It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Yes and I admit I'm at the source of all the wickedness.

I'm sorry, I really dont think this is the case at all and think you might be reaching just a tad. I'll look to see if you compiled a list at least. If not, could you do so at last.
edit on 1-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Nerbot

Don't worry about it. It means they are worried and on the ropes.

Worried and on the ropes?
Nerbot,I know you jest.

Intrepid

The bashing comes from both sides. And it's ridiculous. Neither side can prove their point. That's why it's a belief. Why not spend your energy on important issues like the economy or teen pregnancy instead of attempting to prove your own beliefs?

So you think everyone should spend there time the way you want them too.
Oh I hope you never gain office my man.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

The two terms relate to each other in no way. One "denies" the existance of God or a God, while the other just has no idea whatsoever. Two totally different ideals, denial, and unknowing.

Atheism: Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists

Agnosticism: Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the similarities or differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

Indeed.

Gnosticism/Agnosticism = What you know.

Theism/Atheism = What you believe.

I don't believe any person or any scientist has an understanding of the cause of reality (yet). Like them, i would agree that i am agnostic in that sense.

I'm a gnostic atheist towards man made religion because of the above. I know that no man could claim to know the thoughts and desires of the diety if they cannot prove the Deity itself.

And I understand of ancient man's need to anthropomorphise what they don't understand (i,e, the unknown) - Whether it be a volcano, earthquakes, disease or even reality itself. We need to drop the irrational immature metaphysical beliefs.

To prove Christianity, you would have to prove:=

a) A supernatural deity exists

b) All the dogma of a particular Christian demonination is true and correct, and all the morals are thereby right and absolute (homosexuality is a sin - heaven - hell etc. etc.)

Personally, even if it were true, i'd still resent the religion and the deity behind it.

Peace comrades and brothers. It's nice to read like-minded opinions - I feel the minority is growing

A&A
edit on 1/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

There is a difference between knowing and believing. You say you don't understand agnostics, as they have no belief, unlike athiests or religious people- that is not true, an agnostic can have beliefs- they just don't KNOW whether their beliefs are correct or not.

It's possible to adopt a belief, but realise it's just a belief, and accept that it is fallible. Personally, I'd say I'm an agnostic thiest- I do believe a higher power exists, but looking at my beliefs in as impartial a manner as possible, I realise that I can't know whether my belief is correct or not- I'm not that arrogant.

(Thread slightly de-railed, sorry.)
edit on 1-2-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Intrepid

The bashing comes from both sides. And it's ridiculous. Neither side can prove their point. That's why it's a belief. Why not spend your energy on important issues like the economy or teen pregnancy instead of attempting to prove your own beliefs?

So you think everyone should spend there time the way you want them too.
Oh I hope you never gain office my man.

Maybe you should look into what Einstein says:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

www.brainyquote.com...

Hey, spend your energy as you see fit. In this case all it is is verbal masturbation.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

No, Satan does not exist. I knew someone like you would assume such a thing just because I like pentagrams. I like Satan because he's better than the biblical god, but neither of them exist. Your "messiah" in the fairy tale is performing magic that is completely impossible. This is the same magical nonsense that you see in Hindu texts and the koran and every other superstitious religion. Evidence and knowledge are superior to beliefs. You have fallen for a scam and bought what it is selling without any evidence to support it. If it offends you so badly that us atheists have pointed out the major flaws in your belief system, deal with it and go whine about it elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

1) Create deity. Create opposite deity

2) Create rules, morales and rituals to follow.

3) Treat Non-believers or disobedience to the religion as "evil", immoral and a worshipper of Anti-God.

4) ?????

5) Profit?

LOL - Jokes aside, this is the kind of non-sensical duality religion causes. Fundamentalists keep insisting that Atheist's swear allegience to Satan and keep telling them "We don't believe in freaking deities, this includes Satan"

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Madness my friend, if I have caused you to feel under attack with any of the threads I have started on the subject of Deity, please accept my most sincere apologies. My intent has always been to share my view in hopes that others would only catch a glimpse of the Majesty I see all around us. It has never been my concern to explain God, for what I see as God is far beyond words for me to express. The best I could ever hope to do is let his light shine through me. If I failed in that in anyway, I am sorry and I beg you to forgive me in my errors. Understanding God is never my domain to impose upon others. My only purpose is to show his grace, his love, by loving all.

It is no wonder to me that those who reject God, reject him so ferociously. What have his followers shown as proof? More wars have been started in the name of God, more people have been oppressed, more people have been imprisoned through out the years, more money has been made and squandered, more children have been left starving or fatherless, more division, hate, and discord has been sown into this world all in the name of God. It is MADNESS! All the while his many followers whether they be Christian or Mohamedan, Budhist, or Jew, Pagan or Celt, have rejoiced in the blood, death, destruction, hatred, and discord proudly proclaiming THEIR God is the God of Love and Peace. Madness indeed!

