What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
I would introduce to you my argument for the nonexistence of universally established laws/rules for morality, but it's quite lengthy. I'll save it for another time.

I was going to bow out to the inane until I read this. Would you care to take this to the Debate Forum? Will this be that other time?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The bashing comes from both sides. And it's ridiculous. Neither side can prove their point. That's why it's a belief. Why not spend your energy on important issues like the economy or teen pregnancy instead of attempting to prove your own beliefs?

Ya really think so? Lets deal in facts. First off Atheism is not a belief.

Go count the threads with Atheist in the title.

How many were started by Christians?

How many were started by Atheists to provide factual information.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

And what did those movements do for society today? Not much. Crime is still very popular and has been more popular than ever. It's so popular that somebody could make a trend out of it.

You have little faith which only tells me that you have had more than your share of suffering in this world. I do not judge you my friend. I have enough faith for the both of us.

I have no need for faith. My life is based on knowledge, evidence and reasoning. This statement of yours is extremely invalid due to the fact that I cannot possibly have more than my share of suffering. That's like saying "You have more food on your plate than what is on your plate." By the way, I'm not your friend.

With Love,

Your Brother

Don't make me gag. This is sickening.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Lets deal in facts. First off Atheism is not a belief.

Prove it then.

Go count the threads with Atheist in the title.

Whatever. I just see the posts of both of you believers, nasty and the only thing I came out with that was that "turn the other cheek" made the most sense. Doesn't prove god to me but, hey, that little bit of logic made sense.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I can prove that right here, right now.

Atheism - 1. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
2. rejection of belief in God or gods.

Done.

edit on 2/1/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

A dictionary reference proves nothing to me. Prove god doesn't exist.

Done.

You are certainly on your way to that category.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Did the Christians on this site have a secret meeting at a Church and agree to start attacking atheists and atheism? Seriously, the majority of active threads on the topic in the last 5 months were started by Christian theists attacking atheists, and the threads by atheists only seemed to have popped up in response.

Well, beats me?
Keep in mind that especially born-again Christians need to try and convert people, so that they are "saved".

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Is there a more cogent conspiracy to suppress non-believers? I mean, the conspiracy is there. In fact, the stated goal of almost every religion is to convert, thus suppressing skepticism.

No, just plain proselytism (trying to convert someone to your faith). Of course, how else do you expect to be saved?
"Believe and don't question!" very old Christian credo.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Was simply reading until this. Reference Russell's Teapot. Or maybe the dragon in my garage (if you prefer something more up to date).

The burden of proof lies with you. If you understand the concept of Occam's razor you already know why.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Noncompatible because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I thought you can't prove a negative?
That's why I am agnostic!

Done.

You are certainly on your way to that category.

There is a category "done"?
edit on 1/2/2011 by WalterRatlos because: fix quotes
edit on 1/2/2011 by WalterRatlos because: (no reason given)
edit on 1/2/2011 by WalterRatlos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible
If you understand the concept of Occam's razor you already know why.

Sorry, I don't buy into any philosophy that doesn't include logic. Logic is what rules.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalterRatlos
I thought you can't prove a negative?
That's why I am agnostic!

BROTHER! That's the total point. Thanks for pointing it out.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Is that a threat? If you're threatening me with "You are certainly on your way to that category", you better have a good excuse for it. I filed a complaint on that post just in case, although it may not matter anyways since you're a moderator and they might just let it slide. We'll see.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

And what did those movements do for society today? Not much. Crime is still very popular and has been more popular than ever. It's so popular that somebody could make a trend out of it.

Well India became a free and independant Country with little blood shed. Thats more than I can say about Americas beginnings.

While there is still a racial divide in this country, segregation is non-existent, the vote is no longer held by those with the "right" skin color, and lynchings and hangings are not a regular occurrence. So, while it is not perfect, the power of peace has done wonders for some people.

I have no need for faith. My life is based on knowledge, evidence and reasoning. This statement of yours is extremely invalid due to the fact that I cannot possibly have more than my share of suffering. That's like saying "You have more food on your plate than what is on your plate." By the way, I'm not your friend.

I am not asking you to consider me a friend. However, I have a right to consider you anything I wish to. My mind is my domain just as yours belongs to you. So, I will consider you a friend regardless of if you consider me one. You never know when you will need someone, even if just to vent on.

Be well my friend.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 1-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

At least atheists will believe and Cjristians will believe, but agnostics I don't get. You just not to believe one way or the other, like you just don't care one way or the other.

Your attitude here reminds me of this:
www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-2-2011 by joechip because: trying to figure out the vid...probably didn't

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

If you're such a good man, then realize that calling me your "friend" is offensive and also makes me laugh at such nonsense. If you're such a good christian, refrain from calling me your friend and brother. If you don't stop, you're continuing the offense and violating your belief system. Hypocrisy doesn't hide from me that easily. I see it when it's there.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

If you're such a good man, then realize that calling me your "friend" is offensive and also makes me laugh at such nonsense. If you're such a good christian, refrain from calling me your friend and brother. If you don't stop, you're continuing the offense and violating your belief system. Hypocrisy doesn't hide from me that easily. I see it when it's there.

I am sorry but I cannot lie. Just as I cannot prove that God exists in your mind, you cannot prove that you are not a friend in mine. It is called belief. The offence you feel, if it is genuine, is your own making. It resides in your mind and is not my doing. I am sorry that it is there, but I cannot do anything about it as long as you keep me at a distance.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Is that a threat? If you're threatening me with "You are certainly on your way to that category", you better have a good excuse for it. I filed a complaint on that post just in case, although it may not matter anyways since you're a moderator and they might just let it slide. We'll see.

I meant your argument, not your account. Jeez, lighten up.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

I can't prove that I'm not your friend?! This changes everything. Let the debunking begin!

First of all, I refuse to be your friend and I do not consider you as such and I never will. You can label me as your "friend" all you want, but it takes two to make a friendship, therefore I am not your friend and you are definitely not my friend. It takes two people for a relationship to exist, not one. Your assertion is a major error that needs to be revised. If you have any clue how relationships work, you'll understand (hopefully) why neither of us are friends and never will be. With that being said, I will repeat this once more: I am not your friend. I have the right to not be your friend and that choice is mine, not yours. You do not choose whether I am your friend or not. I don't care about you and I can honestly say that I hate you.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible
If you understand the concept of Occam's razor you already know why.

Sorry, I don't buy into any philosophy that doesn't include logic. Logic is what rules.

Umm, William of Ockham was a logician. His maxim is the very expression of logic. So if logic rules for you I suggest you research it.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I don't care about you and I can honestly say that I hate you.

OK, I'm out. I can't debate with................ won't say. Against the T&C.

Edit to add: The reader sees.
edit on 1-2-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join