It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Um...no, there is a taker. His name is James Randi and he has a million dollar prize for anyone that can prove such claims, which I'm guessing is more than your salary for 18 months. Now, I'd like to know exactly why such conditions have to be met. Why would it take up to 18 months? Why would you and I both have to take time off of work?

And why the hell should I have to pay your salary? You would be providing proof of something currently unknown to science! You would make millions off of this claim if you ever proved it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Creationists are trying to get their views taught alongside science. I will only attack them for their dishonest tactics and demonstrated ignorance. If they don't use a dishonest tactic or demonstrate ignorance or do anything else that is worth attack, I will not attack them.

Unfortunately, creationism relies on dishonest tactics for proliferation. I mean, how many damn times am I going to have to see people distorting Darwin's statement on the evolution of the eye?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
If you're such a good man, then realize that calling me your "friend" is offensive and also makes me laugh at such nonsense. If you're such a good christian, refrain from calling me your friend and brother. If you don't stop, you're continuing the offense and violating your belief system. Hypocrisy doesn't hide from me that easily. I see it when it's there.

I just wanted to make a brief apology to you before I leave this discussion. You were right, I should not have called you friend if you did not desire it. What the word means to me, may not be the same as what it means to you. I was hung up on my meaning, and never took into consideration what the word meant to you. I am sorry for causing any offence.

Be well.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

When studies have been performed in the west, it is shown that most atheists have a greater knowledge of both Christian theology and history than their religious counterparts.

Yes I believe that you are correct but have not proof so perhaps you may wish to censure me. Given the zealous nature of certain atheists I can believe that they would research their topic thoroughly.

More power to them for doing so.

It is not just the atheists that do this it is anyone that really wishes to understand the opposing team and gain the upper hand in an argument. Sometimes I despair as to the ignortance of the Xtians but I also rejoice when I find a worthy debating foe.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by Annee

I'm sure there are other civilizations out there that have figured out that religion is BS. I'm also sure there are others that are at different stages of development. Example: Exoplanet 1 is in the stone age and conceptual belief systems are the primary contents of thought. Exoplanet 2 is in an age similar to ours and hasn't quite grasped the fact that evidence for religious beliefs is entirely absent everywhere. Exoplanet 3 is thousands of years ahead of us and is completely religion-free, along with many benefits from superior technologies and superior understandings of reality.

So yeah, if the opportunity ever arrives and it's worth it, go for it. I'll see you there.

You are sure of those things without any empirical data to back them up and (at this point in time) no way to prove the things you say you are sure of? Yet at the same time you mock people who do exactly the same thing, even though followers of religion based faiths would say proof is not required.

It's interesting how you pick and choose the faiths you follow but have a problem with others doing the same thing.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Disillusioned_Youth

We don't...we attack specific absurd claims. Religions have had...well, more than a few thousand years to prove the claim that at least one deity exists. They have yet to provide anything approaching near compelling evidence. Why should we bother disproving that which is asserted without evidence?

Instead we attack the specific absurd claims. Like that the Bible is inerrant when it is actually contradictory. We attack creationism, homophobia, misogyny, and the like in religion. Those things are still valid targets regardless of the existence of a deity.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

I'm sorry, but how is H. Erectus 'non-human'? "Human" in the strictest sense doesn't mean H. Sapiens Sapiens. That's just the common use of the word unfounded in actual scientific exploration of human ancestry.

Neanderthals: also human (different branch of humanity), though probably not our ancestors.

And the thing is that everyone in this thread used to be an atheist and was so for at least a few months.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

We have evidence of tribal cultures on this planet that have no form of religion, no concept of deities, no afterlife, no spirits, no supernatural at all. These are 'primitive' isolate cultures.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You see nothing is really what it seems to be, people
claim
to be a lot of things they really are not.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by tiger5

Um...no, there is a taker. His name is James Randi and he has a million dollar prize for anyone that can prove such claims, which I'm guessing is more than your salary for 18 months. Now, I'd like to know exactly why such conditions have to be met. Why would it take up to 18 months? Why would you and I both have to take time off of work?

And why the hell should I have to pay your salary? You would be providing proof of something currently unknown to science! You would make millions off of this claim if you ever proved it.

Err just about. I have written to James Randi twice as I could do with maybe half a million but never received a reply. I think he is another rude windbag with nothing gto back up. I know of two other people who he is ignoring.

It takes 18 months of training . Consider your time of work as an extended career break. The simple fact is that if anyone wants proof they should get up off their buttocks and explore. I have my proof I merely want the querent to get theirs. Remember I have my proof and I am happy. My training my rules if you don’t like it the door out is open. This may sound harsh but that is exactly how I learnt what I am willing to teach be it applied spirituality or martial arts.

I do not think I could make millions as I can only see shifting sands of scepticism before me. Given the metastudies of published scientific papers that have been done proving psychism have not made the sceptics (most of whom do not have higher degrees in science) change their blanket denials I cannot see either me or the newly converted querent making the millions you suggest.

The reason I feel is that sceptics and atheists have an emotional stake in their stance that is irrational in that no proof is acceptable. I f you do not believe me then look at the complete ignorance as to the metastudies I mention.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

We have evidence of tribal cultures on this planet that have no form of religion, no concept of deities, no afterlife, no spirits, no supernatural at all. These are 'primitive' isolate cultures.

