It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by zombiesC4

Any study into religious knowledge shows that atheists are more knowledgeable on general religion than people who are actually religious. Please, demonstrate how atheists don't know what they're talking about.

I really think that will depend on the people who form the survey pool, and if the questions are to 'general' religion (which is what, exactly? Any particular faith?) or theological in nature.

As atheism is not an organised group then there is hardly required reading matter on the subject - people have an interest in theology and gain a knowledge..... or they don't. Are atheists more likely to read into theology? I personally i would think some would, some wouldn't. I know you (or someone) on this thread may now point to an ATS thread on this very subject based on one survey - I think that proves the results of one survey.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
In my experience, it's almost always the atheists attacking religion. Generally, the religious are far more tolerant outside of the extremists. I'm far more likely to be lectured by your average atheist than your average religious person.

I don't believe any religion is right or wrong. Most religions are right in their own way, it's the blind loyalty to a single book that's the issue. I personally dislike the personification of God. However, I can't respect the shallow mind of an atheist. To honestly believe that not only is ALL life completely pointless, empty and random, but to have the ability to believe that the entire universe was created out of a random explosion that appeared from nowhere - and to then say that a higher power cannot exist because you can't see it (and basically come out of nowhere) - is incredible hypocrisy. So the entire universe and creation of life can be created out of thin air, but a higher power can't create something out of thin air? WHAT?

The most annoying thing about atheism is the blind faith in science. So, instead of putting your faith in a man in a white robe who preaches his interpretation out of a book, you...put your faith in a man in a white labcoat...who preaches his interpretation...out of a book...yea...so...I guess atheists are just like the very religious - blind faith in man's interpretation of events?

IMO, a higher power clearly exists. That doesn't mean our interpretations are correct. To a cockroach, we're a higher power - an omnipotent God. I believe life is not random chance. Call it what you will, but the morals instilled by religion and spirituality are priceless.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by lowki

Originally posted by lowki
You could say that Atheists are heavily science-fearing individuals blinded by their faith *shrugs* it's more or less the same.

I'm sorry, but science and faith are mutually exclusive.

not at all,
you have faith in science.
You believe in what science tells you.

Belief is any thought you hold in consciousness,
especially those you re-visit and reinforce.

Science also is a priesthood,
much like freemasonry there are three degrees,
Bachelor, Master, Doctor,
and there are high-priests which spread the faith
called teachers or professors.

Atheism has nothing to do with science! It has to do with philosophy.

Science is a child of Philosophy.
Much like Buddhism is a child of Hinduism.

Anyone that knows Quantum-Physics delves into the realm of magic,

...no...anyone that thinks quantum physics delves into the realm of magic has no idea what quantum physics is.

So you've never seen The Secret,
where by Quantum-Entanglement (magic-spells),
and Observer Bias (allowing things to appear), we shape our experience.
Then how can you claim to know quantum-physics?
If you don't apply it in your daily life?

anyone that delves into M-Theory must admit to spirits,
or dimensional co-existing entities.

I'm sorry, but the existence of 11 dimensional spacetime doesn't necessarily imply its inhabitation by entities. Hell, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of what could exist in those other dimensions, if anything exists at all.

Actually If you look at any of the theories,
you'll find that there are infinite worlds,
that can even have us in them, with slight variations.
but considering they are infinite, it's just about anything.

Furthermore, M-theory still exists in the realm of competing theories. It isn't necessarily proven, though the experiments at CERN might shed light on it.

Physics hasn't had a testable theory in over 70 years,
since the birth of String Theory. *shrugs*

As steven colbert calls it,
"numerical masturbation"

If they don't then they haven't applied the science to their own lives.

...I'm sorry, but you don't seem to understand science.

You the one that does not apply science to daily life.

Is telling me, a person that does apply science to daily life.

Just think about it, I'm a scientist, since I apply the Scientific Method.

Hypothesis, Procedure, Result Analysis.
And I write down my experiments.

Once you open yourself up, to what's going on in your mind,
then you become free, able to think for yourself.

I'm sorry, but how is 'accepting claims without evidence or understanding or reason' opening yourself up?

I'm not sure what claims your referring to.

Is your mind making claims,
and you're denying they are valid?

Able to transcend the boundaries set by book-religions and materialist-atheism.

