It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by GhostLancer
One last thought: it does take a measure of FAITH to *believe* that there isn't more to this world that what we can hold in our hands or see with our eyes or taste with our tongues or smell with our noses or hear with our ears, IMHO.

I don't believe I've ever heard any atheist claim that the world is strictly limited to what we can detect with our five senses. In fact, that has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

I never made any claims about aetheists claiming the world is strictly limited by our senses. It was just a statement.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

I really appreciate you posting this, its time people began seeing the bold line between Atheism and Religion.

As for the topic about Religion bashing Atheism lately, I too have noticed a surge in the number of these topics as well, and its become a little discerning for me. It's already difficult enough to have people ostracize me for a lack of spirituality/religion, so seeing topics taking the knife to my choice of non-belief is kind of hurtful.
And I have seen some of the Atheist topics as being defensive rather than attacking religious people for the sake of such.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I'm totally going to ignore the persecution complex that would have been laughed out of a thousand chat rooms and internet threads if it was a theist (or more likely a Christian) making these claims.

If you hadn't noticed the state of youtube and how if you type "Bible" into google you get "Bible contradiction" and "Evil Bible" within the first couple results, atheists have kind of had a monopoly over the internet. Try being an apologist on Youtube until that massive neck-bearded yeti, the amazing atheist makes a video consisting of swearing and personal attacks and gets a million likes from his idiot fans.

The point I'm trying to make is that Atheists have been attacking Theists for a long time and that will naturally put them on the offensive. There aren't any secret meetings for either group as far as I know, they just constantly victimize each other by being jerks and morons. These are natural internet cycles, you were probably just inside when the gale changed directions.

edit on 2-2-2011 by kallisti36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by GhostLancer

Do you remember what happens after that line is uttered? The believer starts to strangle someone. Really bad example there.

It was a humorous example. And it was a great example. --Again, it was intended for it's humor. I apologize to anyone who is/was offended by that example. Personally, I find that what happens next very indicative of how history up to this point has unfolded. Weren't thousands (hundreds of thousands) of wiccans burned at the stake during the middle ages by Christians? Look what is supposed to have happened during the Salem witch trials.

Faith can be dangerous if misguided, and everyone being human and prone to error, organized faith has been the death of countless at the hands of believers.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

One last thought: it does take a measure of FAITH to *believe* that there isn't more to this world that what we can hold in our hands or see with our eyes or taste with our tongues or smell with our noses or hear with our ears, IMHO.

I don't believe I've ever heard any atheist claim that the world is strictly limited to what we can detect with our five senses. In fact, that has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism.

I never made any claims about aetheists claiming the world is strictly limited by our senses. It was just a statement.

I quoted what you actually said and then paraphrased it.
Either way, atheists don't believe any such thing. Others claim they do.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Which threads are you referring to?

Please forgive some of us for reacting, but on the whole the atheists around here have been totally "snarky" to believers, mystics and philosophers alike who have a conception of a God as supreme being, spirit of the universe whatever you want to call "it" or Him.

Try to look at it from our perspective, and recognize how much bashing goes on, and the assumptions which are made, and the bold-faced statements of "fact" which have no foundational basis such as "the sole purpose of all religion is to enslave the masses and coddle people in their fear of death" stuff like that, which is so ill informed and ignorant it's not funny.

I'm sorry but I don't think it's the Christians or believers in God who are being highly uncivilized, and most certainly not any more so than the atheists, who, at times, can be ok, even playful, although for the most part, they come across as a very hard hearted lot, cold.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

reply to post by notsoperfect

Originally posted by notsoperfect

I would rather attack the Muslim belief system or that of the Hindus for the overall progress of the human society.

Why? I mean, there aren't many Muslims on ATS and there aren't many Hindus on ATS...and you'd just be stoking the flames of intolerance against a minority group. Sure, the religious claims are ridiculous, but why bother if you're not going to be confronting those who hold those beliefs?

Hello, How do you know how many Muslims and Hindus are on this site? Are you saying that because they don't make a point of posting in threads about their religious beliefs? Is that mandatory on a conspiracy site that covers a pantheon of subjects?
edit on 2-2-2011 by something wicked because: formatting which still seems a bit off

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
because there is a "god" it just isn't the western idea of god that is a single spirited entity up in the sky.

And because something definitely happens when you die.

"We live, we die, and death not ends it"

Most actually just lack the ability to conceptualize the infinite and see god as it truly is,
infinity

peace Always

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Just look at the list I posted of threads attacking atheism...yours aren't amongst them. You're just talking about general concepts, you're not attacking people.

Thank you for letting me know my friend. I just wanted to be sure.

While we are on this subject, please forgive me if I offer an olive branch. This feud between Atheists and Deists is wearing on my mind, for I see it differently than the various combatants. To those who read on, please do not take this as an insult for none is intended. It is merely a point of view, which you can dismiss at will. However, if you can find it in your heart to listen as you read these words, you may find where you are a bit mistaken your absolute views which ever they may be.

