It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you do when the temperature drops below zero?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Buy a cast-iron wood stove, wool blankets,and wool clothes.Of course you will need a supply of wood for the stove.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
would i sound like an a$$ if i said 'turn the heating up'?
i'm guessing you live in a house, so even if you dont have heating, put a few layers on. jeez its cold put some more damn clothes on.
wierd

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Build a man a fire, and you keep him warm for one night...
Set a man on fire, and you keep him warm for life.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I heard that a single candle flame can keep you warm all night if used correctly.

Put the candle flame under a metal cook plate and adjust the height as needed.

Put your feet on the warm metal. Your feet are the farthest point from the heart and therefor the most difficult part to heat. If your feet are warmed the blood will circulate and your body will burn less calories trying to stay warm.

Use a blanket or socks as a heat buffer if needed.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
I know the basics

Build a fire and wear layers, but when the wind is howling and the temperature is well below zero (Fahrenheit) what do you do? I don't think wearing layers and building a fire will do.

I turn on the heat and make hot chocolate.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
There are different levels of cold environment.

In a situation where you are on frozen earthen ground, you would need to build a shelter to protect you from the wind, first and foremost, using any shelter building technique that allows a fire from within.

In snow, best shelter would be a low pine or spruce tree, snow cleared down to the ground. Try piling as much snow as possible around the bottom 5 feet of the tree (just keep shoveling onto the base of the tree. This way, you have shelter, and nutrients from the needles (edible) and possibly a good form of fuel to help get your fire lit (pine sap)

In an arctic or mountainous setting, you would use the snow itself as a shelter. In a case like this you would want no more than a candle (unless you find a good cave) to gauge the level of oxygen. Most efficient way to create a dug-in in a firmly packed drift, choose your spot carefully.

Not all cases can you afford to have a fire... but most you can.

Once your shelter is established, collect as much wood as you think you need, then multiply that by 3 (preferably 5).

You'll be good to survive... but for any extended survival, you may want to consider building more permanent shelters (makeshift log cabin, tepee, etc...)

TRY to stay dry, however that's not always possible... remove layers and keep dry layers on reserve... humid layers can be reversed and worn inside out to dry later on.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Kind of an open question (as solutions would depend on exact situation), but getreadyalready's advice was right on the money.

1. Get out of the wind (whether digging a hole in the ground or snow, or finding a tree hollow, cave, big rock, car, etc.)
2. Insulate yourself
3. Stay dry

If you can do all this, you've improved your odds considerably.

Of course a thermal blanket, other people, and a fire could certainly improve those odds further.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I usually put on a long-sleeved shirt, over my usual t-shirt. We are just getting over a week of temps averaging 40 below zero, with wind chills sometimes down around 60 below. Normal Winter weather for where I live. If a bloke ain't careful, he could possibly give new meaning to "golden arches".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join