It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

How is atheism a belief structure? "I do not believe in any deity" is not a belief structure, it's a skeptical claim with regards to all positive claims of deities.

...awaits the crickets when you fail to answer yet another question I've posed to you.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

If they did I missed the meeting lol. I find it pointless to attack people, you cant make someone else believe all I know is what I believe is true to me. Don't feel offended just know that what you believe (or not) is right for you, trust me I read plenty of mean things from anti-christians but take it w a grain of salt.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware
Survival of the fittest. 99.8% of all species - GONE, exstinct, why? because although beautiful, nature is destructive. Some people want to personify and "worship" that, just like they personified volcanoes etc. The "unknown" or unexplained was anthropomorphized. Disease and natural disaster were punishment.

One of the most profound statements I remember hearing - - by an environmental scientist: Nature Just Isn't That Smart.

Man (human) truly is a parasite on this earth. Only Man (human) can prevent its destruction. Has nothing to do with any omnipotent being.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Double post

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Which is perfectly fine -- there's nothing in Christianity (at least) that says that you have to. That's what the whole "free will" thing is all about. As I've said, time and again, if there is a God, then any problem that you have is between you and he, it's none of my concern.

Incorrect. The biblical god specifically demands worship (or else). He orders all humans to worship him and threatens all "disobedient" humans with eternal torment if they do not comply before they die as "lost souls". Christianity and the bible both claim that you have to do it or else you'll suffer the consequences. They claim that free will is somehow given to humans as a gift, but any decisions made with free will that the biblical god doesn't like are immediately criticized and threats are made. That is infringement of free will and personal rights and it's not justified at all. Anyone who has a problem with this mythical creation (I do) doesn't need to make it between them and the deity because it doesn't exist. There's no communication, no interviews, no telepathic conversations between them, no phone calls, no prerecorded messages, nothing of that sort. If you "feel" it, it's obviously your body. Example: Some cults practiced by tribes in third-world countries hold the belief that medical illnesses are "demonic possession". You can show them all of the evidence that proves it is merely an issue of physical/mental health, but they refuse to accept the evidence and continue with their absurd belief system.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

One of the most profound statements I remember hearing - - by an environmental scientist: Nature Just Isn't That Smart.

That's a brilliant quote
Do you remember which scientist it was?

Although some may state that "parasite" seems dehumanising it seems quite obvious that we are bacteria on a rock, floating through space (or apples growing on the tree of earth - sorry im bad at metaphors! not so profound)

Everyone assumes we are special compared to other animals. Perhaps why some might think the "divine" has created this ready-made earth, with animals as gifts "from above".

But evolutionary biologists can confirm we've had a different evolutionary path (what separates species) and we have become aware at some point, and some how.

One interesting theory of why humans have become "aware" or consciouss is this:

Perhaps you might be interested.

edit on 15/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Which is perfectly fine -- there's nothing in Christianity (at least) that says that you have to. That's what the whole "free will" thing is all about. As I've said, time and again, if there is a God, then any problem that you have is between you and he, it's none of my concern.

Incorrect. The biblical god specifically demands worship (or else).

Well, you clearly don't worship him, so it's pretty evident that you have, and practice, free will. Not sure what's so difficult about that concept.

As I said, if you've a problem with the "or else" bit (which obviously doesn't apply in this life) then you are welcome to argue your case with him if it ever comes up.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

That's a brilliant quote
Do you remember which scientist it was?

It was a long time ago.

Although some may state that "parasite" seems dehumanising it seems quite obvious that we are bacteria on a rock, floating through space (or apples growing on the tree of earth - sorry I'm bad at metaphors! not so profound)

Doesn't bother me at all. I agree with you.

I heard once - don't remember where - - the reason human's have evolved is memory and language. The ability to teach the next generation and learn from knowledge. Animals do this to some degree - - but can't preserve the knowledge.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I heard once - don't remember where - - the reason human's have evolved is memory and language. The ability to teach the next generation and learn from knowledge. Animals do this to some degree - - but can't reserve the knowledge.

Nicely put.

The video i linked you to is one theory of WHY we might have evolved this way. However there could be many more.

Peace

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I don't need to argue my case with a non-existent being. That wouldn't make sense. There's no need for that.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Incorrect. The biblical god specifically demands worship (or else). He orders all humans to worship him and threatens all "disobedient" humans with eternal torment if they do not comply before they die as "lost souls". Christianity and the bible both claim that you have to do it or else you'll suffer the consequences. They claim that free will is somehow given to humans as a gift, but any decisions made with free will that the biblical god doesn't like are immediately criticized and threats are made. That is infringement of free will and personal rights and it's not justified at all. Anyone who has a problem with this mythical creation (I do) doesn't need to make it between them and the deity because it doesn't exist. There's no communication, no interviews, no telepathic conversations between them, no phone calls, no prerecorded messages, nothing of that sort. If you "feel" it, it's obviously your body. Example: Some cults practiced by tribes in third-world countries hold the belief that medical illnesses are "demonic possession". You can show them all of the evidence that proves it is merely an issue of physical/mental health, but they refuse to accept the evidence and continue with their absurd belief system.

