It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Storm Bears Down On Australia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

i can absolutely assure you that you WILL NOT see any scenes like the ones the world saw in Katrina. you will not see in 3 days time people holding up signs for helicopters saying save us. this will show others just what a joke the response was to katrina. we have had the same warning time, and this is bigger than katrina.

No, they will get in there quick..
Ohh, and I don't think SWAT teams will go door to door, heavily armed, to confiscate guns..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I hope you realise the obs on willis island stopped 60km before the eye wall! The surge destroyed the equipment on the island.
Winds of 250-300kmph would only be observed only within 20-35km of the eye wall!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by exo87
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I hope you realise the obs on willis island stopped 60km before the eye wall! The surge destroyed the equipment on the island.
Winds of 250-300kmph would only be observed only within 20-35km of the eye wall!

Yeah, I noticed that...
It can't be that strong because it blew our equipment away..

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
OzWeatherman and backinblack - you guys gotta stop squabbling. The stakes are higher than 'I said, you said! '
Let's get some perspective.
Regardless of winds being lesser or greater they are high bloody winds and, at the point of writing this, Yasi indeed looks to be a monster. So, either way, the poor folks Down Under are in danger and need what ever support we can give. We should remember that just because some of us are not there, the impact of this will still affect us somehow because, ultimately, we are all connected...

Prayers for you Australia -

edit on 2-2-2011 by 5senses because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

The movie the perfect storm,was more than a movie. It was a warning.
You know how your local news has a doplar,that can watch weather move to a place,before its moving to that place?

Well the government has a doplar that can see years ahead. A government official told me this was how it was going to end,he told me this back in 2008. He said he was happy he was leaving this earth instead of just entering it. He said us future generations are going to be the first generations in a long time,that have it worse than our parents.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Not a lot I can say other than my best wishes are with all in the path of Yasi. Stay safe and good luck

edit on 2-2-2011 by fiftyfifty because: said Wilma for some reason (another Cat 5) :s

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Yes, I just watched a news update..
BOM is estimating wind gusts OVER 300 km/h..

They are predicting HUGE damage...
It's NOT a time to play down the problem..

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best..
Great motto in times like these...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Stream went down. That was entertaining. Can I get a link to another one?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I just moved to this small town in north QLD a few weeks ago and what I am seeing right now just blows my mind. Im not on the coast but I might as well be, the wind and rain..... Its insane! I cannot imagine what the residents between Innesfail and cardwell are going through!
The damaging winds are travelling the coastline now according to the news......
Man, glad I made that last grocery run this morning!
Thanks for this thread, I think what is happening, despite Aus's penchant for crazy weather, is dodgy as, could this have something to do with HAARP? Is whoever in charge trying to destabilize the Australian economy?
I hope Im wrong.

Best wishes for those on the coast, my prayers are with you

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
www.ustream.tv...

This link is from Innisfail which is closer to where Yasi will hit and where the poor buggers copped the worst of Cyclone Larry in 2006.

EDIT: Damn, now that cam is down too.
edit on 2/2/2011 by ThePatientMental because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This is crazy im in melb and just when we all thought this was over we are hearing its coming again. This is just insane but im confident we will pull through

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Don't know if this webcam has been posted yet. Alot of them are down now. It seems to have weather data on there also.

cairnsweathercam.com.au...

I've been through a cyclone in Cairns before....never again.

Have a look at the current situation on that page....."overcast and gloomy" - talk about an understatement!

edit on 2/2/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: I needed to edit

edit on 2/2/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
just watched the chanel 9 news and they showed a comparison of the huricane, its 650 km across with an eye of 100km so thats bigger than the whole state of victoria but add on all the other stuff around it and its bigger than the state of queensland!

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I dont post very much at all but l do read alot. I believe that Ozweatherman is one of the better thinkers on here by a fair margin. So get over the phrasing of his sentences and just accept that he dosn't think the winds are going to get to 300kms but thinks the media's hyping it up..simple really.
Just wondering, because of all the rain recently, the ground overall must be holding alot more moisture than usual. Will the cyclone hold up for longer once it crosses the coast because of the increased moisture levels in the ground/atmosphere?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottabesuss
I dont post very much at all but l do read alot. I believe that Ozweatherman is one of the better thinkers on here by a fair margin. So get over the phrasing of his sentences and just accept that he dosn't think the winds are going to get to 300kms but thinks the media's hyping it up..simple really.

Thankyou!!!!

Finally someone that actually gets what Im saying

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The authorities are fearing the worse. I overheard a phone call between my boss and an emergency worker in Townsville this afternoon. He said that 5,000 body bags were flown into Townsville last night. Let's hope they don't need them.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by gottabesuss

Thankyou!!!!

Finally someone that actually gets what Im saying

Your lost post before the dummy spit..

They have also dropped the max gusts to 290km/h....not 300km/h, and it look like its going to hit just south of Innisfail

Wow, not 300, only 290 OZ...I feel so much better.....

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
A couple of more webcams, I'm not sure how often they refresh though.

www.weather-forecast.com...

www.greatadventures.com.au...

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
reply to post by jonskie

The movie the perfect storm,was more than a movie. It was a warning.

Actually that movie was about the Atlantic storm in March of 1993.

I know because I was in it.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
We've got an aunt that lives in Cairns and is more or less gonna get it right over the top of where she lives. Mum rang em last night and seems they are all prepared for it with supplies and safety sorted. So I would say there will be huge structural damage thats a given, but the lose of life will be thankfully low (knock on wood).

Im wondering just how much of it will end up over here in NZ, as the weather guy this evening mentioned we've had the scrag end of 4 ex tropical cyclones from Australia this month or so (And some of it was pretty blustery). Not sure how long a category 5 will last, or how far it could travel. Hopefully its quick and burns itself out.
edit on 2-2-2011 by BigfootNZ because: meh meh

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join