It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Good. Tell the other moderators to revoke my complaint then since it was not needed. Remember, I didn't accuse you of threatening. I merely asked if you were and took action, just in case.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
I can't prove that I'm not your friend?! This changes everything. Let the debunking begin!

First of all, I refuse to be your friend and I do not consider you as such and I never will. You can label me as your "friend" all you want, but it takes two to make a friendship, therefore I am not your friend and you are definitely not my friend. It takes two people for a relationship to exist, not one. Your assertion is a major error that needs to be revised. If you have any clue how relationships work, you'll understand (hopefully) why neither of us are friends and never will be. With that being said, I will repeat this once more: I am not your friend. I have the right to not be your friend and that choice is mine, not yours. You do not choose whether I am your friend or not. I don't care about you and I can honestly say that I hate you.

No worries my friend, I never asked you to reciprocate. As a friend, my hand is always extended should you need it. So, long as you do not, you are always welcome to consider me anything you like. You are creating your own beliefs and you are free to do so.

If you should need a friend, I am here and will still be considering you my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
Why are you saying this? I already made it clear that I'm not interested and I never will be. I don't need friendship with christians because I despise them. I have friends of my own and one of them is laughing as she reads your replies. I don't need you. Seriously, I really don't. To me, you're not that great. Save it for someone else who is actually interested because I definitely am not.

With hate,

Your non-friend

Your in luck my friend, I am not a Christian! LOL. Anyway, a wiseman once said one can never have too many friends. Regardless, I am not asking you to be my friend. You are free to make up your own mind. You cannot however make up mine. I will always consider you a friend. It is a belief. I can no more change your beliefs than you can change mine.

I apologise for the inconvenience. That is life living in a world where all can form their own beliefs. It is the free-will science has given us.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

You believe in the biblical god and jesus, but you're not a christian. What are you then? It doesn't matter. You're similar to one then since you share the same belief system. That doesn't change anything. This thread is way off topic now anyways and I'm done with it. OP (madnessinmysoul), I apologize for contributing in taking your thread off topic. Would anyone else like to apologize for it as well? IAMIAM? Xtian Voice?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

Please keep things civil.

Conversation moving forward should be about the topic and not about fellow members. Continuing with this sort of posting will result in warnings being handed out by staff.

GENERAL CIVILITY
Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

Thank You.

ATS Staff

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The God Delusion

Food for thought, A .pdf book from Richard Dawkins

A great friend of mine gave me this book last year, great read for all free thinking intellectuals.

There is No Name For My God.
J Turner

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My guess is that they're the folks on the other side of the coin from the rabid atheists who take every opportunity to attack religion and declare spirituality evil. Both sides of that coin disgust me. It's one thing to be sure of one's opinion; it's entirely another to be an arrogant tool about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I need some links to those threads because I did not notice any threads that were created just to attack the atheists.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I believe that it was on page two of this thread that the OP was asked to list the threads in question.

It seems that there weren't any of the threads in question on the first page of CiR at the time of the posting.

I'm a bit surprised that it was enough to warrant it's own thread, to tell the truth. Christians (or other theists) slamming atheists is the flip side of the coin where atheists interject in threads involving Christianity to make comments about 'your imaginary friend in the sky' or referencing zeitgeist.

If a thread is started by a Christian that slams atheism but doesn't involve a conspiracy, it should be deleted or moved. If an atheist jumps into a thread to comment on how Christians are delusional when that wasn't the topic (which seems to happen quite often) should have their posts deleted.

Two sides of the same coin.

Eric

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by tiger5

Xtians is not a word. The word is Christian. If you do not believe or do not care that is your business, but don't take Christ out of the word.
Does it hurt you to even spell out Christ?
I haven't seen any attack on atheists threads yet and I was just looking. There are however plenty attacking Christianity. We will believe what we do, and you will believe what you do. At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

"Xtian" is simply a bit of shorthand that is similar to "Xmas". I am not an atheist nor an insane skeptic! Now go back to my thread and read the first line before your fire one off!

edit on 2-2-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Am i the only one that comes to these threads just to laugh at the absurdity of it all? Seriously, threads like this never cease to bring me much amusement. Thanks for that guys

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Did the Christians on this site have a secret meeting at a Church and agree to start attacking atheists and atheism? Seriously, the majority of active threads on the topic in the last 5 months were started by Christian theists attacking atheists, and the threads by atheists only seemed to have popped up in response.

Is there a more cogent conspiracy to suppress non-believers? I mean, the conspiracy is there. In fact, the stated goal of almost every religion is to convert, thus suppressing skepticism.

No, any appearance of a "group effort" is a coincidence. Over the last year atheist's all over the net and in our day to day lives have just annoyed, harassed and bullied us too far. Atheist's have become the new Jehovah Witnesses in many respects(with a dash of Mormon arrogance and a hint of Scientology ridiculousness).

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticalBeliever
I've only been on this site a short while, and I have to say I'm shocked (slightly naive, perhaps) at a minorities extreme views on athiests/agnostics. I always thought Christianity taught you weren't supposed to judge others, but I've seen a select few who seem to be the polar opposite of this.

