It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a recommendation for a tomahawk and survival knife.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I don't have a ton of money to spend on either and I know they both range from high to low in price, but I don't want garbage either. I have looked at many online but I would like a recommendation from those with experience. Basically I will be using both this summer when I go on a kayaking/camping/fishing expedition into the Adirondack mountains plus other times when I'm out in the woods.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
You want an actual "Tomahawk" or a hatchet/axe?

And a survival knife....that could mean a lot of things - can you give us a clue as to what type you are looking for?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I would like an actual tomahawk, I've seen some that can be used for all around purposes such as hammering a stake or chopping small pieces of wood. I have an axe for camping purposes but it's rather large and want something smaller and lighter. As far as survival knife, I'm not looking for the Rambo type, but something I could use God forbid I would ever get lost or separated. No cell phone coverage is available so I would be on my own.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
For a survival knife I would look at the Esee RC-5. The things a beast!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

Let's see a cruise missle and a survival knife.
Kidding. I like the balance of a Vauhn shake axe, wood handle.
Just a little practice you can gain the accuracy with all the distance and rotation speed ratio you will need to make as perfect strike 85% of the time. I used to roof houses everyday with one. I still have it mastered. Great for knock down and knock out power. Soak in oil to secure the wood handle to the axe. Let someone else give you the knife.
Best tool for an outdoorsman. Lightwieght.
SnF for having the resolve to come here and ask.
edit on 1-2-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Cold Steel do some nice tomahawks at sorta reasonable prices, I'm happy with my commemorative USMC Operation Iraqi Freedom Ka Bar for a knife, ultra sharp 7in carbon steel blade leather washer style handle, I believe standard ww2 pattern, got it off ebay brand new with sheath for £25.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Introducing the Pathfinder Scout Hawk
www.youtube.com...
$100

Pathfinder Knife
blindhorseknives.com...
$275

a little cheaper

Ka Bar BK2
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1296605478&sr=1-1
$58

Cold Steel Trail Hawk
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1296605516&sr=1-3
$27

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks brother , I will have a look. I figured I would get the best answers coming to this forum and so far it's working.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

I think I came across that knife in my search, but I believe it wasn't the Iraqi freedom model.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
well.. as for the tomahawk, i cant help you.. the knife i have is a 12" blade, seratted, hand gaurded, hollowed handle (handle is 6" long by 3" dia)...total length 18"... built in compass (caps the handle).. fishing eye on the guard.. i have the handle packed with 15' of line/hook.. waterproof matches, "quick start fire chips"... ( 4 small pieces, like 1"x 1/2").. and small magnifying glass.. hope this gives you some input... peace...oh ya... wished it fit a beer in it!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zestor

Cold steel was one of the websites I had looked at but I wasn't sure of the quality, but they do look nice.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I personally don't care much for smaller hatchets or tomahawks. If I need to hammer something, I'll find a rock. If I need to cut wood, I'll break branches - if the wood is too big I use the Gerber Pack Saw. I've found that saws are much more efficient than swinging a hatchet. If you had a full size axe, I'd go with that but that's too heavy for packing in.

As far as survival knives go, you want a bad ass knife go with SOG S37. It's not cheap, but it's not ridiculous, but it's tough as nails, and has a serrated section which comes in handy all the time.

I like the BK7 & BK10 knives because they are tough and cheaper, but they don't have serrated edges, so it's kind of a deal breaker for me.

edit on 1-2-2011 by harrytuttle because: typo

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I really wouldnt waste my time with a "tomahawk" If you want something effective for the woods get a hatchet/ax with multi use blades.. If you want a decoration only a white man would us next to his fireplace, get a tomahawk.
edit on 1-2-2011 by ShogunAssassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

one word Gerber,not the baby food the knife maker, excellent set, i had the tomahawk knife set the knife was in the handle, www.gerbergear.com...
click on gear and there you go

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Greetings Johnson;

I've done allot of research and for the knife I would personalty go with this.

www.knivesplus.com...

I have read the reviews and watched to videos, this is one tough knife. You need to put a edge on it more frequently, so get one of these.

cgi.ebay.com...

Might not look like much, but they work great!

As for the tomahawk I like this one.

cgi.ebay.com...

You have to finish it out, but its bullet proof, and cheap for what you get. It might be to heavy for you, if so try this.

cgi.ebay.com...

Hope that helps. Watch your top knot pilgrim. LOL!!!

trinity369

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I wanted a Ka Bar and that one was going cheap, unlike the actual operation, on Cold Steel's site I like the Vietnam tomahawk, they've also got some good knives.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I forgot to mention - if you MUST get a tomahawk thing, this combination hatchet/saw is the way to go - Gerber Gator Axe II - it's pretty inexpensive and super versatile ($49 USD)

edit on 1-2-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out with your feedback. I will take a look at all of your recommendations and feel free to add should you have anymore. This is what I like about ATS, I can always get the info I need from members.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I would recomend a a K-bar. They are tough, realiable, hold and edge well, and can do everything from help you skin a deer, to building a shelter. If I could afford it, I would invest in a good pocket knife, or a quality multitool, either leatherman or gerber. It doesn't have to be the biggest, baddest boy out there, but a couple of extra blades, and awl and screwdrivers could come in real handy.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Some of their stuff looks really good for the price and they do make the two handed battle sword that is the real deal. lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join