It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well look at the atheistic trolling with an open mind. look at all of the threads that have been derailed because of a series of interruptions by atheists and draw your own conclussion after you have stopped being disingenuous! On two occaisions in the last six months I have had to remind certain atheists that the Paranormal board is specifically for non-atheistic discussion.

It is highly innapproriate to be an atheist in the paranormal discussion forum and contribute the most inane of atheistic comments.

Get over yourself.
edit on 2-2-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
To all of those who have despaired of atheistic trolling in areas like the paranormal forum.

Remember the story of the tar baby! Do not engage with them just ignore then and they will go away!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by teotwawki77

Originally posted by teotwawki77
Evertime and atheist crys an angel gets his wings.

Look ma, stupidity!

Please a christian guy did the same thing about people attacking christianity yesterday which happens quite often.

I actually made this thread for that reason. And I pointed out in one of my posts already that atheism is not believing in any deity, Christianity is a system of beliefs.

How can you be an atheist and surf conspiracy websites unless you attempt to debunk someones religeon.

I'm sorry, what? I joined this site a bit more than 5 years ago as a Buddhist. I was interested in looking into conspiracy theories. As a skeptic I thought that the place where I would be most likely to find proof of a conspiracy theory would be from conspiracy theorists.

I think atheists bought the most of the lies and propaganda that the secret societies have been selling over the years.

...le sigh. Like what?

Because you actually believe nothing from nothing makes something.

No, we really don't. Atheism is not believing in any deity. I think you're making the mistake of thinking that the Big Bang theory involves the idea of 'nothing', it doesn't.

History has been changed and distorted by whoever holds a pen and paper tell your friend a true story and tell him to tell 10 people and see what is said when it gets back to you that is history.

What does this have to do with the thread? Why wouldn't atheists acknowledge bias in history?

I can not state the authenticity of the bible there has been historical data to back up times and dates.

No, there hasn't...the earliest confirmed event from the Bible is that King David lived. We have no evidence that anything in the Bible pertaining to anything prior to the life of King David has any basis in history. In fact, we have absolutely nothing in the Bible to confirm the New Testament. We don't have a single shred of evidence of the existence of a man named Jesus/Yeshua/whatever you want to call him.

...the rest has nothing to do with this thread...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Just look at the list I posted of threads attacking atheism...yours aren't amongst them. You're just talking about general concepts, you're not attacking people.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Sooo a bigoted, baseless ad hominem attack on atheists? Wow, I'm so surprised about this.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
[I think this sum's up why I won't tolerate atheist's acting a fool anymore. I don't go out of my way, but if it is along the path I am already traveling why not?
Classic case the atheistic Rules for Radicals. Atheist's pull that kind of garbage all the time like an emotional bully that quickly hides under their mommies coat-tails after they offended someone enough. It is very sociopath like tendency and rubs many people the wrong way. All your doing is attacking people while at the same time trying to make it look like your not. It makes atheist's(as your not the only one doing this) seem like pathetic little weasels, an irritating pimple on the backside of America.

How about you talk about what is "right", what is "wrong" and what you think is "moral" from your perspective instead of trying to tell others what to do or manipulate the meaning of what they believe to use against them.
P.S
When you "turn the other cheek" it means to look your oppressor right in the face no matter how many times they try and slap you down.

Did you read my post? I clearly said it was not referring to all Christians- how is that a vieled attack? Like I said, the majority of religious people are civil individuals- is that an insult? I even said it works both ways, like I've seen in this thread. I think you've misunderstood the tone of my post, I was not trying to manipulate- there is no double meaning to any of my post, it is serious- apart from the "turn the other cheek" comment, which was a joke- hence the laugh (Yes, I laugh at my own jokes.)

Anyway, from my understanding "turn the other cheek" refers to being unconfrontational, although I realise there are several different interpretations- perhaps it does mean to look them in the face, yes- but it doesn't mean to try and shout them down, that's what I meant.

Yes, perhaps I was attacking a select minority's beliefs (not them as a person)- this because it seems highly hypocritical for these select few who deem themselves enlightened, yet spit on those who they feel are worse than them. However, I was careful and specific enough to distinguish between this minority and the majority, as I mentioned that several times.

I was genuinely shocked by the extremity of some individuals- I grew up in the UK, where athiesm/agnosticism is the majority, and I have never seen/heard such statements before- this was not a lie or an exaggeration to try and further 'the athiest cause'.

I don't really know what you mean by your 'cite what is morally wrong/right' comment, I was just referencing posts I had seen here- there was no specific mention of what was morally wrong or right in them. To me, listing what I believe is morally wrong would have been off-topic, I was just citing posts I had read here as an example. I don't remember trying to tell anyone what to do in my post, either.