I do not blame one single Atheist for their disbelief. No, I applaud them! In renouncing the madness that encircles our globe you have been stalwart stewards of honesty. You have called out in truth that there must not be a God if it is to be judged by its followers. You have suffered ridicule, scorn, and hatred by those who know God only by words written in a book by Men who have stood before the Heavenly father. Men who have shown the grace of God. Men who have suffered persecution, who have stood on the pillar of truth, who have rebelled against tyrants and humbly whispered "God is Love". Men who did not preach that there was a God, but rather showed the light of God through them by loving their Brothers and Sisters. By being men of truth, and humble.

I do not blame you one bit my friend. I only hope that I have never ever misrepresented God in anyway that would lead you to think that Love does not exist in my heart for all. This is the grace of God, and I hope sincerely that I have at the very least demonstrated it to you in our discourse. If I have not represented myself as loving you and been truthful with you, please let me know. I will endeavor to mend my ways that one day, just perhaps, you might see the light of the loving father shine forth through me.

I am your servant.

With Love,

Your Brother

edit on 1-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I love it when Xtians accuse atheists of attacking them. Some of them do the same damn thing to atheists, attacking them and telling them they're going to suffer from eternal torment in a superstitious place that can't possibly exist. If I was a god, I would send all Xtians to hell forever. Yeah, I removed his precious name from the word, Xtian Voice.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Hehe i agree but i woudn't wish hell on any person (if it existed) It's the worst metaphysical construct of fear man has ever created - It is hypocricy of the worst kind, if only they'd just act like the Christ they hype up so much instead of acting like typical religious zealots.

What about deathbed conversions? I don't imagine any moral Atheist would try to convert someone on their deathbed. Yet it is seen to be moral by a Christian to try and do so.

OP: Why did you create this thread!? I won't stop ranting now.

edit on 1/2/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
Some of them do the same damn thing to atheists, attacking them and telling them they're going to suffer from eternal torment in a superstitious place that can't possibly exist.

OK.

If I was a god, I would send all Xtians to hell forever. Yeah, I removed his precious name from the word, Xtian Voice.

You just said that place couldn't exist. I see this as part of the problem, not the solution.
To quote Bill Shatner, "Get a life." His words, not mine.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
check out yesterdays posts, OP. someone else felt the same sentiment, but about people attacking believers.

i can't help but notice how many posts on ATS are just nicely worded trolls skirting around the mods warnings with gentle phrasing.

thats a shame because people who come here to learn just get turned off and go away. keep in mind how bizarre most of the things on this site are when viewed by a clear head who wants to see what others have to say about being prepared, current events, politics and such. finding good sane advice on the internet is hard enough. sprinkle a few decent posts in a haystack of threads that are the equivalent to a subscription to the National Enquirer and what have you got? serious people leaving in droves while knuckleheads and trolls pretty much run the show. Just like in real life!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I expect to get my post attacked, but let's be candid and answer the question honestly.

It is reactionary event to the combined comments of atheists at ATS being more aggressive. In fact in my first couple of years at ATS I never even bothered with these topics. Then I personally got tired of serious topics being derailed by atheist trolls coming into threads talking about a magic pink unicorn farting the universe into existence in a absurd hyperbole, comparing it to God creating the universe, that's when I decided this rhetoric needed to be countered. I imagine other posters that are people of faith feel the same way.

As has been posted there are some missionaries of the no God/Creator theory at ATS, if you act like a missionary be prepared to be treated like one, from those that disagree with you. Your advocating a theory, not just holding it, is what disturbs the believers with faith. I know it's a double standard, but you don't have any direct orders from a higher being to advocate your belief structure. If you do it, you do it, because you just want to. Christians know this. Of coarse those that do this will say that are tying to educate ignorant Christians or other people of faith. I must admit I have learned much in the discourse, it has been an educational process for me. But you can't educate faith away with just science, there are some brilliantly intelligent people that believe in a creator. Why? Are they ignorant, no, they just have faith. There are some brilliant atheists too, either they lose faith or they never had it, they are not ignorant either, but have made a philosophical choice really, one that lacks faith.

As for the morality of atheists they may be better than a christian or worse, they simply make up there own rules as they go along. Actually there are times when atheists do better than Christians because their God given conscious is actually working, even though they would vehemently deny it. Whereas a christian might just say oh well Jesus will forgive, and they go ahead and do whatever. An atheist doesn't have a level of accountability that will either absolve them of sin, or condemn them of sin, except for themselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I was being hypothetical. If I was a god (if gods were possible), I would send all Xtians to hell (if it existed) forever. -_-

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

No your absolutely correct. Satan is just a like catch all phrase. How ever there is a group of alien/fallen angels whatever you want to call them, that took this planet and possibly the universe or part of the universe over.
Also there are no talking snakes(the Hebrew is "nacash" or upright shinging or glowing reptile creature no talking snakes) in the bible and so on.. It's simply peoples ignorance to the depth of what took place a looong time ago... I'm a believer in a manifested creator. I don't believe in telling people there going to hell or anything like that it's just absurd to claim God loves us and yet wants to kill us? Doh. The creator left us a story that tells us that these aliens took the man spirit and placed is spirit inside a carnal flesh being.