You have dodged the central tnet of my point. Can you prove that your ancestors did not have religion? However do you have a reference for these isloated cultures mention? i.e. proof? Also are you saying all isolated cultures have no concept of deity, afterlife etc?

I am not arguing I may be able to learn something.
edit on 3-2-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

reply to post by tiger5

I'm sorry, but how is H. Erectus 'non-human'? "Human" in the strictest sense doesn't mean H. Sapiens Sapiens. That's just the common use of the word unfounded in actual scientific exploration of human ancestry.

Neanderthals: also human (different branch of humanity), though probably not our ancestors.

And the thing is that everyone in this thread used to be an atheist and was so for at least a few months.
I see your point. Can you prove that they had no religion, spirituality afterlife etc???? What do youknow of their outlook?

The awareness of religion and the spirit world probably began at the time of the Upper Palaeolithic Revolution, about 50,000 years ago. Again my point is your ancestors would have likely had religion as did mr lizard.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

The reason why is being an atheist is a freaking joke
If there is nothing to live for after life, what is the purpose of living?? Nothing happens when you die, come on!! I hope you all are the first to burn up in flames in hell.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
For what it's worth, my take on the whole Atheism/ Theism debate goes a little something like this...

I, like many other Atheists, started off as a Theist.
Not through choice, but by indoctrination by my parents, school, etc.
Then, at some point I got brave enough to actually listen to what these people were saying and to question them.
Their answers didn't add up, they were uncomfortable with being questioned, this made me suspicious.
I then started to look at the whole thing from a much more objective point of view and the rest is pretty much history.
The whole house of cards collapsed.
This was such a liberating experience, I felt that I was leaving a mountain of baggage behind.
I, like most Atheists, see wonder and awe in everything around us, from the invisible micro world, to the vastness of the universe, we want to understand it, we strive for answers.
In our search for answers we have eliminated many things, we know the world didn't come about after a cow licked a rock, rational thought illiminates that theory, it also illiminates all the other religious theories, no matter how much some of you want, or need to believe, that doesn't make it any more plausable.
I believed in santa for about probably about six years of my life, give or take, I believed with my whole heart, my whole being, that he was real, but no matter how much I believed, it didn't alter the fact that he wasn't real.
When I found out that it was all a con, I was sceptical for a little while, but then I accepted that it was mum and dad all along and then moved on with my life. I still enjoy my life without belief in santa, and I still enjoy xmas.
I do get frustrated with theists, I probably shouldn't, and I know there have been times when I have been down right obnoxious towards some of them. (I'm sorry to all of you on ATS that I have offended).
I so want us to move forward as a species, none of us know what this life is all about, but it is in our nature to try and work it out, but we have to be grown up enough to be able to let go of outdated temporary solutions, only then will we be able to move forward.

Peace.

edit on 3/2/11 by NonKonphormist because: to do editing type stuff

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

If there is nothing to live for after life, what is the purpose of living?? Nothing happens when you die, come on!! I hope you all are the first to burn up in flames in hell.

Very Xtian of you.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by lowki

Anyhow, you're focusing on only a small part of the spells I cast, a large bulk of my magic spells were dedicated to getting a perfect partner. And she is way better than expected, which was also defined.

Hey I'm all up for an online experiment, I've asked this of xtians many a time but get nothing but BS excuses (I got a book full), so how do you fancy casting a spell for me ?

I'll make it easy, you seem to be adept at the perfect woman thing and by sheer coincidence I could well be in the market for one and my budget won't stretch to a ticket to Thailand at the mo.

So you fancy having a crack then ?

Hi, just out of interest, why do some people on here use the phrase Xtian? Do you have a problem with someone named Chris? Surely you need to also remove the 't' also if you wish to indulge in such games?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

I will counter that stupidity with this:
Theists are total jokes. While you are busy, following a huge outdated work of fiction, I am actually living life to the fullest. I am experiencing as much as I can while I am alive, because I know there is no magical eternity waiting for me. It is easy to waste your entire life, when you think you have magical forever waiting for you when your life is over.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

All I have to say is listen to Dane Cook standup Vicious Circle, that is exactly what I hope happens to atheists, and it is one of the best lines I have ever heard.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by lowki

Anyhow, you're focusing on only a small part of the spells I cast, a large bulk of my magic spells were dedicated to getting a perfect partner. And she is way better than expected, which was also defined.

Hey I'm all up for an online experiment, I've asked this of xtians many a time but get nothing but BS excuses (I got a book full), so how do you fancy casting a spell for me ?

I'll make it easy, you seem to be adept at the perfect woman thing and by sheer coincidence I could well be in the market for one and my budget won't stretch to a ticket to Thailand at the mo.

So you fancy having a crack then ?

Hi, just out of interest, why do some people on here use the phrase Xtian? Do you have a problem with someone named Chris? Surely you need to also remove the 't' also if you wish to indulge in such games?

What's the problem with Xtian?
You know what it refers to.
Then what's the problem?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

The x replaces the criss(like criss cross) sound. Xian would be pronounced crissian. Does that make sense to you? xmas works because the t is silent in christmas for some weird reason...

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join