And actually, I'm not an athiest, let alone a radical one, I'm not American and I am anything but a sociopath, so stop jumping to conclusions. Additionally, I'm not some manipulative little weasel, as you so kindly describe me (thanks)- and I am genuinely here to have a discussion.

One thing you did get right, though, is I don't like offending people on purpose. Yes, maybe my posts do offend people sometimes, but I don't do it purposely. Sometimes it may come across as though I do, but I do not. I apologise to anyone I've offended- I'm only 22 and am still learning- I'm far from perfect, I admit. Offending people purposely is something I deem as morally wrong, btw

I seriously can't understand how you took my post that way, there was no need to judge me after reading only a few words of mine and somehow jump to the conclusion that I'm a manipulative sicko who gets off on vieled attacks. Seriously, did it really warrant such a personal attack from you?

edit on 2-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I wouldn't waste much breath on it, you can't get them to believe in science, they can't get us to believe in their god, end of discussion. threads like this, while being pointless, are merely a quick way to get a high post count thread.

Until I find a religion that doesn't judge me for not believing, I'll pass on that. I'll stick with scientifically quantifiable facts myself. The truth of the matter is, we need confrontational (within the rules) religious types AND confrontational (within the rules) atheists or on-the-fence-ers.

If we blindly follow religion we will not investigate anything, everything is the work of god according to his plan, if we were meant to understand, we would already.

If we view everything from a skeptical standpoint without having a reason to PROVE our theories, we'd equally be in the dark.

Ying, Yang. We need both sides to get to the answers. I don't necessarily condone people hijacking threads, but that's a 2 way street and I can't count the times I've been told my opinion doesn't count because i have no faith. I do indeed have faith, in science.

It's not on the atheists the prove god doesn't exist, it's up to believers to prove he does. And if you want to continue to claim you don't want to convert the masses, then stop interjecting your religious bias into discussions, I'm sure the fellow non-believers can do that as well.

You can say God exists, we can say prove it. We can say see, these specific biblical claims are false. You can say, no, you just need faith.

Where I draw the line in this discussion is Intelligent Design, which is anything but intelligent. We sat back and said, sure, you can force them to call it the "THEORY' of evolution. Now in some places, they won't even touch it, they teach intelligent design as science when it's the complete polar opposite of science.

Religion and science have been diametrically opposed since we invented science. This is never going to change because science is fluid and evolving as we learn more. Religious is based in myth and dogma and has too much invested in this to be able to adapt.

Don't get me wrong though, I watched some discovery or horizon episode and they were talking to someone at the Vatican Observatory, and wow, they are much more scientific and open than most religious posters would have you believe, and are bringing it more into alignment with current science.

Some people have a deep underlying need to believe, and their belief helps them in their lives and no one has the right to tell them it's wrong. And maybe that's the difference between me specifically, and most, I don't look down on you for believing, I look down on you when you ignore science because of that belief. And in my experience online and offline, I have yet to met a christian who didn't look down on me because I wasn't saved. Sure they are nice, I consider them friends. But they make no bones about reminding me I need to accept god or burn in hell for eternity.

Yup, that's a just, non judgmental god if I've heard of one.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
jeffrey dahmer was an athiest and even he found god. just saying since your defending being an athiest and all.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

how on earth does that post contribute to the discussion? It doesn't.

Then again, if a cannibal can find god, what does that say about god? If he repents, does he get into heaven with the rest of you?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Humans have to believe in something. The reason is because the rational mind has limited influence in human behavior. Sometimes, you need to act before figuring out if a certain action is moral and proper or not.

You will find even the most avid atheist has certain sets of beliefs or prejudices before rational thinking.

I would rather attack the Muslim belief system or that of the Hindus for the overall progress of the human society.

If you believe the theory of human mind saying that you become what you worship, worshipping someone who resurrected after being killed of his good act should be the ultimate goal of a good and rational human being, because he/she will become one the same way.

You will probably never know if it will ever happen, but how much superior is this belief system, compared to worshippling the animal (Cow for example) or someone who killed many others in his life time for his own survival (Mohammed for example).

In either of those inferior cases, you will become either a cow or a killer (or similar to that effect) at most.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by korathin

Sooo a bigoted, baseless ad hominem attack on atheists? Wow, I'm so surprised about this.

Do you not think having a link called 'the ignorance of creationists' in your signature is just a tiny bit bigoted? Isn't that and the other links an attempt to force your beliefs on people?

Anyhow, that wasn't the main point of this post. Why do you group atheists together as though it is a group who share a belief? I always find it strange that people have absolutely no shared beliefs (at face value of course, all atheists may enjoy morris dancing for all I know).