Actually if you read the Bible with open eyes it is plain, God aka the Creator doesn't want people worshiping other gods(bad spirits? advanced sentient's from other planets?), fake gods or inanimate objects(idolism). If you actually read HOW God wanted people to worship him, guess what? It doesn't involve giving 1/10th of your income to the Church and listening to a preacher every Sunday morning. It involves giving to the poor. If you took food to a food-bank guess what? You just worshiped God in the manner that your supposed to. Same with donation's to charitable causes(unless you claim it for tax purposes[unless extra revenue realized from tax purposes is also spent on charity).

Even though I don't go to Church anymore(I learned how to read) I donate all my loose change to charity(places around here have money cans for all kinds of different charities so it makes it very,very easy) and from time to time larger amounts as my limited finances allow for.

There is a very good reason why the Church of Rome wanted the Bible in Latin and only the nobility and priesthood to know Latin, because it also contains some of the first forms of "welfare", how the poor are allowed to pick enough food to survive from the fields of the wealthy, would of kind of meant an end to the power structure(food deprivation) of the European nobility/royalty/priesthood that enabled them to treat the whole of the average folk of Europe as slaves for a time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Actually if you read the Bible with open eyes it is plain, God aka the Creator doesn't want people worshiping other gods(bad spirits? advanced sentient's from other planets?), fake gods or inanimate objects(idolism)

So how do you work out the fake Gods?....Considering you can't prove any currently.

Islam states Christainity is the "fake" religion with the "fake God" while Christianity's commandments (1 & 2) state otherwise.

read the Bible with open eyes

LOL
edit on 16/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

The babble is open to many different interpretations. Believe it or not, I've read it with open eyes and what I saw is what I got -- absolute nonsense. Giving money to the poor is not an act of worshiping a god, it's simply giving to poor people. What if another activity you perform every day is called "worship" of another god in another religion? Does it mean you are worshiping that god? No.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
GODS BAD..im not bible buddy but if you think about it god mad all of those fun people like HITLER an
the BUSH FAMILY and the Obama's the devil just puts them to jail...but none of that matters cause hes not real..religious ppl just get mad because they no we are right

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 15FORreal

I'm not exactly Bush's biggest fan, but how can you equate him and his family to Adolph Hitler? Hell, how can you equate the Obama family to Hitler?

Neither of them started a genocide. Only Bush Sr and Jr started wars and neither of those wars was anywhere near as bad as the second world war.

See? This is an example of atheist not necessarily equating to 'rational thinker'. I'm the first one to admit that not all atheists are rational or that they're not necessarily any more rational than the average person.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 15FORreal
GODS BAD..im not bible buddy but if you think about it god mad all of those fun people like HITLER an
the BUSH FAMILY and the Obama's the devil just puts them to jail...but none of that matters cause hes not real..religious ppl just get mad because they no we are right

What

Well - - even if God made people - - he also gave them Free Will - - or so the story goes.

Devil Jail - - hmmmmmmmm - - don't think I've heard that terminology before.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

How is atheism a belief structure? "I do not believe in any deity" is not a belief structure, it's a skeptical claim with regards to all positive claims of deities.

...awaits the crickets when you fail to answer yet another question I've posed to you.

Belief, disbelief, and suspension of judgment are all doxastic attitudes (Doxastic - Pertaining to belief). An Atheist believes not-p. Why is it so hard for you to admit this?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

Because I've actually studied formal logic and I understand that what you said is a load of bull and I can demonstrate my conclusion. This is the opposite of what you are doing, which is merely claiming something without any sort of reasoning of any sort.

Atheism: I do not believe in any deity.

This comes in three forms:

Implicit atheism: Those who have never heard of the concept of any deity therefore are unable to believe in one (these people alone refute the claim that atheism is believing 'not-p' as they don't have any concept of 'p').

Gnostic atheism (a form of explicit atheism): The claim to have an active disproof of deities and therefore no belief in such concept.

Agnostic atheism (the second form of explicit atheism): The lack of belief in any deity due to the lack of evidence in support of any proposed deity.

Of these 3 only Gnostic atheism fits the category of believing not-p. Atheism don't believe p. It's a separate concept.

Why is it that there are so many people out there trying to eliminate the idea of a skeptical position?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by cLOUDDEAD

Belief, disbelief, and suspension of judgment are all doxastic attitudes (Doxastic - Pertaining to belief). An Atheist believes not-p. Why is it so hard for you to admit this?

Believing not is also not believing. Someone who doesn't believe something is not substituting it with a belief, they're just disbelieving it. Stop trying to distort the terms. Rejection does not always involve acceptance of something else.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cLOUDDEAD

You don't believe in flying kangaroos made out of spagetti do you? Of course that's a belief. So what? I'm proud to say i don't believe in that.

edit on 18/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join