Atheism is not inherently materialist. I am a materialist separate from my atheism.

Really so what Immaterial or Spiritual things do Atheists believe?

As user autowrench aptly put it in the inner-theism thread

Let me break it to you gently, friend, when one becomes a Mystic, religion and the dogma thereof slips away, and fades into a past that is soon forgotten. I think, in fact I strongly believe this is available to each and every individual soul on the planet. It is simply a matter of time before more and more pick up on this. It is called Ascension.

Wow, that's a silly statement. It's just an unsupported assertion.

It's supported by the experience of many thousands/millions of Mystics.

I'm not sure you've heard, but there is this going around called the Awakening.
The materialist half of it is realizing the powers that be,
Though the spiritual half is also present.
Ya maybe you'd like to look it up...

here is the original thread, contrasting outer-theism with inner-theism:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: original thread

Tis a silly thread.

You didn't even look.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5

Originally posted by mr-lizard
The natural order of the world is atheism

Our ancestors were natural atheists as are new born babies.

IS that why they all had shamans, Holy men and a plethora of gods. Prove your statement please.

Do you think shamans, holy men and gods existed before non-belief?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

reply to post by tiger5

I'm sorry, but where's the evidence of H. Habilis, H. Erectus, A. Aferensis, or any other pre-H. Sapiens Sapiens having any form of religion?

And all babies are atheists, as I proved above via syllogism.

Thank you, a degree of intelligence

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

The reason why is being an atheist is a freaking joke
If there is nothing to live for after life, what is the purpose of living?? Nothing happens when you die, come on!! I hope you all are the first to burn up in flames in hell.

What's the point of living if a supreme deity decides you weren't good enough and thus must spend eternity in limbo or hell?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by lowki

Anyhow, you're focusing on only a small part of the spells I cast, a large bulk of my magic spells were dedicated to getting a perfect partner. And she is way better than expected, which was also defined.

Hey I'm all up for an online experiment, I've asked this of xtians many a time but get nothing but BS excuses (I got a book full), so how do you fancy casting a spell for me ?

lol no that's impossible.

It's your body, I can't infringe on your free will.

I can only show you the way,
but you must walk yourself.

I'll make it easy, you seem to be adept at the perfect woman thing and by sheer coincidence I could well be in the market for one and my budget won't stretch to a ticket to Thailand at the mo.

So you fancy having a crack then ?

Please, feel free to study magic,
and then properly cast your spells.

I would suggest getting a journal for casting spells,
starting up a meditation routine,
and practicing with smaller spells.

You can start now,
writing down what qualities you like in females.
As well as what qualities they like about you.
A great time to cast for good looks, brains and all that.

While I was casting,
many females hit on me,
and displayed themselves.
one fem told me how she was usually lesbian,
but for me she'd be a bisexual.
another spent several hours showing me nude pictures of herself.
others would come by the temple, smoke with me, or even give me marijuana.

I just wasn't satisfied with them,
so edited my spells accordingly.

Hi, just out of interest, why do some people on here use the phrase Xtian? Do you have a problem with someone named Chris? Surely you need to also remove the 't' also if you wish to indulge in such games?

Well maybe they don't like the Anointed One reference,
which refers to people getting oiled up,
just like little boys would be Anointed in Greek Gymnasiums,
before being sodomized by their Philosopher teachers.
edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: quotes

edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: spells

edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: your own attractive qualities matter

edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: nude pictures, offerings

edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: I show, you walk

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

The reason why is being an atheist is a freaking joke
If there is nothing to live for after life, what is the purpose of living?? Nothing happens when you die, come on!! I hope you all are the first to burn up in flames in hell.

What's the point of living if a supreme deity decides you weren't good enough and thus must spend eternity in limbo or hell?

Hey Mr Lizard, what's up?
Don't you like the homeland?

Lost your zeal for the Draconian Empire?
Come on, admit it, it was fun! ahaha
mmm, skewered screams,
with a side of agony.
Carnivorism.

I'm vegan now,
but still.

You're Mr Lizard!
Reptilian pride yo!

reply to post by tiger5

I'm sorry, but where's the evidence of H. Habilis, H. Erectus, A. Aferensis, or any other pre-H. Sapiens Sapiens having any form of religion?

And all babies are atheists, as I proved above via syllogism.