First, lets address the deists. Deists come in many varieties, we all know this. What they have in common is their description of their various deities. Included in the Deist category are the poly-deists. They are included because they may have a belief in many deities, the still all have a prime creator, the father of everything, even the lesser Gods themselves. So while they are included, my remarks cater to the prime creator of their pantheon.

What are the common attributes between these deities? Omni-presence, Omni-Benevolence, Omni-potence, this is to say it is everywhere, all good, and all powerful. That is quite a being should it exist. Looking at how far the universe stretches as we now know it, how can one be so sure of its being? How can one be so sure of it's benevolence? How can one describe such a thing if they themselves experienced it? Can you describe those things unseen? Can you find the words that others would understand for that which has not been witnessed yet? No you cannot. Words fail to express such a being. The human mind cannot even rationalise it. We can only try our best to contain it in our meager understanding. We use words like YHWH which means being. We label it I AM because nothing else fits. It is so incomprehensible NOTHING can encapsulate it in our minds. This is the greatness of Deity. It is beyond our comprehension!

Every once in a while this being reveals itself to someone. How it decides is anyones guess, but it does. What do these men have to say about this being when they have been before it? WORDS fail to express it! The Omni-benevolence is more than man can bear! Omni-benevolence, supremely good, supremely loving, how do you put that to words? My God the mere thought of trying should humble any supposed Deist! Have you been looking for it and have you found it?

Unfortunately, the majority of Deists do not come in contact with this being. They rely on the words of other men who have. Men who did their best to explain the experience and share the wisdom with the rest. What do these men relate after their experience? Love! Look at Moses' experience and the Ten Commandments. Can you not see that he did his best to get his tribe to love one another? Not one single malicious commandment is in that code. No not one. We can judge them with our view tainted with what we know now as morality. We certainly treat our women better than the custom back then. But for HIS time, they were perfect!

Thou shalt have no other Gods before me! YhWh - Being. Thou shalt have no Gods before the unknown being. Do we as Deist commit Idolotry? What do we associate as God now? Do we love our books more than our neighbor? Do we love our names more than the nameless? Why have we stopped appreciating the discovery of it? Why have we stopped loving his creation? Why have we stopped loving each other? Why have we stopped loving IT? God is omni-benevolent! Supremely loving and we are his children. If he can love us all regardless of point of view WHY CAN'T WE??

Because we have fallen in love with false Idols. We have forgotten the Supreme Nature of his being. For our ignorance, others are rejecting our doctrines. They are being proven false by the very deity we profess to know and love. Would God create everything in such an intelligent fashion and endow man with the intelligence to see his work if he did not want us to see it? All that is of this being is within us. He reveals it as he sees fit, when we are ready. Where do your thoughts come from? How can we see the patterns of the creator if we are not part of him to understand it? He gives us gifts and we shun them. Worse yet, we hoard them and deem our Brothers and Sisters as unworthy to receive them. Silly Children, God is the father of all! Anything less is not the Greater! What does your prophets say to that!

My Atheist friends, most who proclaim to know God do not. They have been mislead. They have limited that which cannot be limited. They have closed their eyes and their hearts to that which made all. You are right to doubt them. You are right to question them. You are right to continue to look elsewhere. You are wise, but let not your wisdom eclipse your ability to love and to forgive. The words are there in the books that they carry, but they comprehend them not. God reveals himself to who he wants, when he wants. How will you know who has actually seen him? They will love you and wait patiently for him to present himself to you. No man has domain over another's mind. That is Gods domain and he is within you all. He will announce his coming when he is good and ready. When he does, oh are you in for a treat. It will be a little painful. You might experience the pain you have put on others. There will be tears. There will be joy. There will be hope. There will be LOVE.
Do not judge them. They are trying to comprehend something that they cannot.

There is a new wind blowing. That which is all is on the march to reveal himself. Many have already felt his touch, heard his call, been embraced by his love. Many more are coming. Mankind is on the verge of a New Age. Chalk me off as a crazy wild man, call me blasphemer, call me what you will, but be kind. Before it is all said and done all will know me for who I AM.

Love one another, there is no need for the division. Love one another, God will reveal himself to who he chooses, it is NOT your choice. Love one another, love one another, love one another.

I am your Brother
I AM your friend
I AM a Son of God
I AM a King

And all these things so to are you, my family.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Ummmm......Actually.....Gnostic means knowledge....Attaining...Gnosis....is akin to Enlightenment.
So, if Gnostic, means knowledge, then a-gnostic (agnostic), means.....You guessed it.
Seekers after ignorance.....something for you all to ponder.

YouSir

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It's because Atheists have no soul.

They believe in nothing and are not interested in the paranormal or anything like that.

They are evil and have no morals.

Science is their god and they have to rely on science for everything.

Atheism itself is like a religion so Atheists basically are religious.

