It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Military Satellite: Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Missing Military Satellite

hisz.rsoe.hu

RSOE EDIS is reporting an "Event into Space" and lists the country as "Other".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hisz.rsoe.hu

Related News Links:
Reuters
edit on 1-2-2011 by Dendro because: added url and title change

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The RSOE EDIS site has recently come to my attention and I like to check it out occasionally and I was wondering if anyone else does and if it's an acceptable source of information, because any country missing a military satellite doesn't sound promising.

Sorry to Mod if I posted this in the wrong forum, first time starting a thread.

hisz.rsoe.hu

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro

The RSOE EDIS site has recently come to my attention and I like to check it out occasionally and I was wondering if anyone else does and if it's an acceptable source of information, because any country missing a military satellite doesn't sound promising.

Sorry to Mod if I posted this in the wrong forum, first time starting a thread.

hisz.rsoe.hu

I check RSOE EDIS occasionally and I do think it's an acceptable beginning point of information. Probably not source info though because they usually take blurbs from news article around the world. What I do is try to find the original article by googling keywords from their details tab.

Now, I'm off to try and find what they're talking about with this one...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It was a Russian satellite (supposedly) for mapping purposes - as an answer to the GPS system the US has. They have lost 3 thus far that have crashed into the sea.

The article below id's it as a Geo-IK-2 - the same type that RSOE is reporting. Given this and the dates - I'm thinking this must be it.

Russia loses military satellite: reports

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russia's top military and space official launched a search Tuesday for a missing military satellite that apparently was put into the wrong orbit shortly after its launch.

The Russian defence ministry confirmed that it had lost sight of the craft -- a dual-use vessel that can draw a three-dimensional map of the Earth and locate the precise positions of various targets.

The incident came just a month after President Dmitry Medvedev sacked two top space officials for a similar setback and delivered another humiliating blow to Russia's much-maligned space industry

Not looking good for the Russian answer to the GPS.

edit on 1-2-2011 by Frogs because: added more info

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Well , in answer to your questions about legitimacy and so on, plenty of people have used this site to give a fast and detailed account of the specifics of a scenario, like death toll, population of affected area, local facilities of a nuclear nature, and so on. This helps us asses the situation very fast, rather than finding out all those little details in several places , which takes time. It basicaly helps us out because we can get to the issues faster, when the facts are all layed out for us.
The only thing is, although its much faster, and more efficient, the ability to search for and collate data from several different sources on a subject is important, because it prevents ones perspective becoming narrow on a subject, especialy if you get your news from several differently politicaly aligned sources.
But in terms of the RSOE site, I have never heard it bad mouthed for unreliability , and its a great place to start research from, because it shows you the incident, the general overview of it, the numbers that matter, and whats in the area. From there you can research all the bullet points it basicaly provides you with , and expand on those points.
However dont be tempted to just post up stuff you find on there without doing that research . Go out and find some linked stories from different sources if you can. If you cant, then sure, post the incident, but then keep an eye out for updates and media recognition of the event so that you can observe the reactions of the media ( which are also interesting sometimes, and sometimes you will just go WTF when you see some of the things they come out with in response to bad news).
All in all though, its your posts. You put in them what you like as long as T&C allows it buddy !

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Oh oh!.....that's no good at all. Destroyed by E.T? ....good job then.

If that thing re-enter to atmosphera, what a mess.

Good job OP.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Thanks, a few moments after I posted the thread I went to Google News and found a little more about what was going on. I'm going to edit the thread to better reflect that.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Same source

The GLONASS system, seen as a rival to the U.S. global positioning system (GPS), has been personally spearheaded by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

I hope Putin can find it....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b709ab19ac52.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 1-2-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Already posted

Event Into space. Missing militairy Satelite?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well it's not surprising they lost one

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Already posted

Event Into space. Missing militairy Satelite?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well it's not surprising they lost one

I am completely surprised that more have not gone missing or collided in the past. We almost have an atmosphere of satellites.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

That image is merely representaive, not an actual image. Otherwise each of those sattelites would be dozens of miles wide! I'm sure you knew that though

Still, it is crowded up there!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i figure eventually, it'll all combine into one big machine platform, like a metal hull around the earth. that is, if things keep going the way they are now.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i figure eventually, it'll all combine into one big machine platform, like a metal hull around the earth. that is, if things keep going the way they are now.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

No, I understand that it's a representative picture like the ones they have simulating what the internet looks like. I just had never seen one that was for the satellites.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

reply to post by stumason

No, I understand that it's a representative picture like the ones they have simulating what the internet looks like. I just had never seen one that was for the satellites.

makes ya wonder how many of those glowing things ya see flying around in shuttle recordings, isn't just somebody's space junk

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Nice picture... I think we just found the reason why Intelligent life has not conatcted us yet.. Earth with that much crap floating around it reminds me of a trailer park in the appalachians.

You come driving down the road, see a sign of civilization, glance around the yard, and decide to head farther down th road in hopes of finding a neighbor, absent that you just leave the area and hope for the best.

Kind of like the galactic version of delivernace.

Not surprising they have been having issues with the GPS satellite system. Geosynchronous orbit can be problematic... At least they are getting back into the game... Competition is good...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

here is one from Norad. This was taken after China killed that satellite... The first image is just the sat debris, the second shows it dispersing, the third... the red is debris from the satellite, the green is everything Norad tracks and the green line is the ISS orbit.

Screen shot from AGI Viewer file of Chinese ASAT scenario (five minutes post-attack)

View of ISS Orbit (green) and Debris Ring (red) from Chinese ASAT Test

View of LEO Satellites (green) and Debris Ring (red) from Chinese ASAT Test

View of All Satellites including Debris Ring from Chinese ASAT Test Readily Visible

As of 2007 September 25 (another 160 TLEs were released on this date), 2,247 pieces of debris—including whatever's left of the original payload—have been catalogued by NORAD. That makes this event the largest debris-generating event on record—far surpassing the 713 pieces cataloged when the Pegasus rocket body that launched STEP 2 exploded on 1996 June 3. NASA's Orbital Debris Program Office estimates more than 35,000 pieces of debris larger than 1 cm from this event:

www.thelivingmoon.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Very nice Zorgon.

I reiterate... how do we not lose more of them?

(I also agree to it making it look like a trailer park. no wonder we haven't had en masse contact)

top topics

join