Having said that, if you take this site as a whole - please don't refer to a specific area - those who believe in some form of deity/deities are for more the focus of attacks than those who don't.

edit on 2-2-2011 by something wicked because: biased = bigoted

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
Well look at the atheistic trolling with an open mind. look at all of the threads that have been derailed because of a series of interruptions by atheists and draw your own conclussion after you have stopped being disingenuous! On two occaisions in the last six months I have had to remind certain atheists that the Paranormal board is specifically for non-atheistic discussion.

Firstly, what is "atheistic trolling"?

Secondly, why should the opinions of atheists be excluded from paranormal discussions? Particularly when their opinion may be absolutely pertinent and valid to the discussion.

If you want an arena free from public opinion, take it to private messages. In a public forum the opinions of theists, atheists, republicans, democrats, male and female are ALL valid.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsoperfect

Humans have to believe in something.

No they don't.

If you believe the theory of human mind saying that you become what you worship, worshipping someone who resurrected after being killed of his good act should be the ultimate goal of a good and rational human being, because he/she will become one the same way.

You will probably never know if it will ever happen, but how much superior is this belief system, compared to worshippling the animal (Cow for example) or someone who killed many others in his life time for his own survival (Mohammed for example).

In either of those inferior cases, you will become either a cow or a killer (or similar to that effect) at most.

I can't believe how completely arrogant this is.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Firstly, what is "atheistic trolling"?

Secondly, why should the opinions of atheists be excluded from paranormal discussions? Particularly when their opinion may be absolutely pertinent and valid to the discussion.

If you want an arena free from public opinion, take it to private messages. In a public forum the opinions of theists, atheists, republicans, democrats, male and female are ALL valid.

Stop being silly . Do you have a definition of an "atheistic"?

Do you know the definition of "Trolling"?

Well you get the two definitions and put the "atheistic" definition in your mind and the put the definition of "trolling". I am sure that you will get the sense of what I meant.

Regarding the Paranormal forum kindly remember that i do not make the rules. Take it up with the owner of this site or the appropriate mod. It doesn't really matter, as I will be soundly ignoring people like you as is my prerogative. I suggest that you deal with it as my time is precious.

Sadly atheists need believers more than believers need atheists. Atheists have nothing to offer as any fool can say "I do not believe" or "prove it".

edit on 2-2-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by tiger5

Xtians is not a word. The word is Christian. If you do not believe or do not care that is your business, but don't take Christ out of the word.
Does it hurt you to even spell out Christ?
I haven't seen any attack on atheists threads yet and I was just looking. There are however plenty attacking Christianity. We will believe what we do, and you will believe what you do. At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

Cjristians isn't a word either!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

reply to post by tiger5

At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

So what if some people 'don't care' to ponder the origin of life? It's something that most likely can never be proven to earth dwellers, so why waste so much time and energy debating about it? We should spend more time worrying about the very obvious, concrete problems that humanity currently faces.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by NonKonphormist

reply to post by tiger5

Xtians is not a word. The word is Christian. If you do not believe or do not care that is your business, but don't take Christ out of the word.
Does it hurt you to even spell out Christ?
I haven't seen any attack on atheists threads yet and I was just looking. There are however plenty attacking Christianity. We will believe what we do, and you will believe what you do. At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

Cjristians isn't a word either!

How many hours did it take you to think up that studied response??

So what if some people 'don't care' to ponder the origin of life? It's something that most likely can never be proven to earth dwellers, so why waste so much time and energy debating about it? We should spend more time worrying about the very obvious, concrete problems that humanity currently faces.

If you do not wish to ponder the origin of life that is your right to do so and I support that. All I ask is that people do not keep jumping in trying to derail threads of those who choose to ponder the origins of life.

Why are you preaching that people should be spending time worrying about the concrete. Can you now see the evangelical nature of your thinking?

How do you know that people do not ponder both. People can be surprisingly multi-valent even if you may not be so. For the record I have worked with Madness in my soul d to counter creationism.

People are more complex than you can imagine so perhaps you should watch your assumptions.

edit on 2-2-2011 by tiger5 because: change a word

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by fianna
jeffrey dahmer was an athiest and even he found god. just saying since your defending being an athiest and all.

He was also mental, so Jeff finding "god" was not really a surprise, was it?

Come to think of it, quite alot of prison inmates "find" god, especially the ones doing long stretches.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

People are more complex than you can imagine so perhaps you should watch your assumptions.

edit on 2-2-2011 by tiger5 because: change a word

You say that after saying no atheists should be allowed in the paranormal forum? Atheism and spirituality aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. A person can totally disregard any possibility of god, and still believe in other paranormal events.

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise to any grammar Nazi's for misspelling the word "atheist" several times in this thread

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

It took me about an hour and a half to fink it up, I'm a bit fick, but I can lift heavy fings.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join