Thank you, a degree of intelligence

Actually many cats are known for seeing spirits.
So there you go, even animals are spiritual.
edit on 3/2/11 by lowki because: reptilian pride

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

They will say Christianity is stupid but they don't have any evidence to back it up why they said that (by the way I'm not christian)

A chrisitian will often take the word of another man who who may have died a thousand or so years ago, without leaving any trace of himself, on blind faith , without requiring a shred of corroborating evidence nor skeptical inquiry.

That my friend, appears to be the height of stupidity.

Insisting or depicting human beings happily cohabiting the planet with the dinosaurs takes stupidity to the level of retardation.

Obviously you have an issue with one faith in particular, does it spread to others?

Please share any collateral from a non fringe aspect of any religion that shows humans happily cohabiting the planet with dinosaurs please - would be interested to see it, but remember, non fringe only please.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
No...the Greys have informed all of the intelligent people that Atheists are all wankers...
That in fact there is a God...and he doesn't think the atheists are cool...that's why there was this meeting of all the intelligent peop....Oh...You weren't told about......Hhhmmm....never mind...Forget I said anything....

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Le sigh...

When studies have been performed in the west, it is shown that most atheists have a greater knowledge of both Christian theology and history than their religious counterparts.

If I were to say Christianity is stupid, I can actually back it up with argumentation and evidence.

Now, can you provide me with evidence that shows that most atheists who claim that Christianity is stupid are doing so without evidence or proper argumentation? If not, I will dismiss this claim.

Now you are actually starting to be a little silly. What theories? How large was the survey pool? What were the questions asked? Why have you focussed on Christianity? Would another monotheistic religion have produced different results? Define why Christianity is 'stupid' - define stupid.

Look at this thread, I have seen several atheists describe atheism in different ways when really there is only one - refusal to take faith alone as a reason for acceptance (although one atheist then went on to say how they were sure of the existence of ET life and was very specific about it - faith?). That's fine, I may or may not be of the same thought, but please, it's an opinion that some people have. That doesn't make it a movement of like minded people with a common purpose which seems to come across as a perception a lot over the last few pages.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Re Disillusioned_Youth

You wrote:

["The act of trying to "disprove" someone's BELIEF is rooted in a deep insecurity of your own worldview."]

Pop-psychology probably originating from the 'bad potty-training' theory (which by itself is questionable).

Quote: ["If atheists are so convinced that God (or gods) doesn't exist, then why try to condescendingly "disprove" something that can never be satisfyingly PROVEN?"]

Is that what you believe is happening? Try read the thread again.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by AllIsOne

Yes, people can be spiritual atheists. Spiritualism does not assert the existence of a god and it doesn't need to. Atheism rejects the belief in gods only.

Not trying to stir the pot, but I don't understand your statement. Can you say in your own words what your definition of God and Spirituality is? I know you're an Atheist, but in order to get there at one point you had to define what you don't accept to be true.

Thank you for your time.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

They will say Christianity is stupid but they don't have any evidence to back it up why they said that (by the way I'm not christian)

A chrisitian will often take the word of another man who who may have died a thousand or so years ago, without leaving any trace of himself, on blind faith , without requiring a shred of corroborating evidence nor skeptical inquiry.

That my friend, appears to be the height of stupidity.

Insisting or depicting human beings happily cohabiting the planet with the dinosaurs takes stupidity to the level of retardation.

Obviously you have an issue with one faith in particular, does it spread to others?

Please share any collateral from a non fringe aspect of any religion that shows humans happily cohabiting the planet with dinosaurs please - would be interested to see it, but remember, non fringe only please.

Well science shows humans co-habitating with dinosaurs, it's in the fossil record.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Some people believe in spirit, but don't believe in any gods. One belief i can think of of the top of my head refer to spirit as energy, like qi for example.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Re ChocoTaco369

You wrote:

["In my experience, it's almost always the atheists attacking religion. Generally, the religious are far more tolerant outside of the extremists. I'm far more likely to be lectured by your average atheist than your average religious person."]

The forum-clashes are usually between invasive evangelists and atheists. In my experience atheists don't attack live-and-let-live christians.

I live in a very secular society, where christians' social positions and enlistment in egalitarian society is completely established. As long as they don't transgress lines on 'special privileges', no christian persecution takes place.