More people have been killed because of Atheism than anything else ever. FACT!!!

Atheists are secretly devil worshippers who are plotting to kill all Christians.

I could go on and on and on.

These are the kind of ridiculous things that people say about atheists.

Thank you for listening.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

reply to post by something wicked

Originally posted by something wicked

reply to post by korathin

Really? In the past 3-4 months I have seen all sorts of claims against atheists as people. I have seen people call us immoral, racist, dangerous, in opposition to humanity, deceptive, damaging, a d self-centered, amongst other things.

I in fact had filed repeated complaints against a user for spreading a lot of bigotry against atheists to find out that it is ok to make such claims about a group under the T&C.

Can you provide me with evidence that religious individuals are constantly under attack?

edit on 2-2-2011 by something wicked because: biased = bigoted

Wow, you changed a somewhat reasonable word to an unreasonable one.

Thank you for the response. I think you'll find that all the things you say have been levelled at atheists have also been levelled at any other group on ATS, particularly when religion comes to play. The difference being that organised religion can be attacked at a non personal level - atheism can't because it's not an organised group - perhaps some of the comments were against a poster who declared themself an atheist and then made comments that some felt offensive? I cannot speak to this as it's not something I trouble myself with.

I changed biased to bigoted to match your own comments by the way, you've shown in almost every post that it's your way or it's no way - that I do feel is bigoted. Please note I have no need to share with you my race or religious leaning - if indeed I have any. Why is that important? Because frankly I don't care about your beliefs and have no interest in you caring about mine. I guess where ATS is mirroring parts of society - and this does not exclude a lot of people of the atheist persuasion - is the need to show that what you follow, where you were born/live, and specifically on ATS, which conspiracy you adhere to/don't adhere to, give some kind of moral high ground.

Given the number of 'Catholics are perverted', 'Jews are evil Zionists' and 'Muslims are taking over the world' threads, wouldn't you feel a little lonely if you didn't have your own little area to get riled up about?

On a side note, as atheists have clearly no belief in a deity, why do they hang around the religious areas of ATS so much? That isn't directed at you particularly, but it does seem strange, are they trying to convert people?
edit on 2-2-2011 by something wicked because: really not sure why this isn't posting properly

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM
Love one another, God will reveal himself to who he chooses, it is NOT your choice.

How do you know these qualities of this alleged god? Other people say exactly the opposite.

Let's assume that this god reveals himself only to certain people. To employ selectivity in revealing himself makes him cruel.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

And the rest of us Christians have been saying that those predicting the rapture/Second Coming in May will be proven wrong. Those making the predictions aren't trying to mimic the 2012 stuff at all. People have been trying to predict this sort of thing since Christ's ascension.

May will come and go and then the next set of predictions will come up. I'll go out on a limb and say that the next dates for 2011 will be:

1. Pentecost (June 12)
  2. The Day of Atonement (October 8)
  3. Feast of Trumpets
  4. Feast of Tabernacles

This happens every year. It's nothing new.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

How do you know these qualities of this alleged god? Other people say exactly the opposite.

Let's assume that this god reveals himself only to certain people. To employ selectivity in revealing himself makes him cruel.

I know this because I have experienced IT. There is no way for me to convince you. Do not take it on faith. If you want him to present himself to you, be humble, be loving, and be patient. Ask and ye shall receive.

Trust no Man, they are liars. Ask HIM.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 2-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

People using an X in words (Xmas, Xtian) really shouldn't bother any Christian. Why? Christians started using an X (the Greek letter chi) as an abbreviation of sorts because it was the first letter in Christ in Greek (Χριστός).

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Of course, but I wasn't referring to the concept of what 'evangelical' actually means but instead to how people use it.

Well, yes, we do like to promote the idea. But that's not what people mean by 'evangelical' when they talk about atheists. I don't mind people claiming that I like to promote atheism...but I do not like the idea that most atheists just talk about atheism.

And yeah, I don't like the abhorrent behavior of some. Of course, there are 500-750 million atheists in the world, bound to be plenty of disagreeable people.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dickyavalon

Hey look, it's an ignorant attack on a group of people. I mean, are we really more obnoxious than people who obsessively show off their new iPhones?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

How can a lack of belief be a belief? Is baldness a hair color? Does not collecting stamps constitute a hobby? Is getting dressed a striptease?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

You can't "know" it just because you experienced something on a purely personal level. What about those near death experiences? Some are different than others. Some claim to see a light ("heaven"), some describe seeing absolutely nothing at all and others describe floating outside their bodies and looking at themselves. For all you "know", your experience could be explained very simply by a scientific investigation. Have you ever wondered why other people of other religions claim to experience their gods in the same way you supposedly do? You should approach this rationally, not immediately dismissing it and crawling back under your rock. It turns out that if you sincerely believe something, you'll likely "experience" it as your brain is further convinced that the illusions are real. That's called being delusional.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join