It's a DNA war and it's always been a DNA war! It's a bunch of religion that has messed up the story. But the story is the same where ever you look. That God became a man because EVERYTHING in the universe must give something to receive right down to particles giving off electrons and trading charges etc.. For the Record I hate religion it makes me sick! Also for the record I'm extremely into science and I have studied some very deep science and I have studied occult teaching and understand so much about hidden Egyptian tech that I have only posted on the matter once out of fear for my life basically. Back to the story. OK if you had a Sim game that you actually used a part of your soul to create beings then gave them freewill and then along comes some of your pals that helped you create this Sim world, and they turned on you and created new beings mixed with animals and then on top of that used some of them to start your own type of Sim being and used them as containers, what would you do? Would you not say I will become one of them and go down there and tell them I love them and that I was going to set things right one day. As the beings who would you know to trust? The aliens? The Creator? So the Creator fashions his story out of pure love so that you will know... but then a bunch of religions idiots come along and make it sound all fantasy like and gag on a maggot and swallow a camel.. Don't get me started.. So basically in my view atheist are simply shallow. I'm sorry if that offends but it's just simply the truth.. What sad is most of them think they are so deep quoting science and all.. It's a joke. All the true high and hidden sciences revolves around loving energy and the realization that we are all like a little God experience himself through each of us.. And one day those who embrace this love will live on... those who don't will simply die.. Isn't that what was said in the garden that man sinned and would die?

Nothing about hell .. just die.. so we all talk about ascending but only few of us really know what it means. Now do you want to align yourself with the true loving creator and live forever? Or would you prefer to just live your life and die and go back to the earth? For me it's an easy choice. It feels so good to love people and to abide in the loving energy. I know that I am eternal. I have had experiences that are just over the top.. Stuff only monks have mentioned and not just a couple goosebumps. So over look the religious idiots and just look around. Something is going on and it sure is Good vs. Evil. The world is polarizing quickly. Take your side, I know I have. Oh and sorry for the wall of text. I'm in a hurry.

To the O,P. sorry but I don't buy it I do see people defending faith alot self included but I have never made a post attacking an atheist thats to me is the dumbest thing in the world hehe so PROVE IT! Point us to these threads I want to see it. What you can't cuz your full of it.. that's why

Firegoggles

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Alright oh angry one, let's try this:
My "belief" is that God does exist, as well as Satan, but that is my belief. I cannot prove that God exists, but I believe with all of my being that there is a God and that I was created and therefore not just a cosmic chance happening. So given this, I say that I believe that there is a God, and you say, not that you believe that there is no God, but that there is in fact no God. So, I ask you to prove to me that there is no God. If you can present proof positive that there is no God then I'll renounce my entire belief system.
Thing is that you can't prove that there is no God. You only have your opinion or belief. Same as I.
But for someone that does not believe in God or Satan, you seem to surround yourself with Satanic things. Your Avatar, and on your Avatar you've got HELL on earth written. Do you believe or not? Because if you believe in Satan then you have to know that God exists as well. That's like saying "I believe in daylight, but not in darkness"
Also,,, if you do not believe in God or Christ, then why does it bother you so much to use his name?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by firegoggles

So, basically you make up your own ideas about God as you go along? You've got me very confused with this whole rant you just posted. Just so I'm on the same page, let's see,,,, you took the God of the Bible and turned him into whatever you want from him right? Even though God states that the Bible is his word. I just don't get it. If you don't like what God is or who he is according to his word then find another God to believe in, but don't pervert the scriptures to "create" your own version.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
I was being hypothetical. If I was a god (if gods were possible), I would send all Xtians to hell (if it existed) forever. -_-

I think you could be a god. You've got malevolence down to a science. Seems to me that what most beliefs, and Atheism isn't excluded from this, are based in malevolence. Thank you for making my point. Btw, I'm agnostic.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I just told you that I don't believe in the existence of Satan. What, am I not allowed to like dark and Gothic things of a Satanic nature? Doesn't mean I believe he exists. I admire him as a character of fiction, not literally. I do find it fascinating that this so-called "evil" character kills only a small handful of people compared to the biblical god's kill count.

God - 2,270,365+ killed (not counting the others that weren't mentioned)

Satan - 10 (part of a bet that god allowed to take place)

Source: www.rationalresponders.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
One more thing I'd like to add. People are obviously more than capable of believing in whatever they want to. I understand believing that your beliefs are right and others are wrong. What I can't understand is alot of folks on here find it so hard to believe in God or even a God, some even seem to find the idea offensive, but for some reason can believe in shape shifters, reptilians, aliens speaking to us through dreams, and so many other conspiracies.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join