs.

I suppose what I am getting at is that I am questioning the true nature of the awakenings that are being announced as " I know a lot of people who used to be athiest or agnostic that are awakening now" This is a very broad statement and I find it hard to believe that there are that many people having a true awakening experience in such a short time frame.

It strikes me more as a nominal trend. Hey I heard a bunch of people found god recently and I think it's high time I do too. This to me is more of what I see happening at the moment. Sort of similar to how thousands of birds died in Arkansas, then by the end of the week there were thousands of birds dying all over the world. Now the reality whether people like it or not is yes a lot of birds died. However, when you have 200 birds dying in another country on the other side of the globe from poisoning, or some other cause does not mean it is the same as the thousands that died in Arkansas. Though the media and people bunch them all together into one. This the same argument on awakenings. Just because 10 people had a true awakening doesn't mean that everyone who suddenly found god or religion is having a true awakening as much as they are reacting to what others are doing or saying.

Do you see what I am getting at?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Don't confuse religion with spirituality.

Also, don't confuse exoteric religion with esoteric religion.

The whole premise of this thread is flawed, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
Don't confuse religion with spirituality.

How do you define "spirituality"?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Religion is a path. Spirit is what you are and has no authority.
Follow a leader or see that you are life itself.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Religion is a path. Spirit is what you are and has no authority.
Follow a leader or see that you are life itself.

It sounds as if you're defining spirituality as self.
If so, why not just use the word "self"?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I don't see a mass of recent "awakenings" of any kind.

Will you let us know if you do? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

OK I see what you are getting at. You accept legitimate awakenings occur, but accepting it as a sociological phenomenon is a bit of a stretch for you. It strikes you as a mere superficial trend.

Do you accept the reality of psychic ability? Have you heard of the Global Consciousness Project?

noosphere.princeton.edu...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks.
Why did you define it differently than Wikipedia?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Why are the semantics so important?

all experience is beyond words, we whittle it down into conceptualization, and then into verbalization. it is possible to get lost in the translation.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I have actually heard of this and I actually do see some evidence of this being real. I do not think it is made up and I have always believed in pyschic ability. I think everyone has a bit of latent psychic ability. I am a bit hesitant to believe in prophecy just because of how broad and it is and also how often it is wrong. I have been hard pressed to find any actual prophecies that were accurate and came true.

I also want to make clear that I am not arguing against Awakenings in the spirtual since or the psychic sense. I am more arguing against the relgious aspect more accurately Christianity.

Though I would like to thank all the posters for providing there input and opinions. I hope that no one has been offended by anything I have said at least those that are participating. I find debate to be healthy and I was far from expecting a standing ovation and agreements on my post. I think that is something a lot of posters forget and actually get hurt or offended by the responses they get.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804

I have actually heard of this and I actually do see some evidence of this being real. I do not think it is made up and I have always believed in pyschic ability. I think everyone has a bit of latent psychic ability.

Glad to hear that.

If there is a wave of real awakenings, then I would say there is something parasociological going on. In times of liminality the paranormal surges in power. We are in a liminal period of history. The psi of awakened people is waking some of those people who are asleep. The awakened noosphere is spreading in waves.

Collective Consciousness and Cultural Healing

[...]

Another example of collective consciousness at a primitive level comes from the remarkable behavior of a forest slime mold in search of a new feeding area. For most of its life, slime mold exists as a single-cell amoeba; however, when it needs food, it can transform itself into a much larger entity with new capacities. Individual amoebas send out signals to nearby cells until thousands collect together. Eventually, they reach a critical mass and, without the aid of any apparent leader, organize themselves into an organism that can move across the forest floor. Upon reaching a better feeding area, they release spores from which new individual amoebas are formed. Under conditions of great stress, forest slime molds seem to be able to mobilize a capacity for collective consciousness so as to insure their own survival.

[...]

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks.
Why did you define it differently than Wikipedia?

Did Wikipedia define spirituality as the same thing as religion? I think not.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

But can self be defined. Life is what you are. And life is sensation appearing as form to the formless.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

drummer are you feeling any thing changing within you and denying it or are you just not feeling any thing?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with believing, no belief. This does not have to be believed, is it totally known. The ultimate, intimate truth. This knowing is what you are, the all seeing, all knowing I.

<< 1    3 >>

join