Quote: ["...... entire universe was created out of a random explosion that appeared from nowhere - and to then say that a higher power cannot exist because you can't see it (and basically come out of nowhere) - is incredible hypocrisy. So the entire universe and creation of life can be created out of thin air, but a higher power can't create something out of thin air? WHAT?"]

Obviously you haven't understood the basic points of this thread. No positivist proofs of non-existence of 'higher powers' have been presented. The option of such 'higher powers' is open, but requires evidence, before it can be accepted by atheists.

A more specific argument is, that even if such 'higher powers' existed, how can their nature be decided. So many contradictory theist claims have been made, that the 'theo-identification' methodology clearly must be trash.

Quote: ["The most annoying thing about atheism is the blind faith in science."]

Please rephrase that argument into something semantically meaningful. E.g. where 'faith' is defined precisely intrinsically and in context.

Quote: ["So, instead of putting your faith in a man in a white robe who preaches his interpretation out of a book, you...put your faith in a man in a white labcoat...who preaches his interpretation...out of a book...yea...so...I guess atheists are just like the very religious - blind faith in man's interpretation of events?"]

You don't have a clue about how science functions, do you. The agreed-on basics of science (not theories under scrutiny) are NOT a question of 'interpretation'. That's the way theism functions, not science.

Quote: ["IMO, a higher power clearly exists. That doesn't mean our interpretations are correct. To a cockroach, we're a higher power - an omnipotent God. I believe life is not random chance. Call it what you will, but the morals instilled by religion and spirituality are priceless."]

We all have opinions on this or that. Formally that's called 'subjective'. Logic and science are formally 'objective'. If you want to question this distinction, you'll have to establish an epistemological platform, from where you can start. Such a legitimate discussion already exists, but on a competent level.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Re AllisOne

The problem is semantic. 'Spirit' and 'spirituality' are some of the most misused terms concerning the 'invisible' part of existence. They can mean practically anything from an individualized part of an entity to non-mundane theistic concepts.

A good way to avoid confusion is to relate to 'beings' 'inside' or 'outside' creation.

Fairies, ghosts, djinns, ETs etc can be 'inside' creation, part of the universe though of different construction than mankind; sometimes being invisible.

'Gods' are usually supposed to be 'outside' creation (though not in buddhism).

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by Condemned0625

There are more senses than sight and sound. Faith is the belief in something you can't see or hear or smell. You just feel it. So, friend, we have faith in God because to us we feel his persence everywhere. I see him when the wind blows through a tree, when a child is born, every morning I wake up and see the sun. God said that Noah saved the animals so we as Christians believe and that's it. If you choose not to believe then don't, but don't hate us because we do. You never know, if we met on a plane or were neighbors you'd be surprised and might just become my friend afterall. I'm a physical phitness nut, I fish, play tennis, was a Geology major in college, was in the USAF, ran a Boy Scout Troop for 12 years, but just because I have a belief system that centers around an omnipotent God you hate me? Well I don't hate you.
Absolutely incorrect. Faith is the belief in something without evidence. If you don't believe it, look it up in the dictionary.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

You know why I'm sure? Because it's mathematically impossible for other civilizations in the universe to not exist. I'm talking about real places (exoplanets) that are constantly being found by astronomers almost on a daily basis. Try counting all of the galaxies in the universe and then come back to me when you have a number and try to tell me that other civilizations don't exist. I don't need physical evidence for something that is much more possible and obvious than gods and angels.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

God - A supernatural deity that, in most cases, claims to have sovereignty over humanity but totally lacks evidence for its existence. (My definition)

2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of islam.

3. ( lowercase ) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.

4.( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.

5. Christian Science . the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.

6. ( lowercase ) an image of a deity; an idol.

7. ( lowercase ) any deified person or object.

Spiritualism - the belief or doctrine that the spirits of the dead, surviving after the mortal life, can and do communicate with the living, esp. through a person (a medium) particularly susceptible to their influence.

2. the practices or phenomena associated with this belief.

3. the belief that all reality is spiritual.

4. Metaphysics . any of various doctrines maintaining that the ultimate reality is spirit or mind.

5. spiritual quality or tendency.

6. insistence on the spiritual side of things, as in philosophy or religion.

There, happy? It should have been obvious to you what I was talking about.
edit on 2/3/2011 by Condemned0625 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join