The thing which annoys me the most, is, as I've seen on this site on a couple of occasions, when religious individuals state that athiests/agnostics have no morals whatsoever, as they believe there is no higher power, so they deem themselves to be their own god, and as a result think they can do whatever they want. Honestly, one of the most ridiculous assumptions I've seen/heard in my life. How can you be so short-sighted so as to judge a group of 100s of millions instantly and think every one of them is alike? I've even seen people blame athiesm for crime, for basically the same reason as previously stated. As if noone ever committed a crime in God's name?

Oh well, as others have said, it's swings and roundabouts. No doubt a lot of religious individuals feel they are unfairly persecuted on here from time to time, so it works both ways.

I think all athiests/agnostics should take Jesus' advice, and turn the other cheek- something which a few Christians seem to forget
Don't think I'm bashing everyone who is religious, the majority are civil people- just there is a minority who seem to come across as very hypocritical.
edit on 1-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

I think this sum's up why I won't tolerate atheist's acting a fool anymore. I don't go out of my way, but if it is along the path I am already traveling why not?
Classic case the atheistic Rules for Radicals. Atheist's pull that kind of garbage all the time like an emotional bully that quickly hides under their mommies coat-tails after they offended someone enough. It is very sociopath like tendency and rubs many people the wrong way. All your doing is attacking people while at the same time trying to make it look like your not. It makes atheist's(as your not the only one doing this) seem like pathetic little weasels, an irritating pimple on the backside of America.

How about you talk about what is "right", what is "wrong" and what you think is "moral" from your perspective instead of trying to tell others what to do or manipulate the meaning of what they believe to use against them.
P.S
When you "turn the other cheek" it means to look your oppressor right in the face no matter how many times they try and slap you down.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Evertime and atheist crys an angel gets his wings. Please a christian guy did the same thing about people attacking christianity yesterday which happens quite often. How can you be an atheist and surf conspiracy websites unless you attempt to debunk someones religeon. I think atheists bought the most of the lies and propaganda that the secret societies have been selling over the years. Because you actually believe nothing from nothing makes something. History has been changed and distorted by whoever holds a pen and paper tell your friend a true story and tell him to tell 10 people and see what is said when it gets back to you that is history. I can not state the authenticity of the bible there has been historical data to back up times and dates. Freemasons, Illuminati, and Rosicrucians know the mysteries of the bible and science some are mystics some are agnostics and some have higher intellectual learning of math and science back to the 1700,s. When all truths come to light if we are still alive then atheists can say I told you so but if we are on the other side I will say I told you so. Lets just say religeon in general 7 billion chinese people are wrong no form of God the entire history of civilized man is wrong prove it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I didn't say in Conspiracies in Religion. Most of them are in Religion, Faith, and Theology.

reply to post by Blue Shift

"Atheists can't prove a negative"

...there is no burden of proof to prove a negative. In fact, a negative is a counter-claim to a positive. If nobody claimed the existence of a deity there would be no negative position.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Originally posted by tiger5
As a pagan I find the OP comical. The Atheists have been on the attack.

As a poster on ATS I find this statement to be unfounded. Please, provide evidence.

Man up! This is ATS. I think evangelicals be the Xtian or atheists are a pain in the neck.

Please prove the existence of evangelical atheists.

Anyone offering unsolicited preaching or inappropriate scepticism runs the risk of being bashed.

Inappropriate skepticism? I'm sorry, but where and when is it inappropriate?

WE know atheists do not believe in god. End of conversation. Why go attacking those that do who have no wish to convert anyone.

Except that some people happen to think that isn't the end of the conversation...

I am happy to have the evangelical atheists slug it out with evangelical Xtians. I will bring wine and bars snacks.

No such thing as an evangelical atheist...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Originally posted by Christian Voice
I haven't seen any attack on atheists threads yet and I was just looking.

You must not have looked very hard...threads active since the New Year:

In Religion, Faith, and Theology:

The Origin of Atheism (153 posts)
Atheism's Missionaries (194 posts)
A Question for Atheists (14 posts)
What are atheists thoughts on quantum mechanics? (83 posts)
The Disingenuousness of "Weak" Atheism (115 posts)
The truth about athiests (13 posts)
Atheism is a Cop-out (181 posts)
Are Atheist Arrogant (275 posts)
The arrogance of the atheists (182 posts)

There are however plenty attacking Christianity.

But there's a huge difference. Atheism is a single skeptical position, not believing in any deity. Christianity is a whole host of varying beliefs and practices, some of which can be considered insane (creationism, believing in Noah's flood), bigoted (beliefs about homosexuals), etc...

An atheist is anyone who doesn't believe in any deity, what is there really to say about that?

We will believe what we do, and you will believe what you do.

We don't believe...that's sort of the point.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ShogunAssassins

No, last time I checked it was the believers (in both conspiracy and in religion) who consider themselves awake. We just don't believe in any deity.

Though I think Condemned0625 was right that the May 21st prediction might be the source of great laughter on May 22nd.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Le sigh...

Agnostic: I don't know
Atheist: I don't believe in any deity.
Gnostic: I know
Theist: I believe in at least one deity.

Agnostic atheist: I do/can not know, I do not believe.
Gnostic atheist: I have (or think I have) definitive knowledge of the nonexistence of deities)
Agnostic theist: I do/can not know, I still believe
Gnostic theist: I know my deity or deities exist.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join